new GT500

MNCobra

Established Member
guys first off i want to say hi...i am not new to mustangs (1991 5.0, 2006 GT, 2008 GT/CS i supercharged, 2011 Roush 5xr, 2013 Roush RS3) but i am new to the GT500...

My question is after reading as many threads as i possible can i still get confused on where to start modding...so i will put out a list of parts i think i want but need to know your suggestion on where to buy them and what brand...

by the way i am getting the 2013 GT500 almost loaded (exceptions are track pack and glass roof)

LCA/UCA
hood struts
break pads
oil separator
tune
different CIA
tires (heard/read the stock ones are not the best)
i would also like to lower the car

thanks in advance :beer:

Jeff

03reptile

Established Member
Suggestion: Before you start lining up all these modifications, give yourself a chance to become familiar with the car in it's stock configuration. I've had my 13 GT500 since August and have only installed the Ford Racing resonator delete and a different air filter. Once you have some seat-time and are more familiar with the car, you may find you're satisfied with much of the stock equipment. I do notice that on this forum, and others, that oftentimes when guys start modding their cars, the mods end up creating another problem that needs to be addressed, and it's a snowball effect. They seem to spend a lot of time wrestling with issues, rather then just driving and enjoying the car. This 2013 is about as perfect as any Mustang has ever been, and I'd counsel you to give it a chance before starting the Mod game. I'm not being critical of those who choose to mod their cars, its simply an observation I've made over the years. It all boils down to individual preference. I have no issues with my car, and simply enjoy driving it in it's stock form.

SuperTorched

Established Member
Suggestion: Before you start lining up all these modifications, give yourself a chance to become familiar with the car in it's stock configuration. I've had my 13 GT500 since August and have only installed the Ford Racing resonator delete and a different air filter. Once you have some seat-time and are more familiar with the car, you may find you're satisfied with much of the stock equipment. I do notice that on this forum, and others, that oftentimes when guys start modding their cars, the mods end up creating another problem that needs to be addressed, and it's a snowball effect. They seem to spend a lot of time wrestling with issues, rather then just driving and enjoying the car. This 2013 is about as perfect as any Mustang has ever been, and I'd counsel you to give it a chance before starting the Mod game. I'm not being critical of those who choose to mod their cars, its simply an observation I've made over the years. It all boils down to individual preference. I have no issues with my car, and simply enjoy driving it in it's stock form.

+1. Enjoy the car as is and get used to it. I mean it already has 600+ hp to begin with. It's amazing what its stock form is

Husky44

Established Member
Gotta agree with Reptile. My first question on any "what mods?" post is "what do you want to do?" If you just want to do mods to have a longer signature block on the forums, then I'd start with the biggest blower you can buy and a tune, and some carbon fiber hi-zoot seats. It'll just go on from there.

My $.02: Drive the car for a while, and figure out your intended purpose for it. Identify the shortcomings the car has in best fulfilling it's intended purpose, then find the right mods to address those shortcomings.

For my car: Daily driver, fun weekend roadtrips, and backroad stress release sessions:
1) Catch Can (this one seems like a no-brainer mod)
2) Hood struts (another functional piece, if you spend any time under the hood, you're eventually going to run into the prop rod and knock it out).
3) Traction: Here's where I'm stuck, and will spend my time researching: Either wider wheels to get massive rubber (and the GYs are going to be gone; I'd recommend the same for MN. You cannot imagine how poorly these tires do under about 45 degrees); or suspension mods, or both. I'm not new to the Mustang world either, and have always done mods to stiffen chassis and tighten up handling, including lowering kits, etc. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the handling and suspension of this car straight from the factory, so any suspension mods are only to address the traction issues.
4) 3.73s. This is one I'm still on the fence on. I've got to get it hooking better first, then I'll decide if I need to do a gear swap (again, I've been a big advocate of gear swaps in previous cars, but this is different than any of the Mustangs I've driven in the past).
5) Unless you're planning on tracking the car, I can't really see the point in going after much more power. You'll be better served working to get as much power that you already have to the ground.

My $.02, and I won't even charge you for it. :) Whatever you do, ENJOY!

Superhawk2002

Established Member

I see the mods the OP would like as basic stuff tho -- hood struts, brakes, tires -- nothing here that doesn't just make the car better without voiding warranties, etc (minus tune).

OP: Hoop up with one of the vendors here. Read some reviews. Bought everything through Lethal and Van. For me, I will be going back to Van just for the level of customer service he gives.

I bought everything you listed except brake pads.
Bob's and BMR
Elite hood struts
Bob's oil sep
No brake pads, just a fluid swap
Lund with VMP pulley and JLT intake
Nitto DR's
Eibach springs

Good luck. Buy a bunch of stuff at once and see if you can get a deal on it.

SVTKen

Established Member

x2 - this guy knows what he's talking about. Get used to the car and don't do anything until you are satisfied that you can get 100% out of it in stock form.

MNCobra

Established Member
great advice guys thanks much for your time...i have no issues with getting the car first and driving it...but i think hood struts and catch can are easy bolt on stuff and in the long run will benefit me...i have heard/read many stories on the crapy stock tires so those still maybe on the list as well...again thanks for you advice...cheers

SVTKen

Established Member
great advice guys thanks much for your time...i have no issues with getting the car first and driving it...but i think hood struts and catch can are easy bolt on stuff and in the long run will benefit me...i have heard/read many stories on the crapy stock tires so those still maybe on the list as well...again thanks for you advice...cheers

I don't have my car yet, but I know the stock tires will be bad in cold weather. I'm not sure the catch can is really necessary, but many people swear by them.

MNCobra

Established Member
i had a catchcan on my 2013 RS3 Roush and it caught a lot of oily/crud so i am for sure getting one on the GT500

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I think the catch can is a great maintenence piece of mind type of mod. Ive seen what the bottom plenum of the SC looks like after lots of miles with oil build up and gunk, not pretty.

also allow me to add my .02:

LCA's: yes, absolutely. I don't have a UCA yet so no comment but my suspension setup thus has me very happy( steeda springs, BMR adj panhard, BMR relo brackets with Bobs LCA's). Just need to add something more to the front and Im good

CAI: If your going to tune it anyway, then yes get yourself a JLT and while your at it might as well get a TB ( contact Van for a power pack)

Tires: keep your Goodyears as an extra set or for track duty, but definitely living in MN don't use them below 45 degrees, its not recommended and they perform like crap when not warm. They are pretty good on a track once they get sticky

Brakes: The brakes are absolutely sufficient for regular use and track duty. If the magazines had any sense they would have swapped out the DOT3 fluid for high temp motul 600 type before hitting the track, which is why they had brake fade. 4K+ lb race weight with a car that comes down some straights doing 140 not easy to stop lap after lap. Trust me, if you are going to track it a brake fluid swap is all you need.

Hood struts: redline pro lift, the best and a 5 min install ( car should have come with them)

Me personally I bypassed the power bump because it has a shit ton already, so I adressed handling first and don't regret it one bit. good luck when you get your car! :beer:

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
I got my car today and like many others, I had planned a long list of mods during the five month wait period. After a great 200 mile drive out through the North Carolina country side, I have changed my mind on most of them. First, I don't need more power, if I avoid a felony speeding ticket with whats already here, I'll be very lucky.

For the time being I will just do the standard stuff of oil cans, hood struts and a few other minor item. After I have driven the car for a while, I wii consider the 3.73 change. This mostly because I have already purchased the gear set.

MNCobra

Established Member
great info Devious...do you have a link for the hood struts? what tires do you recommend?

jbs$ i am getting the feeling thats best way to go is to leave itr as stock as possible and i 10000% 03Reptile that changing to many things can lead to more gremlins in the car which i dont want on a 70K car

91svtbird

Established Member

+1. Enjoy the car as is and get used to it. I mean it already has 600+ hp to begin with. It's amazing what its stock form is

Gotta agree with Reptile. My first question on any "what mods?" post is "what do you want to do?" If you just want to do mods to have a longer signature block on the forums, then I'd start with the biggest blower you can buy and a tune, and some carbon fiber hi-zoot seats. It'll just go on from there.

My $.02: Drive the car for a while, and figure out your intended purpose for it. Identify the shortcomings the car has in best fulfilling it's intended purpose, then find the right mods to address those shortcomings.

For my car: Daily driver, fun weekend roadtrips, and backroad stress release sessions:
1) Catch Can (this one seems like a no-brainer mod)
2) Hood struts (another functional piece, if you spend any time under the hood, you're eventually going to run into the prop rod and knock it out).
3) Traction: Here's where I'm stuck, and will spend my time researching: Either wider wheels to get massive rubber (and the GYs are going to be gone; I'd recommend the same for MN. You cannot imagine how poorly these tires do under about 45 degrees); or suspension mods, or both. I'm not new to the Mustang world either, and have always done mods to stiffen chassis and tighten up handling, including lowering kits, etc. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the handling and suspension of this car straight from the factory, so any suspension mods are only to address the traction issues.
4) 3.73s. This is one I'm still on the fence on. I've got to get it hooking better first, then I'll decide if I need to do a gear swap (again, I've been a big advocate of gear swaps in previous cars, but this is different than any of the Mustangs I've driven in the past).
5) Unless you're planning on tracking the car, I can't really see the point in going after much more power. You'll be better served working to get as much power that you already have to the ground.

My $.02, and I won't even charge you for it. :) Whatever you do, ENJOY!

x2 - this guy knows what he's talking about. Get used to the car and don't do anything until you are satisfied that you can get 100% out of it in stock form.

I agree with all the above except I wouldn't do a gear change....great advice all around especially about not installing an aftermarket tune due to all the issues we've seen associated with them, not to mention the loss of warranty on a $26k engine should a failure occur....and we've seen a few of those already too.

Last edited:

03reptile

Established Member

You're welcome for the advise proffered from myself and others. Granted, the hood struts, CAI system, and catch can are pretty bullet proof. Suspension mods and some tunes can be problematic. As far as tires, I drive mine during the winter when the streets are salt free and dry. I changed over to a set of all season tires, as the stock Goodyears turn to hockey pucks at below 60 degrees. Otherwise, it's stock. Enjoy your car when it arrives, and above all RESPECT the torque of this engine. It's like having a pet alligator.

Users who are viewing this thread