New Engine installed (strange sound art 1500-2000 RPM?)

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I have been saving my poor pennies for nearly two years to get a new engine in my car (reman Ford). Finally had it done. Great work by the shop. They seem to have gone the extra mile.

While putting in the engine, I had a brand new Centerforce Dual Friction clutch, Fidanza aluminum flywheel, Ford Racing pilot bearing, Lethal throwout bearing and retainer sleeve put in.

I have driven about 150 miles of breaking it in so far with 850 miles to go. Very light throttle, ginger driving. No boost.

I seem to be experience a strange sound or two at 1500-2000 RPM.

It sounds like "clutch rattle" or "chatter." Not sure about these clutches. It is a faint sound (this sound only occurs when driving with my foot letting off the clutch or off the clutch completely at low RPM.). However, once that sound passes, i hear an a similar sound, but up higher (this happens exactly from 1500-2000 RPM). Not around the shifter area. The engine light came on after 140 miles or so and the car is now parked. I did not spend all that money just to have problems. So I called the shop and they asked me to bring it in so they can read the codes.

I cannot do so until next week, so I am borrowing a vehicle.

My question is, do any of you running a Centerforce DF have that slight rattle sound?

And does anyone have an engine noise at 1500 RPM?

I was worried about detonation, but I was told that can only happen under load?

Any ideas?

As I have said before, I am no mechanic. A computer guy by trade. LOL

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
Rev it into those rpms where the noise is occuring without the clutch engage and see if it makes the same noise.

I did do that.

I don't get the minor clutch chatter, but I do get a similar, subtler sound at 1500 RPM when the car is in neutral.

When driving, the clutch makes noise as soon as I begin disengaging.
Then, at 1500, the engine makes a noise, which doesn't stop until 1800-2000 RPM.

When in neutral, the clutch noise is gone, but the engine (or at least I think it's the engine) still makes the noise at 1500 RPM. It almost sounds like the clutch rattle noise, but is quieter.

I was told it couldn't be detonation because it's not under load. But just searching on the internet, I have read otherwise. I am concerned.

The engine is brand new and I have been babying it to break it in.

jcooper0818

Established Member
I think you have a similar noise like I do. I have a spec flywheel and was told this a noise from the aluminum flywheel bc they transfer more vibration. I always thought it was my throw out bearing. Still think it is...but that's what I was told

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
I think you have a similar noise like I do. I have a spec flywheel and was told this a noise from the aluminum flywheel bc they transfer more vibration. I always thought it was my throw out bearing. Still think it is...but that's what I was told

That would make sense... IF the stock Flywheel wasn't already aluminum. LOL

although physics would tell you that a heavier steel flywheel would soak up more vibration...

I am a little worried though I guess since it's a brand new engine and a brand new clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, retainer sleeve, and flywheel. Went with everything that was recommended to me.

The noise happen if the car is in neutral or if I am in first gear at low RPMs, driving like a grandma away from a stoplight. It starts of like low RPM chatter, but then, when I am fully in gear, it makes the sound a second time at slightly higher (but still low) RPMS.

Anyone have this kind of issue? The check engine light is on and it scares me to death.

I am taking it to the shop, but hey are far and it's hard to coordinate with work.

Thanks for your replies. I will update when I get it looked at.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Could be a balance issue. The new clutch plate should have a 0 balance, but they do not at times. An out of balance flywheel or clutch plate will result in an RPM specific engine vibration. I always have the clutch plate balanced to the flywheel for piece of mind when installing a new clutch. My old DFX plate needed weight added, while my new Spec 3+ plate did not. This would be something to look at if it is not an engine miss of some type.

perry2k12

Established Member
On the clutch noise - if it makes the car shake I would think something is out of balance. My old DFX clutch lost a spring and was riding around inside the pressure plate like a merry-go-round. Very small thing but made it unbalanced enough to rattle the whole car.

Quick Strike

Established Member
Does it make the noise at 1800 rpm with the clutch pedal down to the floor too?

9secondko

9secondko
Established Member
By way of update,

I wanted to post the details of what was revealed at the shop today.

Basically, the Centerforce Dual Friction clutches have counterweights inside that can make a rattle noise at low RPM (I have heard this countless times before, but needed to be sure) and the weights spinning at higher RPM don't make a noise. sometimes, the noise quiets to be nearly inaudible after break in.

I also had a check engine light come on. It turned out to simply be an O2 sensor going bad.

These forums are always helping me and I usually end up with either a) peace of mind or b) a resolution on how to fix an issue - simpy by reading these threads. So I figured I'd update.

Thanks for your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread