New Dog Issues

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Looking for some advice from the dog experts here.

I have an English Lab that I've had since he was a pup. A few days ago, I got another dog from my breeder. He is my dog's brother - same litter, same age. Give me some guidance on assimilating the new dog into my house. We did the whole meet on neutral territory when I first brought him home. The new dog snapped when the old dog got in his face. Nothing fierce and was clearly just a reaction, but snapped nonetheless. We've been slowly introducing them. I had both in the backyard and they were interacting well and then fought. We're having to keep the new dog separated from the old one save for select interactions like leashed walks and whatnot. I understand the whole establishing dominance thing, but this is getting annoying.

Give me some tips.

Edit: I forgot to mention. Both dogs are 2 years old.

Last edited:

canibus

Established Member
smack him, don't be afraid to give him a smack on the ass to let him know it won't be tolerated. I'm not saying wail on him, just enought to get his attention. Right now it seems he's working his way up the dominance ladder. Don't let him do it, both dogs should be equal. You as the alpha must let him know this.

If you're going to take my approach, make sure you do it when he gets snappy with the other dog. Don't just smack him for no reason, thought i'd clear that up.

Last edited by a moderator:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it is rare to have two beta males. Almost always there will be an alpha between the dogs.

The one I've had since he was a puppy listens very well. I don't even have to yell at him. If I just look at him a certain way, he knows to stop. I think the new one may just be trying to find his order in the house? I'm trying to figure out how to get the two dogs comfortable with each other.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I forgot to say that both dogs are 2 years old, so I'm not dealing with puppies. Just some more background, my dog was socialized as a pup, so he is used to other dogs. The new dog came from a breeder and spent most of his life around other dogs.

jredwood

rainy day poster
Established Member
smack him, don't be afraid to give him a smack on the ass to let him know it won't be tolerated. I'm not saying wail on him, just enought to get his attention. Right now it seems he's working his way up the dominance ladder. Don't let him do it, both dogs should be equal. You as the alpha must let him know this.

If you're going to take my approach, make sure you do it when he gets snappy with the other dog. Don't just smack him for no reason, thought i'd clear that up.

dont listen to this guy!!!!!!!!!!!

first you need to separate them for a few days so the new dog can get used to his new surroundings without any interference. once the new dog is used to his new surroundings you can gradually introduce them to each other. maybe a couple hours at a time then separate for the day. then repeat the process by going for 4 hours then separate and then 6 and separate. then they will eventually get used to each other. this can be a slow process but it should work. remember this is going to be difficult for both dogs so be patient. also make sure you have separate feeding areas away from both dogs this can create aggression if they are feeding next to each other. if you have anymore questions feel free to pm me.

PureSound15

Established Member
My sisters dog likes to snap at mine whenever they're around eachother.

What works every single time is my dominance over both of them. I have no problem holding both of them down face to face (never hurting either - i'm sure you've seen "the dog whisperer" hold a dog down creating the bite action with thumb and fingers.

After that - both dogs realize I'm the "pack leader" and don't go after eachother.

it might be bullsh1t or luck, but it works:shrug:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member

first you need to separate them for a few days so the new dog can get used to his new surroundings without any interference. once the new dog is used to his new surroundings you can gradually introduce them to each other. maybe a couple hours at a time then separate for the day. then repeat the process by going for 4 hours then separate and then 6 and separate. then they will eventually get used to each other. this can be a slow process but it should work. remember this is going to be difficult for both dogs so be patient. also make sure you have separate feeding areas away from both dogs this can create aggression if they are feeding next to each other. if you have anymore questions feel free to pm me.

They've been separated and we've been gradually introducing them. Maybe I expected too much too soon? I do feed them separately.

Should we continue having them interact through leashed walks and things of that nature? I have a fenced in backyard, but I don't want to let them interact like that just yet for a couple reasons.

Thanks, btw.

jredwood

rainy day poster
Established Member
any engaging activities that takes their minds of each other is a good idea. just be patient and encourage them for good behavior around each other. another thing is watch for signs of aggression when they are together so you can disengage them before it escalates.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
10-4. I think we're going to keep doing the walks a few times a day so there's no territorial issues. I just talked to my breeder and she offered some good advice and also said that everything that's happened so far is to be expected for two adult males. I guess I was being super naive to think they'd be fast friends.

It's funny. I bought an adult dog instead of a puppy because I didn't want to deal with the puppy headaches again. In hindsight, a puppy would perhaps be less trouble. lol

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
good luck BreBar21!:beer:

Thanks, man. If I think of anything else. I'll bounce you a PM. :beer:

Are they both neutered?

Yup. I got them from a legitimate breeder, so, like you surely know, they require it. The old dog was neutered when he was a pup and the new one was neutered at the start of October when I agreed to buy him.

canibus

Established Member

Also make sure you put a bib around their necks and spoon feed them. Give them a massage and polish their nails.

Jesus Christ it's a dog, do you have any idea how rough the pack leader is in the wild. I haven't had to spank my dog since she was a puppy. Did I mess her up psychologically? No. She's perfectly normal, very playful and very affectionate. If you have a different way of doing things, fine. But don't come in here and say not to listen to me. Who knows, my way might actually work for him. At the end of the day it's his decision on how to handle it.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Different schools of thought. Just like raising a child. I appreciate all the advice.

Common

Established Member

You're the guy that puts his kids on time-out after they burn the house down and sodomize neighbors cat, aren't you?

jredwood

rainy day poster
Established Member
not looking to get into a pissin match with either of u guys (kannibis and common) , but i know bad advice for a certain problem when i see it.

chromeyellow98

Established Member
walk the two dogs together on leashes so that they build "teamwork" to get them to work and live together as opposed to against each other.

Users who are viewing this thread