New GT 500 and ZL1 in Car and Driver

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Darn. I don't subscribe. I went to the website to see if they had anything there to read but they only have the February issue up. I'll have to wait to see March. What I really want to see if the new Viper!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Speaking of the 2013 Viper, I found this blurb from 1/12/2012 and wonder how true it is.

According to MSNBC, the new generation Viper will be offered exclusively to customers who have previously owned a Viper and the first units will only be offered to members of the Viper Club of America. However, being a member of this club doesn’t automatically make you a potential owner of the new Viper. Dodge will be selecting the lucky few through random criteria.

Evil Mach

Fight the Good Fight
Established Member
Speaking of the 2013 Viper, I found this blurb from 1/12/2012 and wonder how true it is.

According to MSNBC, the new generation Viper will be offered exclusively to customers who have previously owned a Viper and the first units will only be offered to members of the Viper Club of America. However, being a member of this club doesn’t automatically make you a potential owner of the new Viper. Dodge will be selecting the lucky few through random criteria.

damn, I think that's more exclusive than Ferrari if thats true! :eek:

Kiohtee

Established Member

IDK how true that is, but I imagine that would be shooting themselves in the foot.

And oh, GT500 > ZL1

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Gonna have to buy that issue!

i was reading the comp between the ZL1 and Vette GS while i was on the crapper yesterday...their time for the ZL1 was 12.6@116 and the GS was 12.7@114

why can't these people hit a no shit track to get times?

i know a stock LS3 GS can do better than that

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
damn, I think that's more exclusive than Ferrari if thats true! :eek:

It's only for the first round of cars. Conner Ave only has capacity to build <2K units a year. My old man is crossing his fingers that he's one of them. He had one of the first '93's, and '96's, so he'll at least be in the running.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
well the new vipers are definitely different in that they are no longer known as dodge, but SRT vipers....always been bad ass cars

guess im stopping into walmart tonight while at work so i can read the new issue...and yea i agree the times will likely suck if its car and driver testing lol

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
I read that C&D drivers are always off-throttle during shifts. Not surprising that slower times are to be expected.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I read this issue last night.
The new GT 500 and ZL1 look great but they have completely ruined the look of the new Viper IMO. :xpl:

Last edited:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
So is it a comparison test of the zl1 and new '13 gt500? or is it just information about them that everyone already knows...?

Guess I'll have to go buy the issue.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
IDK how true that is, but I imagine that would be shooting themselves in the foot.

It's always been a low production vehicle, and for good reason. The market is pretty limited, and I doubt they turn much of a profit selling them. I think GM will head in a similar direction, I mean drive by any Chevy dealership and they're countless Corvettes going for $10,20,000+ under MSRP sitting around unsold.

Even if the Viper costs $130,000 and is only available to previous owners of Dodge Vipers, they will probably still sell all of them.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's only for the first round of cars. Conner Ave only has capacity to build <2K units a year. My old man is crossing his fingers that he's one of them. He had one of the first '93's, and '96's, so he'll at least be in the running.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Even if the Viper costs $130,000 and is only available to previous owners of Dodge Vipers, they will probably still sell all of them.

They are supposedly going much more upscale this time around. Quality is said to be very good. Not sure if we'll see $130K, but $100K is pretty much a given at this point. Don't put any faith in those 3rd party renderings floating around. The hood will be very gen 2'ish, but instead of gills along the side of the NACA duct, it will sport Ford GT/F50 like exhaust holes for the boxed in radiator.

FWIW, things are starting to leak out a bit, but the latest rumor is it will have a multi mode Bilstein suspension much like the GTR and GT500. Don't put any faith in those 3rd party renderings floating around. The hood will be very gen 2'ish, but instead of gills along the side of the NACA duct, it will sport Ford GT/F50 like exhaust openings for the boxed in radiator. 8.7L V10 w/ 650-700hp will likely be it's initial numbers with crazy under the curve power. 700-750hp variants later cycle.

Should be interesting for sure. I've never seen a car kept under wraps this well in a long time. The buzz is building like crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread