New Guy: 08 GT500 Upgrade Questions

Gt500Coop

Established Member
Hello. Ive been lurking for a while and figured I would finally register and ask some questions about my car. I have an 08 Shelby and I am in the process of doing some upgrades this winter. I currently have an 08 GT500 with HPtuners and have tuned for my JLT 123mm CAI. I have these parts currently on my build list for the winter:

-Innovators 10% Overdrive
-L&M 66mm throttlebody
-Upper supercharger pulley yet to be determined
-Magnaflow catback exhaust

My problem is I am just learning how to tune boosted applications and I dont want to blow up my engine if I make a mistake. With the upgrades above what would a safe supercharger pulley and how much boost would that be with the overdrive pulley?

Also is anyone on here familiar with Hptuners and would be willing to lend any advice on what I need to concentrate on adjusting to account for the increase in boost?

Thank You

VNMOUS1

Established Member
On your 08 the issue isn't going to be boost but fueling. A 2.50 and 10 pct is about 18psi at sea level.

You need at least 56# injectors and a pair of fuel pump boosters (sales pitch... Everything at vmptuning.com is on sale through Mon night)

The 123mm is probably the most popular cai for 07-12 GT500's so the transfer function is certainly out there in the wild. Depending on your ultimate goals you may want to go larger on the injectors. We like Injector Dynamics a ton.

Bj

Gt500Coop

Established Member
Not really looking at getting too crazy with it. My budget is pretty much maxed at this point. If I run say a 2.7 upper will I still have to do injectors and boosters? Or maybe just leave the factory upper and run the 10% lower? Just trying to get some more efficiency out of the stock eaton while utilizing the factory fuel system.

breoland

Established Member
I would not recommend doing a lower 10% lower with a stock blower. Any upper pulley you put with that combo and you will be just over spinning the blower

Best bang for the buck, is selling your lower pulley for 500 and using that money to get a Tvs super charger. The sky is the limit with power you can make from them and it bolts on in an hour with removal of old blower.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Not really looking at getting too crazy with it. My budget is pretty much maxed at this point. If I run say a 2.7 upper will I still have to do injectors and boosters? Or maybe just leave the factory upper and run the 10% lower? Just trying to get some more efficiency out of the stock eaton while utilizing the factory fuel system.

Since you're not looking for crazy numbers and you're on a budget I'd do this

-2.5 upper pulley
-Throttle body
-Off road X/H pipe
-VMP or Lund tune

That should put you around 530-560whp, and you can focus on other stuff like suspension and cooling mods.
Don't know about HPtuner, wait for Bj to chime in.

Gt500Coop

Established Member
Yeah after doing some more research I think I will sell the overdrive pulley and just go with an 2.5 upper. At least that will make me feel more comfortable about not blowing something up anyways.

The thing about HPtuners is I invested the money into the program and I would hate to just go with a canned tuned because I cant figure out how to properly use the software. Hopefully I can get some advice on here about it.

Thanks!

Speedboosted

Established Member
I probably wouldn't advise that you tune it yourself....especially if you're already concerned about something going wrong. Also do not do a 10% lower, too much heat for the car and will just run like crap if pushed.

Black Cobra probably has the best list for you, although I would maybe consider just a 2.6 upper if you don't have any cooling mods yet. I used to have a 2.5 upper and would heat soak a lot, switched to the 2.6 and runs much better (this was all stock cooling system results).

Here's my mod list for you:
-VMP twinjet 67mm TB
-Offroad X or H pipe (a catback is kinda a waste unless it's 3")
-2.5 or 2.6 upper pulley
-Roush 3x coolant reservoir

Get a tune through whoever you feel most comfortable with. Bill Miller at Pro Edge is another great one that I'm considering switching to.

Edit- I read your first post as though you were considering buying those four things...keep everything but the 10% lower and invest in cooling and a tune

Last edited:

Gt500Coop

Established Member
Thanks for all the info guys! I ordered the 10% lower but will be returning it tomorrow. Was a black friday purchase so I jumped on it before doing any research. As of right now I am going to take your advice and go with a 2.6 upper, 67 mm throttle body and use the money spent on a lower and invest in cooling upgrade and tune. As for the xpipe I would really like to but I have to pass NY emissions. I dont think its a sniff test though, just catalyst monitor. Something else Ill have to research... The car has a magnaflow catback exhaust on it already.

Thanks again guys!

VNMOUS1

Established Member

VMP 2.50 and no lower= stock fueling.

bj

Gt500Coop

Established Member
Good decision.what are your power goals? Street, track, quarter mile, garage queen?

Looking at Street and some quarter mile. Just want good reliable power and knowing that any car that wants to challenge will have a hard time keeping up. This is my fun car so I dont drive it every day.

Joewee500

Established Member
Looking at Street and some quarter mile. Just want good reliable power and knowing that any car that wants to challenge will have a hard time keeping up. This is my fun car so I dont drive it every day.

Depending on where you live it's going to take more mods to be king of the street. Showroom stock new vettes would still give you a run with the mods you want,especially if you're tuning it yourself, no offense.

mavisky

Established Member

If the funds are there the VMP Gen 2 kit would be the most complete way to assure that. VMP's 800hp package would just about assure it outside of some very very well built cars. 600 flywheel hp in a GT500 doesn't get you as far as it would in a 600-800lb lighter foxbody. It does make for a fun daily driver, but you won't be invincible in it.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
As the guys said, these cars need a lot of modding to really have fun with, you have wheel hop, heat soak and the weight to deal with. I suggested the 2.5 so you could squeeze the most hp for the time being, and when you get used to it and want more power you could go with the GEN II or whatever other choice you have.

Future mods to keep in mind are heat exchanger, intercooler reservoir, lower control arms, upper control arm and tires to cure the aforementioned issues.
I did those first because to me it didn't make sense to add power if you can't use it, however not all people have the same thinking.
I agree with Speedboosted on doing cooling mods first, but it gets down to what you want and what you think is best for you.

nxhappy

Established Member
save your money for a take off TVS unit. In the end it's the best bang for your buck.

Users who are viewing this thread