New Combo

fourvalvegt

Established Member
I am putting together a new motor and different power adder for my car. My old combo was b headed 96 gt with a p1sc-2 that made 440 hp at 5000 rpm and never ran past that due to a lack of a fuel system. It also had aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft 3.73 gears, Bassani catted x pipe, SLP loudmouths, and spec 3 clutch.
The new motor will consist of 8.5:1 compression, c heads, 01 cobra intake, 3/8ths phenolic spacer, aluminum driveshaft, aluminum flywheel, spec 3 clutch, 3.73 gears, coil on plug conversion, PSR K member, Megabite Jr. control arms, Bassani catted x pipe, and SLP loudmouths. As far as what the new power adder is it will be a TNT Nitrous Kit that will start out with a 150 shot and possibly go up from there. I may also decide to change the gears again for either a 3.90 or 4.10 because this car will start seeing a lot more road trips.
The reasons for the change are; I get bored extremely easily:shrug:, I had a forged C-headed motor lying around, I want an extremely clean engine bay without spark plug wires, no belt issues, or blowing pipes apart, I would like to hit more shows and cruises now too.:coolman::coolman:
As far as progress goes it will more than likely be slower than normal because I broke my wrist yesterday:poke:, and live in a different city than the shop so I can only work weekends. Today I pulled the whole drive train out, and tomorrow plan to reassemble the heads and at least get the long block in the car and everything on the bottom all together but it is very difficult with only one hand. If I have the time I will also wire up the coils and modify the coolant crossover.
My goals with the car are to have it done and waiting to be tuned by February 8th. I would also like to drive it more than I do now, cleaner engine bay and 320 hp to the wheels naturally aspirated.:banana::banana::banana:

fourvalvegt

Established Member
it is a built motor that was intended for boost just changed directions and it wont be as bad as most people make it out to be. i still have the supercharger incase i want top put it back on or i can go turbo too

fourvalvegt

Established Member
Just wanted to update anyone who was interested. I got the heads all assembled and started putting together the long block. I still need to time the cams and just got done ordering a bunch of parts. In my attempt to remedy the issues that come with age I have ordered energy suspension motor and transmission mounts, and new idlers. I also ordered the msd fuel injector pigtails to replace the crappy ford pieces that have the clips get old and brake off. I ordered all my coils and will also be ordering my coil covers tommorow for the coil on plug conversion. I also ordered a stock intake tube that goes to the throttle body and will be using a completely stock intake with a K&N filter. I also ordered a new upper radiator hose to replace the piece that was modified for the procharger.
Friday my plans are to time the cams, finish assembling the long block, modify the coolant crossover for c heads, modify and re-tape the trans, engine, and starter harness, install the flywheel and clutch onto the motor and atleast get it dropped into the car and try to finish up everything on the top end.
So all the new stuff going into the car is: motor mounts, trans mount, fluidyne radiator, throttle cable, cruise control cable, clutch cable, upper radiator hose, all new gaskets, new idlers, head studs, c head conversion with 99 cobra cams, 01 cobra intake, 3/8ths phenolic spacer, and many more thing i am sure i am forgetting

Shangsta

Phat back
Established Member
Not trying to hate but i really do think you should consider putting the sc on it. I personally think 8.5:1 is low for a s/c application but na it will fall on its face. And who runs 87 anyway...

fourvalvegt

Established Member
Ill probably just throw a turbo kit on it, but for now this is the way that I am getting it running. I already have a turbo and most of the supporting parts Ill just do it when I feel like it and my wrist is not broken.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
Just wanted to update everyone. Last weekend I did the coil on plug conversion and got the whole motor set in and everything that I had hooked up. The rest that I have is install spark plugs, coils, coil covers, pcv system, modify the coolant crossover, and install the intake tube when it arrives.
It will hopefully get tuned within a week or two after having everything all fired up and burped.
I also installed a new Fluidyne radiator while I was at it, and have been fixing small issues that I have been meaning to do since I bought the car.

BMF42

Drive it like u STOLE IT
Established Member
Sounds like fun! I wish you would post up some pics of the progress. Either way you go its going to be a fun car. Good luck.

Al

fourvalvegt

Established Member
Sounds like fun! I wish you would post up some pics of the progress. Either way you go its going to be a fun car. Good luck.

Al

Ill try to get some pictures up this weekend, the batteries in my camera have been dead and I have been spending all my time while Im down there working on it with a messed up wrist. Ill try and get some posted on Friday night, is there anything that anyone wants to see?

fourvalvegt

Established Member
Just wanted to update everyone. Finally got the car running about 3 hours ago and plan to finish it up tommorow. All that I have left is retape up the wiring harness for the coil on plug conversion, burp the cooling system, install the coil covers, reinstall intake tube with maf when a customer brings it back, and clean up the interior and exterior of it. I was having the same issue that svt97dohc was having. We both had the stock coil harnesses out of cobras and tried to wire up the coils in parallel when they needed to be wired up in series. Once we changed that the car fired right up.
I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow I finally found my camera and got batteries in it.
I can't wait to take this car out on the street and drive it again. Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to throw it onto the dyno and verify the air fuel and change the tune if there are drive ability issues. I doubt there will be because it is such a basic setup that we decided to just turn off all the emissions in the computer and use a Mach 1 performance tune as the basis of what the car will be tuned on. (We have a few Mach 1s with almost this exact same combination)

Users who are viewing this thread