New Inside Info

crazyhorse06

Established Member
From Brad at themustangsource.com (you can trust this source):

Update from the Inside

The final GT500 will wear tape stripes because they look great, have a long life, and are much cheaper than paint. (The show car's stripes were painted.)

The hood on this yellow car is the production hood. It creates low pressure in all the right places and extracts heat well.

The stripes on this yellow car are NOT production. They were cut for a different hood design--not this one. The tape stripes will more closely follow the lines of the scoops.

The decklid will not have the "SHELBY" lettering like the show car did because a lot of people (including myself) thought it was too goudy and because the letters, if stuck on a permeable tape stripe, would fall off. They could cut the tape stripe around the letters, but that is expensive and could look terrible if any of the letters were slightly off level. They are considering placing smaller "SHELBY" letters off to one side of the decklid.

Carroll himself is pushing hard for the red seat inserts, but the red stitching probably won't make production.

The Dark IUP on the show car is very similar to what will be offered on late 2006 Mustang GTs. The color will be the same, the pattern may not be. It will utilize the satin A/C vent rings like the show car did. (The standard IUP has chrome rings.)

No decision has been made regarding at which auto show the GT500 production car will be unveiled. Ford VPs want to continue to strengthen the Mustang's images as "Detroit's car", but the folks at SVT have always been fond of the Chicago show.

grimreefer

Anthrax Resistant
Established Member
$39,000... $38,000... $37,000... ha ha, yeah right. ;-) Dealer mark up +$10,000. :(

I'm just waiting for the semi-forged internals "cost saving" announcement.... and I'm still not going to blow fifty grand when the 03/04 snake is still going to be competitive anyway. :p

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
If the taped stripes thing is true, they've lost at least one customer. ME.The 30,000 I have saved up is going elsewhere.
Thats a total CHEAP ASS SHOT on a 40,000 car.. :mj:
Christ, If people I know would have shown up with a car with taped "shelby" stripes on their car, a year ago, they would have been laughed at by just about everyone I know.

Does the Ford GT come with taped stripes?

Ford, this is a disgrace. F'n taped stripes?? Is this a Shelby or an amusement park bumper car? The Stripes are the very first thing people will see on the car.. And everyone will say, "oh they're stickers and they look like SH*T!!

And god forbid Ford actually puts the Shelby leters on the back of the Shelby like you had on the concept, if it costs you an extra 100/per car to do it..
Cheap penny pinchers.

And I PITY the people that are going to pay markup on this car. You people are about as dumb as spit.

I cant even believe we are having this discussion on a 40,000 car. Taped stripes. Ugh.. It really pisses me Off Ford can't build the car the way they displayed it.

Sorry for the negativity, but its just my opinion. This car is not worth buying new anymore. The taped stripes is the straw that broke the camels back (along with everything else that has changed).
I'll pick one up used for $20,000 in a few years since its still going to be a good performer... :dw: maybe... But this car is just not worth spending big bucks on new anymore. :shrug:

Last edited:

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
The final GT500 will wear tape stripes because they look great, have a long life, and are much cheaper than paint.
Two out of those three statements are correct.. Anyone care to guess which ones?

Purvis

VMP TVS Power
Established Member
To be fair,

Vinyl is:
CHEAP.. Thats definately TRUE
and
Its in many cases very durable, since it resists chipping..

But it definately DOES NOT look great... :poke:
:lol:
lol

03Terminator

03 Red Fire Cobra
Established Member
Ok, this really pisses me off!!! :mj: First they change the hood, now the stripes are tape and the Shelby lettering is gone from the back of the car. Plus Ford f... up the allocations and has made it impossible to get one unless you know some one or are willing to pay the insane dealer mark ups. :cuss: I thought in the beginning that HT said they would make as many as there were people to buy them??!! What BS!!! What makes it worse is Ford is allowing the dealers to get away with screwing their customers!!! :bash:

My dealer had the nerve to call me a few weeks ago and tell me that they now want a $5000 deposit and that the car will have a $5000 mark up. They went on to say that with the projected allocations that they will most likely only get 3 cars. Well I'm supposedly number 5 on their list which means they wanted me to pay a deposit on a car I had no friggen chance of getting!!! :cuss: :bash: :mj: Personally I'm sick and tired of the dealers playing games and raping us customers. So at this point because I refuse to pay any mark up it looks like I won't be getting a Shelby. Thanks Ford!!!!

