New guy with 1st Ford

Carl Dodge

Established Member
hello everyone. i just picked up a stock 01 SVT Cobra. i want to turn it into a basic road coarse car for me and my friends. done some research. i still have a few questions. any suggestions would be helpful. not going to enter any classes, just something durable.

1. what dual clutch do i want to use? what size? what brand and flywheel?
2. keep stock rear gears? what ratio?
3. long tube or shorty headers?
4. what suspension setup should i get? who?
5. a ECU flash? which one?
6. keep stock rotors with Hawk pads or slotted/drilled rotors? whose?
7. short throw shifter? which one?
8. i have bought SS braided brake lines and a 3 row alum race radiator so far?
9. low temp thermostat?
10. what else?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
1 - You would need substantially more power than stock to justify a dual disc clutch.
3 - long tubes or dont bother
6 - blank discs, damned sure no drilled and slotted doesnt do much either.
7 - mgw

budget will determine suspension recommendations.

Brewkett

Established Member
First thing I would do is get full frame subframe connectors with jacking rails.
Second thing I would do is get rid of all the rubber bushings front and rear suspension ASAP. Look at FTBR kits for front and rear IRS bushings.
Third is new solid brake rotors and pads, flush all fluid
4th is go have fun with the car

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What they said. Drive it. Figure out where you and the car need upgrades. Then purchase as needed.

52merc

Established Member
Much of what anyone is going to recommend depends on what type of events you are planning to enter and what your budget is. I'm going to assume drag racing will not be your prime track time. I would concentrate on handling first, braking second, and power third. Most of what you will do to improve suspension can be used with stock or higher horsepower. There are several good options for improving braking without breaking the bank. These, like the suspension modifications, can be used with stock or higher HP. I would only start looking at increasing horsepower after some experience with the car at the track. Increasing power level above what a naturally aspirated engine will handle will be expensive. If you think you need more power than NA, then consider your goal and your budget carefully. Remember, increasing HP requires not only the rebuilding the engine with forged internals, but changing clutch, transmission and modifications to the differential and half-shafts to handle that power. Although these cars can make great power, it comes at a hefty dollar cost.

Handling
  1. Move battery to trunk for improved weight distribution.
  2. As mentioned, get full length subframe connectors with jacking rails.
  3. Consider going coil-over shock on all four corners as this gives you quick and easy adjustability. Gives you the ability to not only lower the car but adjust cross-corner spring settings.
  4. Add caster/chamber plates to front for adjustability.
  5. As mentioned, get rid of stock rubber bushings on IRS and do the FTBR or MM make-over.
  6. If budget permits, install aftermarket K-member. There are several good ones to choose from. Consider BMR lower A-frames with extended ball joints.
  7. Address bumpsteer which will become an issue once car is lowered. This can usually be done with a bumpsteer kit.
  8. Consider adding Maximum Motorsport aluminum rack bushings and solid steering shaft to improve steering feel and response.
Braking

These modifications will depend greatly on what type of track time you are planning.
  1. Flush brake lines and replace fluid.
  2. Install SS brake lines.
  3. Replace brake pads. Actual type to use will depend on track type.
  4. If staying with stock 17" wheels, consider upgrading front brakes to Cobra R Brembos or even the ATS Cadillac conversion discussed on several forum threads here.
  5. If money is no issue, then go to 18" wheels and one of the aftermarket front big brake kits. There are several good ones out there but $$$.
  6. Consider adding cooling kit to front brakes.
Engine Power
  1. If staying NA, consider following Todd Warren's [na svt] recipe.
  2. If going power adder, consider a centrifugal blower kit. If you stay below 450 hp with a good tune and using race fuel you should be able to run that for a while as long as the engine is in good shape.
  3. If wanting more power, or you already know the engine needs rebuilding, then there are more options out there such as turbocharging, but they all cost $$$$$.
Just some of my thoughts.

Good luck with the new car.

shurur

Established Member
First thing I would do is get full frame subframe connectors with jacking rails.
Second thing I would do is get rid of all the rubber bushings front and rear suspension ASAP. Look at FTBR kits for front and rear IRS bushings.
Third is new solid brake rotors and pads, flush all fluid
4th is go have fun with the car

the only thing I would add to your list is gears.
3.73 street or power adder...3.9 or 4.10 NA

and a good shifter..pro5.0 or mgw..etc

i.e. get the handling and shifting up to snuff first.

Carl Dodge

Established Member
one question? subframe connectors w/ jacking points. are they a bolt-in part or something that needs to be fabricated?

Carl Dodge

Established Member
thanks everyone. willing to sink a little money in it. i have been drag racing for over twenty years. just looking for something that gives a little more seat time. if i get the bug bad, i will just go buy fully prepped and set up road coarse car. but i think now i have a good idea what it will take to get this one going. thanks to the great advise.

Users who are viewing this thread