New Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Encounter

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Last night I was driving home and one of these came up behind me rapidly, so I laid into it to see what would happen. I was in 4th gear at the time.

This was a Charger (4 door), not a Challenger Hell Cat. New one because it has the LED daytime running lights.

What happened? Nothing. He couldn't come around me. In fact I put about two car lengths on him before I lifted.

I guess my mods are working after all, and they are mild mods: 93 octane Brenspeed tune, air cleaner baffle bypass, and 65mm FRPP throttle body. Otherwise everything else is stock.

Interesting.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You sure it was a hellcat?

A 392 car can be equipped to look VERY similar to an HC.... lighting package and all.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
You sure it was a hellcat?

A 392 car can be equipped to look VERY similar to an HC.... lighting package and all.

We had to both stop for a traffic light. I saw the hellcat emblem on the side.

He gave me a long look too. I just did a boy scout salute and went on my way.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Your Shelby is no punk. It would take a very powerful car to come around you.

Thank you; I agree. Since moving to San Antonio, I have a helluva time getting traction with those 315s Nitto drag radials on the back. Roads are slick as sheyet here. I can easily get her loose in 4th gear just punching it. Fortunately I was doing about 55 yesterday when I hit it.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
image.gif

He gave me a long look too. I just did a boy scout salute and went on my way.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I can most definitely attest to how shitty roads are in San Antonio. I have been all over the country and roads here are the worse I've experienced. It's like they poured chorizo juices all over the roads here. Very slick.

My bone stock car can break the tires loose in 3rd at like 2-3k RPMs if I get on the loud pedal. Very few roads with traction here.

RBB

Established Member
Nice.

You lost me at the part about breaking 315 drag radials loose in 4th gear tho.

Are the streets made of glass where you live?
Yeah, that's a little much. I make about 700 wheel and don't have much of a problem hooking 2nd if they're warmed up. No way you're going to break DRs loose in 4th gear at that power level.

Also, our cars with minor mods aren't really any faster than a stock Hellcat. From a roll like that, he either didn't have his foot all the way in the gas or was in a high gear. Those cars are quick.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I can most definitely attest to how shitty roads are in San Antonio. I have been all over the country and roads here are the worse I've experienced. It's like they poured chorizo juices all over the roads here. Very slick.

My bone stock car can break the tires loose in 3rd at like 2-3k RPMs if I get on the loud pedal. Very few roads with traction here.

Yeah but 4th with 315 dr's? Come on.

Zy what tires do you run? DR's make a HUGE difference in my experience in these higher hp cars.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member

Zy what tires do you run? DR's make a HUGE difference in my experience in these higher hp cars.
Yessir, and them with 26 psi air in them.

The roads are glass, and there's this fine white powder from construction everywhere.

Hell, I even ordered some pimp juice and doctored them a couple of weeks ago and I still can't get decent traction!

Up in Dallas I had no problems hooking with those tires!

BlueAngel2014

Established Member

And when it's wet it's slicker than owl sheyet on a hot greasy griddle!!

Thanks. I was thinking my tires had gone sour on me. Now you confirm what I was suspecting--the roads sux.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member

I hear you, very far fetched. Just stating my experience with the roads here. While at 430ish whp on my camaro, i used to break 555Rs and R888s in second sometimes....

Im giving OP the benefit of the doubt and maybe all the "right" conditions were present for him to lose a bit of traction in 4th.

I swear its like they pour kitchen grease all over the roads here, not to mention all the unevenness.

The shelby is completely bone stock, still on stock rubber, 285 eagle f1s.

Its like ice skating.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I hear you, very far fetched. Just stating my experience with the roads here. While at 430ish whp on my camaro, i used to break 555Rs and R888s in second sometimes....

Im giving OP the benefit of the doubt and maybe all the "right" conditions were present for him to lose a bit of traction in 4th.

I swear its like they pour kitchen grease all over the roads here, not to mention all the unevenness.

The shelby is completely bone stock, still on stock rubber, 285 eagle f1s.

Its like ice skating.

I can romp it in 4th doing 40-50, and feel the ass end wiggling! I have to ease into the gas, especially in curves!

I think they are putting some sort of sealer on the pavement that is causing this.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I can romp it in 4th doing 40-50, and feel the ass end wiggling! I have to ease into the gas, especially in curves!

I think they are putting some sort of sealer on the pavement that is causing this.

Sorry to break the bad news but Ive been here for years and the roads have always been like this. FTL.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Sorry to break the bad news but Ive been here for years and the roads have always been like this. FTL.

Damn, damn, damn! I guess that will keep me on my toes when driving!

I guess I can put her back to strictly stock.

Troponin

Established Member
Ok, so you were in 4th gear, at what speed? How long did you stay on it? 4th gear in these high hp cars is moving pretty good, and unless you shut it down at 150+ at that point, it wasn't really a good race. Not to mention, he was behind you and probably didn't get to react to your taking off for probably 2 seconds. That means you already had him by 30mph, which means he had to also make up for that as well.

I attempted to race a Mustang GT in a similar circumstance and actually had trouble because of these issues. I know for a damn fact my car will toast a GT too. By the time I made up for the difference and was about to reel him in, he was shutting it down.

Lastly, are you sure he was racing you?

Just some thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread