New Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Encounter

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
The ironic thing is, this isn't true. The gearing and torque of the HC makes it an interesting performer. The GT500 is quicker off the line, but the HC hits 150mph faster than the GT500 in stock form...by a full 2 seconds, according to some tests. It also pulls some pretty crazy 1/2 mile and standing mile times. It was DESIGNED for high speeds, which is why they are wicked on the highway and rolling. So it's the opposite; if you want more of a chance in a GT500, you're better off from a dig.

And GT500 hit 202mph in testing last time I checked. Ours were made for high speed too.

WTF is this board, an SVT board or a Mopar board?????

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Truth is there are not a lot of tests or races out of the two (HC vs Trinity). HC just seems to do better in the 1/4.

If there are any stock HC in San Antonio, Id be happy to meet up and run them for comparison sake.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
600 pounds is a disadvantage regardless of starting from a dig or rolling.
With high horsepower cars on street tires, I think the fatter one would have better traction on a launch, but it's game over after that. I know how my car is in first three gears and traction is not something I would brag about. With a couple of passengers, it hooks a little better.

The ironic thing is, this isn't true. The gearing and torque of the HC makes it an interesting performer. The GT500 is quicker off the line, but the HC hits 150mph faster than the GT500 in stock form...by a full 2 seconds, according to some tests. It also pulls some pretty crazy 1/2 mile and standing mile times. It was DESIGNED for high speeds, which is why they are wicked on the highway and rolling. So it's the opposite; if you want more of a chance in a GT500, you're better off from a dig.
I don't think you have too many stock GT500s on this board. I know I'm not. I'm not arguing the advantage of a multi-geared automatic either. What do you consider "crazy" 1/2 mile and mile "times". Neither are "timed" events. It's all about top speed.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Truth is there are not a lot of tests or races out of the two (HC vs Trinity). HC just seems to do better in the 1/4.

If there are any stock HC in San Antonio, Id be happy to meet up and run them for comparison sake.

That is not surprising. The automatic transmission gives the HC the advantage in the 1/4. You simply can't outshift the computer.

ALL serious drag racers use automatic transmissions. Usually 2 speed Powerglides with transbrakes.

I have a 2006 GT with a Level 10 RR55S automatic and precision industries 2800 rpm stall converter, and a Saleen SC @8 psi boost, and it would out run the first generation S197 based Shelby GT500's. I ran 7.8's all night long on an 1/8th mile track compared to their 8.2's. They simply couldn't believe a little SCed 4.6 was whipping their 5.4's asses, but it was!

Why? The automatic transmission.

Troponin

Established Member
With high horsepower cars on street tires, I think the fatter one would have better traction on a launch, but it's game over after that. I know how my car is in first three gears and traction is not something I would brag about. With a couple of passengers, it hooks a little better.

I don't think you have too many stock GT500s on this board. I know I'm not. I'm not arguing the advantage of a multi-geared automatic either. What do you consider "crazy" 1/2 mile and mile "times". Neither are "timed" events. It's all about top speed.

Sorry, meant to say speeds, not times.

Stock HCs are running 155-158mph in the 1/2 mile and 178-181 in the standing mile. The only test I can find with a stock GT500 is from a magazine and it gave times to 150mph, and the HC was a full 2 seconds faster, which means, the 1/2 mile will be several mph difference between the two

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Stock HCs are running 155-158mph in the 1/2 mile and 178-181 in the standing mile. The only test I can find with a stock GT500 is from a magazine and it gave times to 150mph, and the HC was a full 2 seconds faster, which means, the 1/2 mile will be several mph difference between the two
Goes to prove what you posted earlier on Hellcats having more power up top. More so than the low and mid power range. Great amount of torque as well.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree with OP, the magic happens with a well geared auto. Look at how well GTRs run for the weight/power.

Manual to manual I think it will be close.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm dubious of those numbers. Shelby's run similar speeds with about 675-700 "rear wheel" horsepower. I don't think stock hellcats put out near that much rwhp and with the weight disadvantage and a similar coefficient of drag, you'd need 750 rwhp in one of those portly gals to get 180 in the mile. Looking at the March 2017 Texas Mile recap. I see a bunch of these cars in the 176 mph range and one as low as 170 mph. I see a few faster, but only a couple mph and appear to be racing teams. I have seen bone stock 13-14s GT500s run 176. I see a whole lot more Shelby running over 180 than hellcats and I will concede they are likely not stock. http://www.texasmile.net/mileresults.php?page=1&ps=1&event=23

Troponin

Established Member
I'm dubious of those numbers. Shelby's run similar speeds with about 675-700 "rear wheel" horsepower. I don't think stock hellcats put out near that much rwhp and with the weight disadvantage and a similar coefficient of drag, you'd need 750 rwhp in one of those portly gals to get 180 in the mile. Looking at the March 2017 Texas Mile recap. I see a bunch of these cars in the 176 mph range and one as low as 170 mph. I see a few faster, but only a couple mph and appear to be racing teams. I have seen bone stock 13-14s GT500s run 176. I see a whole lot more Shelby running over 180 than hellcats and I will concede they are likely not stock. http://www.texasmile.net/mileresults.php?page=1&ps=1&event=23

Yeah, unfortunately, none of those GT500s are stock. I guess this is what makes it so difficult to compare. Keep in mind too that the HC's power is underrated based on the dynos out there. They are actually closer to 740 crank hp.

Stock Hellcat here doing the Texas mile at 182.3mph

http://speedsociety.com/editorial/the-texas-mile-1-mile-no-speed-limit/

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Sorry there is no way the hellcat was trying. 4th gear in a stock geared trinity at 50mph, he may have been at 2000rpms. Even if he floored it slightly before the hellcat, which was trailing right on his rear, he couldn't get his rpms up enough to build power and hold a hellcat off if the hellcat were trying.
We'll just say the hellcat driver wanted to admire the ass end of the Shelby and check it out.

I just did a little test. For those in San Antonio, I was on 1604 in the Alamo Ranch area. Old pavement; blacktop, so old it is nearly the color of concrete. Temperature here 95-97.

Was in 4th, doing 60--2250ish rpm. Nailed the gas, and the ass end wiggled with those 315 NT05's on it! Yes at 60 mph. Roads sux donkey dix here!

Got on a newly laid piece of blacktop and did the same thing at 60. This time it hooked and in 3 seconds I was at 100 and still pulling like a frigging freight train. I do believe mine has more than 662 hp!

Also remember this about automatic transmissions--at full throttle they slip through the torque converter unless you have the transmission program changed. On my old 06, when I drag race, I load a race program that as soon as it does the 1-2 shift, it locks the TC for the remaining 2-3 and 3-4 shifts.

A stick will pull harder at higher speeds due to no such slip, unless your clutch is fried.

All in all, I am very happy with my car and the way it performs. It isn't the fastest one out there but it ain't the slowest one either.

If I had an extra garage space, I'd love to have a Challenger HC, but not a 4 door Charger HC. Nothing wrong with them, but I was raised in the 60's when hot cars had 2 doors. I like coupes.

I may have to take my GT500
to Beeville in October and see what it will do in a mile. First I have to find some tires that can handle such speed. While these NT05s are great, the sidewall is too soft for serious speeds like that.

I'm thinking the new NT555 summer performance tire or Toyo R888's.

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
I still don't believe a tuned/throttle body car is holding off a hellcat when rolling into the throttle in 4th gear (1:1 ratio), at 2000rpm and pulling even with a hellcat charger. Unless it was a V6 with hellcat badges it's simply not possible.
Example: my car, 3.73 gears, rest of car was stock. I ran a hellcat charger on the interstate from 40-130ish. Started in 2nd gear, ended at the top of 4th. Our cars were dead even, nose to nose. If I would have started in 4th even if the hellcat were behind me, he would have ran around me.
And I'm not a homer for any car, just using common sense.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member

Stock is a relative term. If someone looked at mine, unless they have a good eye, they'd assume it was stock.

All of these cars come from the factory tuned for the salad oil 91 (R+M)/2 fuel sold in places like California. However in the South we have 93 and just tuning for that is good for 40-50 more hp.

Does Sunoco still offer 94?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
image.gif
I'm with op on this

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I still don't believe a tuned/throttle body car is holding off a hellcat when rolling into the throttle in 4th gear (1:1 ratio), at 2000rpm and pulling even with a hellcat charger. Unless it was a V6 with hellcat badges it's simply not possible.
Example: my car, 3.73 gears, rest of car was stock. I ran a hellcat charger on the interstate from 40-130ish. Started in 2nd gear, ended at the top of 4th. Our cars were dead even, nose to nose. If I would have started in 4th even if the hellcat were behind me, he would have ran around me.
And I'm not a homer for any car, just using common sense.

Well goody for you; believe what your want because I really don't give a flying **** at a rolling doughnut what you believe or think.

Thanks for calling me a liar. I was doing more like 60 @ 2250 rpm and I didn't "roll into the throttle," I stomped it through the goddamn floor board and glued my foot down.

Capiche?

Last edited:

paluka21

Established Member
Well goody for you; believe what your want because I really don't give a flying **** at a rolling doughnut what you believe or think.

Thanks for calling me a liar. I was doing more like 60 @ 2250 rpm and I didn't "roll into the throttle," I stomped it through the goddamn floor board and glued my foot down.

Capiche?
Oh I think you do care or you wouldn't continue to be trying to convince everyone about your improbable feat.
Race a real Hellcat like that and you'll get embarrassed. Just admit it, the other guy probably wasn't trying.
Capiche? Now, back to reality...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread