New Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Encounter

chris1badL

Established Member
Ok, so you were in 4th gear, at what speed? How long did you stay on it? 4th gear in these high hp cars is moving pretty good, and unless you shut it down at 150+ at that point, it wasn't really a good race. Not to mention, he was behind you and probably didn't get to react to your taking off for probably 2 seconds. That means you already had him by 30mph, which means he had to also make up for that as well.

I attempted to race a Mustang GT in a similar circumstance and actually had trouble because of these issues. I know for a damn fact my car will toast a GT too. By the time I made up for the difference and was about to reel him in, he was shutting it down.

Lastly, are you sure he was racing you?

Just some thoughts.

He drives a newer GT500. There equally matched stock for stock. A GT would not even be fair if not boosted. Lol. I'd like to run a GT500 in my hellcat but mine is somewhat modified

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
He drives a newer GT500. There equally matched stock for stock. A GT would not even be fair if not boosted. Lol. I'd like to run a GT500 in my hellcat but mine is somewhat modified

Trop has a point.... many things could have influenced the outcome.... it can be difficult catching up to even a slower car that has a head start... doesnt sound like an actual race, more like just a fun go at the trottle for both cars...

No offense to OP

Troponin

Established Member
The top end of the HC is much stronger than the GT500, which is why I was asking how fast they were going when he shut it down. Down low, the GT500 is strong as hell though, for sure.

This is just a poor set up for a race. Like I said, it could take a couple seconds for the car behind him to even get in to the right gear and floor it, causing him to easily pull away.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
The top end of the HC is much stronger than the GT500, which is why I was asking how fast they were going when he shut it down. Down low, the GT500 is strong as hell though, for sure.

Havent seen many vids of HC vs Trinity out there...

Not saying I disagree but cant wait to test that out for myself...

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Always cool to meet up with another powerhouse on the street even if you're just blipping the throttle between lights.
Doesn't happen enough for me sad to say. I live in an area where there are a ton of high end power cars, but the douches driving them don't want to disturb thier golf clubs in the back. (I like golf and not knocking it.. Just painting a picture...I don't want to wind up in smackdown)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
so the op does a 4th gear race (well over 100 mph) and then meets the hellcat at the next stoplight with his drag radials on at 26psi, but then there was no dig race?

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Ok, so you were in 4th gear, at what speed? How long did you stay on it? 4th gear in these high hp cars is moving pretty good, and unless you shut it down at 150+ at that point, it wasn't really a good race. Not to mention, he was behind you and probably didn't get to react to your taking off for probably 2 seconds. That means you already had him by 30mph, which means he had to also make up for that as well.

I attempted to race a Mustang GT in a similar circumstance and actually had trouble because of these issues. I know for a damn fact my car will toast a GT too. By the time I made up for the difference and was about to reel him in, he was shutting it down.

Lastly, are you sure he was racing you?

Just some thoughts.

YWell I can't say that he was racing me, but he was in my lane and came up on me like a bat out of hell(cat?). I was doing 150 when I let off. He was going a helluva lot faster than I was when I saw him in the rear view mirror. I was around 55 or 60. I floored it and held it down. He never came around me; he got about 2-3 car lengths and never did anything else. That's what happened. With my mods I am probably well over the hallowed 707HP too. The 65mm throttle body really adds some punch to the car as well as the tune. Not hard to add 50 HP with such.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
so the op does a 4th gear race (well over 100 mph) and then meets the hellcat at the next stoplight with his drag radials on at 26psi, but then there was no dig race?

LMFAO. I turned left into my subdivision at the light. I was going home.

paluka21

Established Member
OP- I'm sure your tuned car with a 65mm throttle body is fast, but if you would have raced that auto hellcat challenger from dig, the hellcat could have easily ate your lunch, unless you're great at launching your car on the street. Hellcats are no slouch and are prone to spinning as well, but the auto trans helps dramatically from a dig even on the street. It also sounds like the hellcat wasn't even trying when you were in 4th gear and mashed it. 50mph in 4th gear and you floored it, and the auto hellcat couldn't keep up? If he were really trying he would have blown past you given that you stayed in 4th gear from 50-150mph. No question about that.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but let's get real man. A trinity with a tune and 65mm throttle body is no slouch, but it's not gonna lay the snack down on an auto hellcat when staying in 4th gear from 50mph.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
ops car is powerful enough that if he nailed it before the hellcat behind him did and got going then it's plausible he wouldn't have been passed to the speeds he said they were running. They weren't side by side when it kicked off. It's hard to pass up another fast car that is in front of you and takes off before you when it doesn't last long enough. Not saying eventually he wouldn't have been passed. Or maybe the hellcat driver just wanted to stay up with him and didn't feel the need to pass him.

paluka21

Established Member
ops car is powerful enough that if he nailed it before the hellcat behind him did and got going then it's plausible he wouldn't have been passed to the speeds he said they were running. They weren't side by side when it kicked off. It's hard to pass up another fast car that is in front of you and takes off before you when it doesn't last long enough. Not saying eventually he wouldn't have been passed. Or maybe the hellcat driver just wanted to stay up with him and didn't feel the need to pass him.

Sorry there is no way the hellcat was trying. 4th gear in a stock geared trinity at 50mph, he may have been at 2000rpms. Even if he floored it slightly before the hellcat, which was trailing right on his rear, he couldn't get his rpms up enough to build power and hold a hellcat off if the hellcat were trying.
We'll just say the hellcat driver wanted to admire the ass end of the Shelby and check it out.

Snoopy49

Established Member
This is just a poor set up for a race. Like I said, it could take a couple seconds for the car behind him to even get in to the right gear and floor it, causing him to easily pull away.

I would think it would be pretty hard to be in the wrong gear with an automatic Hellcat. Unless the auto doesn't automatically downshift when required.
Assuming it was an auto and not a manual.

paluka21

Established Member
I would think it would be pretty hard to be in the wrong gear with an automatic Hellcat. Unless the auto doesn't automatically downshift when required.
Assuming it was an auto and not a manual.
Snoopy-

All Hellcat Chargers are automatics.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Sorry there is no way the hellcat was trying. 4th gear in a stock geared trinity at 50mph, he may have been at 2000rpms. Even if he floored it slightly before the hellcat, which was trailing right on his rear, he couldn't get his rpms up enough to build power and hold a hellcat off if the hellcat were trying.
We'll just say the hellcat driver wanted to admire the ass end of the Shelby and check it out.

I was doing 55-60.

You do know these cars will do 0-150 in 15 seconds, don't you?

Believe what you want.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not disputing the power level of a hellcat, but a 4 door charger hellcat, has got to be at a 600 lb. weight disadvantage. Might help on a dig, but a roll it would be a distict disadvantage.

Troponin

Established Member
Not disputing the power level of a hellcat, but a 4 door charger hellcat, has got to be at a 600 lb. weight disadvantage. Might help on a dig, but a roll it would be a distict disadvantage.

The ironic thing is, this isn't true. The gearing and torque of the HC makes it an interesting performer. The GT500 is quicker off the line, but the HC hits 150mph faster than the GT500 in stock form...by a full 2 seconds, according to some tests. It also pulls some pretty crazy 1/2 mile and standing mile times. It was DESIGNED for high speeds, which is why they are wicked on the highway and rolling. So it's the opposite; if you want more of a chance in a GT500, you're better off from a dig.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member

600 pounds is a disadvantage regardless of starting from a dig or rolling.

Acceleration is inversely proportional to mass; less mass, more acceleration, regardless of speed. Physics 101. A = F/m

Moral of the story, he couldn't pass me because we were pretty much equal, in fact, I probably had the advantage of a tad more HP and 600 pounds less weight.

Don't you think anyone driving a hellcat that sees a Shelby GT 500 would want to pass them????

Users who are viewing this thread