New gauge pod alternative! comments?

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, and was referred over here by a few guys in my local (Memphis) chapter of SVTOA. I've been lurking around for a few weeks, but now that I'm stuck at home for a while recovering from back surgery, I thought I would post this.

I'm in the process of developing the attached gauge pods for all ford mustangs 94-present. This DOES include the verts.

I know a lot of people have the autometer/lotek/etc. already, but I've always felt the quality of those pieces falls short of the rest of the car. These cars are expensive, and my thoughts are you should not have to settle for a cheap part if you don't have to.

Please let me know what you think. This isn't a sales thread, as they are not for sale at this time. Just would like your feedback and comments, as they will be on the market soon.

Thanks in advance,

Alan

Last edited:

Custom2kgt

Established Member
You're going to need to either add more room between the pods for lines or state that all guages to be used must be the electric version as it doesn't look like enough room to run some of the physical lines. Assuming you're using 2 mechanical guages. Fuel w/ an isolator, obviously.
However, is the boost guage you have there mechanical? I'm also assuming this is made out of plastic. Are you anticipating any more pods? Say 3?
Interesting solution. I'll be watching the thread. If you need a test car let me know. ;)

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Good eyes. This is an early prototype in a 01 Cobra vert. The production version will have both pods making contact with the a-pillar. The "hangin" pod has too many variables, among which are those you mentioned. Durability was also a concern, although these are darn near bulletproof. The pic attached in this post is more like the final prototype.

The boost gauge is mechanical, the fuel psi is electrical. There is plenty of room for the wiring to pass from one to another (i think it was five wires for fuel psi).

The dual pods will be done first, but it appears making a single or triple version is possible.

The one in the pic is fiberglass, the production models will be plastic.

Thanks for the comments, very helpful.

Alan

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Do They Come In a Tan Line Model?

They look like a set of tits :p I'd probably crash my car fondling my gauges :lol: :lol: :lol:

mosconiac

Established Member
Very nice, I'd definitely consider that to avoid the difficulties of painting and installing a pillar pod that may not match anyway.

Since I can't really tell from the photos, hopefully the pods will be aligned such that each lower one is set back enough to follow the contour of the A-pillar.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Tits? Glad I didn't post a triple pod, wouldn't that be weird? Thanks for a good laugh.

mosconiac, the pods are staggered to follow the angle of the pillar. My intent is to ship them already dyed, I will take an interior color code from a VIN with an order. I use SEM vinyl dye for most colors, or a custom mix for others. Also, i will most likely sell them with the gauges already wired/installed if desired, or just an empty pod.

Please keep up the comments/questions. This is very helpful for my R&D.

Thanks,

Alan

Last edited:

p3pete

Toys R Us Kid
Established Member
Give me a call when you need to test fit! :beer:

Hope the back is healing well.
Cheers,
Pete

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Hey Pete,

How's it going? My back is doing pretty well. Had the staples removed today :cryying: , and can move around a bit better.

My registration was activated over here, so I figured I'd throw some pics of the gauge pods up for opinions. Not quite as popular here as elsewhere. Oh well, that's how it goes.

Hope to see you out at an SVTOA meet soon. The doctor gave me clearance to drive again this weekend. :rockon:

See ya,

Alan

Brad

Banned
That is very weird looking. And as someone said it does not leave alot of room for wires, and even if it did I'm not sure I could deal with how weird that looks.:shrug:

I like the basic auto meter gauge pod better.

Last edited:

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
I appreciate the feedback from all. Please keep it coming for a bit longer.

I'll attach another pic, maybe this angle will give you guys a better perspective. The other views are pretty close up, this one is pulled back a bit.

Juiced-03, the owner of the vert in the photos was going to get the autometer bezel you mentioned. That is a piece I'm kind of disappointed in, but your opinion is appreciated and noted.

Regards,

Alan

Brad

Banned
I made mine out of resin and epoxy; I like the two-tiered look better as I think it flows with the car better. If you were making something like this out of plastic for the verts I would be all over it.

pod3.jpg

pod1.jpg

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Brad,

I saw the build-up photos of your gauge pod project a week or two ago after I did a search. That approach of attach/fill the autometer pod to a factory pillar seems to be what most people resort to when the pre-made part doesn't exist. My intent with these was to do something no one had.

The lumps where the autometer piece meets the factory pillar would bother me, not much, but a little. I know you have a lot of time sanding in that job as well. IF you have any, I'd like to see some daytime (more detailed) installed photos of your job. Nice work, I understand what you put into it.

Thanks to you and the others for the comments, positive or not. Your feedback will ensure the product is as good as it can be when it becomes available.

Please keep it up,

Alan :bowdown:

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by alanw6
Brad,

I saw the build-up photos of your gauge pod project a week or two ago after I did a search. That approach of attach/fill the autometer pod to a factory pillar seems to be what most people resort to when the pre-made part doesn't exist. My intent with these was to do something no one had.

The lumps where the autometer piece meets the factory pillar would bother me, not much, but a little. I know you have a lot of time sanding in that job as well. IF you have any, I'd like to see some daytime (more detailed) installed photos of your job. Nice work, I understand what you put into it.

Thanks to you and the others for the comments, positive or not. Your feedback will ensure the product is as good as it can be when it becomes available.

Please keep it up,

Alan :bowdown:

The only problem with it is how long it takes to build. If I could have paid someone I prob would have as it took the better part of a weekend to make. I'll def post more detailed pics soon as I build these for people on a regular basis, next time I'll post a bunch of pics. I wanted to keep the lump, but I def could have taken a saw to the pod and cut it off before the mounting of it. :thumbsup:

Phreakfree

Spitz Venom
Established Member
sounds interesting and promising as I hav a vert and will be looking for some soon. Subscribing and interested. I think they look pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread