New drag radial choices

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
It is time for new radials on my mustang. The MT ET S/S are worn and I am hoping for some 10s as it gets cooler this season. Suspension mods are next but I am going to start with the tire and a viking drag shock (not sure if crusader or warrior series, right now leaning crusaders).

The current wheel/tire combo is AMR 18x10.5s with MT ET S/S 305/40/18s so a 28" tall tire. I am now shifting into 4th at about 120 and trapping 128 or so in the heat, expecting closer to 130s when it cools off. That is leaning me towards a 26" tire. This is a car I drive to work 2-3 times a week on the same tires so that probably rules out most slick style tires but I am open to that approach. My 60's are terrible because I am not launching in boost with stock stall. Tire hasn't really been an issue spinning. Next season I will be adding a stall but want to start with tire/shocks first to see if that helps any.

Options:
1-315/35/18 MT ET S/S - will these even fit?
2- 275/40/18 MT ET S/S
3- switch rim to a 15 or 16? Will a 15 even fit?

Last edited:

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
If a 15 fits will depend on you brakes. Stock GT brakes, a 15 should fit. I have a 315/20 MT SS on a 10" rim but run a 275 pro on a 15. I don't know why you aren't in the 10s now with what you are saying.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
1.91 60' is why plus spinning on the 1-2 and 2-3 pretty substantially. Hoping new tires and shocks will help with all of these issues.

MG0h3

Established Member
^^^I agree. The SS does not hold like the ET Street IIs did even though they claim its the same compound and construction just with a couple extra grooves.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Crap, edited my post above. My rims are 18s not 17s which limits the tire selection a lot more. Not finding much for 18" DRs other than the ET SS, NT05R and Hoosier drag radials which seem to be my options unless I go with a new 15 or 16" rim for a bias ply.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
ended up just buying the MT ET SS 305/35/18s. The ET Street R's are only in 15s or 17s. This should allow me to shift into 4th at 115 mph instead of ~121 mph on my 128 mph trap so give me a little more 4th gear boost.

I also got the viking warrior shocks. Pretty pumped for Oct 20 Cleetus and Cars in Houston.

termcobra281

Established Member
If you ever wanted to do 15s for slicks they will work I just done my cobra, but i do have sea ya will need low profile brake lines from mm, and grind a bolt it is very tight but it will work

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
With your current set up I think you bought the right tire. Once you add a converter I would consider switching to a 15 with a 295 MT S/S tire on there. If you dont plan on driving it in rain I would highly suggest the 275/60/15 ET Street R as that tire will hold quite a bit of power.

The 15s will fit but you will have to install relocation brackets for your swap bar or swap to a different sway bar such as the Whiteline. You could always install a ARB but for a car that sees a lot of street duty I would advise against it. With a ARB installed there will be no give in the back which is good for racing but on the street it gets old fast.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Thanks Riddick, that matches what ive been seeing online as well. Stall may be another year and may be earlier so thats when i will get serious on the launching. For now it is more of a daily so these tires make sense and can maybe break i to the 10s w them.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

clinton2003

Established Member
1.91 60' is why plus spinning on the 1-2 and 2-3 pretty substantially. Hoping new tires and shocks will help with all of these issues.
a shorter tire will make it harder for it to stick on 1-2, and 2-3. will also promote more wheel spin on launch. essentially you are now running a much shorter gear which is like gaining torque. I'd start off by lowering your launch speed and seeing how it does.

you would have been better off putting a 15x8" wheel with some 275 MT Pro Radials or better yet a full slick (or some hoosier QTP's that are a bias dot tire that work well) and just swap them at the track.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Thanks Clinton for the feedback. I went the tallest tire I could and didnt like the end of the track performance. I may end up going a 26" slick in the future but my last race car had to be towed to and from the track. That is my main thing I said when I got this car is it needs to be streetable.
I may next get a separate set of rims next but still needed the streetable tires. My burnouts on the last set were too mu h but I went from 11.90s to 11.29s on this set in 1 year. If I can get to high 10s on these tires Ill be happy.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Also Clinton, I am not spinning at all on the launch which to me says I can handle more tire. Looking forward to this saturday, hopefully it doesnt rain for cleetus & cars!! I will post up the 60' and 1/4 if I do get a few runs in this weekend with the new setup.

clinton2003

Established Member
If your bogging on launch you need to launch harder. Little tire spin is optimal. Just dont want it blowing tires off.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
it isnt bogging. It is an A6 with 3.15 gears and stock stall. I have a lot of posts about this topic so sorry for not explaining further. I am e-brake launching and still not getting close to high enough RPM for my launches currently. Best 60' was a 1.89 so far because of this problem. The boost comes in hard about 3500 RPM and I cant launch any higher than 2200RPM even with the e-brake. There is no bog or spin just easy going until the boost comes in. Then sometimes is chirps but not every time.

I am going to give "streetish" tires one more chance this next season, come on 10.99 in the cold!!

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
vikings set to 4C 10 R and feels awesome, hopefully it doesnt rain for the race track tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread