New GT350 or keep '14 RS5

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I am really struggling here with this first world problem.

I have '14 RS5. It is by far the best car I have owned. Panther Black (dark purple) with Black Optics and Lunar (cream) interior. 48K miles. Possibly 1 of 11 in the USA in this combo. Really, it's an incredible all weather luxury German muscle car. If you aren't familiar with it, it has a modified version of the R8's V10, with 2 cylinders cut off, the same DSG and sport differential, flipped around so the engine is in the front. 4.2L V8 that rev's to 8500 RPM, 4.5s to 60, sweet exhaust sound, beautiful car inside and out, with great fit, finish, and excellent corrosion resistance. It's a really nice place to be and is great to drive. I've received many comments that it is a great looking car (and it is).

I want a GT350. Or maybe wait for the potential 6.8L 2023 Mustang. Why? Is it the last of the real Mustangs? Is it the fear of not being able to buy a Mustang in the future (either Ford decisions or personal health)? Is it a desire to fulfill a late-mid-life desire to own one of the last of the great ICE mustangs? I get that it's a different car than the RS5. I've had Mustangs all my life and know that they are generally sort of Ford shitty, but are a lot of fun to own and drive.

I can afford the payments on both, but do not want to have both. I'm not really into owning things for the sake of owning them; I'm not a trophy collector. I'm not interested in having the 'fastest car' because there is no such thing. I want a great car to drive everyday, or most everyday, that makes me giggle when I feed it the onions. I have a couple older cars around I can drive if needed, too.

I can't decide what to do, and it is really taking up too much of my time thinking about this stupid decision. Also note, I'm generally indecisive on personal purchases (the opportunity costs tend to drive me to not decide on large/lasting purchases).

God damn it, help me out here guys.

tampasnake

Established Member
I would say drive a GT350 and that will help you make up your mind. A good friend of mine has a manual 4.2 S5not an RS5 I know. I'll say it is a much different car than the GT350.
I recently sold my modified 2010 GT500 after I purchased my 2019 350R. My GT500 was a powerhouse that made you think I may not be in control during some times on the street. The GT350R never makes me doubt I can do whatever I want in the car at any time. Its the closest car I have had that resembled my GSXR1000 bike. That bike would do anything you wanted when you wanted. The GT350R is similar. The 350R also makes me feel at times I just got off the GSXR bike after an hour long highway commute.
I am very much happy with my decision on the 350. I will say there is a reason every magazine article about the car over 5 years is nothing but compliments.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
This ^^^. I too had a '13 GT500 and it was a beast. The GT350R lacks grunt, but makes up for it with superb handling, braking, and creature comforts. The Audi is a completely different animal, and I suspect you'll be disappointed in Ford's interior materials, and fit/finish. The GT350R is just a more track focused vehicle. Good luck in your decision.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
This ^^^. I too had a '13 GT500 and it was a beast. The GT350R lacks grunt, but makes up for it with superb handling, braking, and creature comforts. The Audi is a completely different animal, and I suspect you'll be disappointed in Ford's interior materials, and fit/finish. The GT350R is just a more track focused vehicle. Good luck in your decision.

100% all the way around.

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
That’s a tough choice! Other than the R8, you have the sexiest Audi and the 4.2 is nice(had to have it for our A6). As much as I want to say keep the RS five, you should drive a GT 350, and that should give you a better idea

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Update:

I drove a GT350.

I bought a GT350.

I sold my RS5 (to Carvana).

The GT350 is a very special car; like no Mustang I've driven. It really is a true American sports car. It's loud, brash, busy, comfortable, and menacing looking. It has the driving dynamics of much more expensive cars, but with its own, unique personality.

On a side note, not a lot GT350 talk or love here on SVTP. Not popular with this crowd, maybe?

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats! They are really nice cars.
Any photos of the GT350?

The other Mustang site has a lot of GT350/GT350R/GT500 talk. But, it's a very, very different crowd. lol

HiTechRedneck

Established Member
We started with an 09 GT500 and went to a 12 GT500 - BIG difference and then had to settle for a more "Adult" car for several years. Understand, these were my wife's car and she is a Mustang freak. Got her a new 17 GT with 6 speed and Recaro seats (she was 66 at the time) and it was nice, BUT - my son is the finance manager at the local Ford dealer and the owners are distant cousins. Last year they got a 17 GT350 with 4,011 miles in perfect condition with headers, high flow cats, cold air and dyno tune - SOLD! Much more controllable than the 12 GT500 with just about the same grunt! We Love it!!!
I was perfectly happy with my 16 Platinum F150 with all options until.... They got a 13 Roush Raptor in with 24,000 miles, killer stereo, 22" wheels with brand new Nitto Trail Grabbers etc. Shit - SOLD
I'm 71 and she is 69 years old. We have to get older but we don't have to grow up!!!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There's a fair number of GT-350 owners/fans here on SVTP. Congratulations on getting your own GT-350. Definitely post a couple of photos. I've never owned nor driven one, but honestly the GT-350 is more visually appealing to me than the GT-500. The engine puts you into a whole different world, coupled with amazing handling. I remember a couple of years ago I was at a Ford dealership and they had a GT-350 in their showroom. It captivated me! No other car except the Ford-GT and C8 Vette did that to me. But this is all about your decision to part with your RS5 and buy a GT-350. I'm glad you got to test drive one (can be difficult to do depending on the dealership) to find out if it really was the car for you. And it was! Enjoy!
upload_2021-4-3_18-11-44.png

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
A quick picture from my garage, next to my '15 SHO. Not sure on the white stripes yet; I'll let 'em sit for a year or two, maybe changing them out to dark blue.

It's a 2016 tech package with 7200 miles. I bought the 5 year PremiumCare plan with it. Plan is to daily drive it during the summer months up to ~50K miles. This is unlike my old Terminator which spent most of it's 12 years with me gathering dust. Looking back, I guess I only really liked driving the Terminator on the track.

Changed the oil to Amsoil and secured the sketchy oil filter with a hose clamp. Ordering up some Gyeon Quartz ceramic coating.
PXL_20210404_165355824.jpeg

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks! It's all ceramic coated, and looking good. Steeda jacking rails installed. I have the Steeda clutch assist spring too, but haven't swapped that in yet. Scheduling window tint next week. Have been looking at some audio upgrades, but supplies are so limited and delayed.

Users who are viewing this thread