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
M

03Terminator said:
Ok, this really pisses me off!!! :mj: First they change the hood, now the stripes are tape and the Shelby lettering is gone from the back of the car. Plus Ford f... up the allocations and has made it impossible to get one unless you know some one or are willing to pay the insane dealer mark ups. :cuss: I thought in the beginning that HT said they would make as many as there were people to buy them??!! What BS!!! What makes it worse is Ford is allowing the dealers to get away with screwing their customers!!! :bash:

My dealer had the nerve to call me a few weeks ago and tell me that they now want a $5000 deposit and that the car will have a $5000 mark up. They went on to say that with the projected allocations that they will most likely only get 3 cars. Well I'm supposedly number 5 on their list which means they wanted me to pay a deposit on a car I had no friggen chance of getting!!! :cuss: :bash: :mj: Personally I'm sick and tired of the dealers playing games and raping us customers. So at this point because I refuse to pay any mark up it looks like I won't be getting a Shelby. Thanks Ford!!!!
From what I have heard from some of the SVT dealers, the markup will be 10,000.00 over MSRP for at least the first year.....Supply and Demand......

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Painted vs Vinyl Stripes

Purvis said:
Two out of those three statements are correct.. Anyone care to guess which ones?
The painted stripes on the Ford GT are an outrageous 5000.00 option on the sticker, and where the stripes terminate under the rear window, you can see a ragged paint line....Personally, I would rather have vinyl, because they can be replaced if chipped, or if body work needs to be done, rather inexpensively....I would be more concerned with other details of the car, rather than stripes....Such as availablility and pricing.....

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
I think Shely letters are great!!!

crazyhorse06 said:
From Brad at themustangsource.com (you can trust this source):

Update from the Inside

The final GT500 will wear tape stripes because they look great, have a long life, and are much cheaper than paint. (The show car's stripes were painted.)

The hood on this yellow car is the production hood. It creates low pressure in all the right places and extracts heat well.

The stripes on this yellow car are NOT production. They were cut for a different hood design--not this one. The tape stripes will more closely follow the lines of the scoops.

The decklid will not have the "SHELBY" lettering like the show car did because a lot of people (including myself) thought it was too goudy and because the letters, if stuck on a permeable tape stripe, would fall off. They could cut the tape stripe around the letters, but that is expensive and could look terrible if any of the letters were slightly off level. They are considering placing smaller "SHELBY" letters off to one side of the decklid.

Carroll himself is pushing hard for the red seat inserts, but the red stitching probably won't make production.

The Dark IUP on the show car is very similar to what will be offered on late 2006 Mustang GTs. The color will be the same, the pattern may not be. It will utilize the satin A/C vent rings like the show car did. (The standard IUP has chrome rings.)

No decision has been made regarding at which auto show the GT500 production car will be unveiled. Ford VPs want to continue to strengthen the Mustang's images as "Detroit's car", but the folks at SVT have always been fond of the Chicago show.
There really is no problem attaching letters over the vinyl stripes, if they used pin-type letters, like the original Shelby's, since the holes on the deck-lid would simply be underneath the tape, and the letters would be pushed-through....I think the large Shelby letters would be fitting for the current version, the Shelby being an "in your face" type of statement of a mustang.....Heritage does count, and I think that SVT is constantly trying to de-Shelby the concept, because of costs, not heritage

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
Well, no stripes for me then. A stranger said to me yesterday, seeing me in the Cobra, "So I guess you've seen the GT500, so what do you think", I said "It might be OK if Ford doesn't screw it up." This statement gets more acurate with the passing of time.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'm not worried about any markup, just wait 6 months. It's a Ford for Christ sake! You will be able to buy it for less than MSRP 6 to 9 months after debut. If not, just buy a vette!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
wow, first everyone complains about it being a shelby when its first announced, now complaining that there will be 1 and only 1 less shelby logo on the car. amazing.

96SVT_2_NV

Established Member
PowerWheels said:
I'm not worried about any markup, just wait 6 months. It's a Ford for Christ sake! You will be able to buy it for less than MSRP 6 to 9 months after debut. If not, just buy a vette!

seriously, if mustangs could sell for $40,000+ there would be a lot more saleens being made

R1Lello

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
wow, first everyone complains about it being a shelby when its first announced, now complaining that there will be 1 and only 1 less shelby logo on the car. amazing.

:eek: ............actually what's amazing is people getting real pissed over a car that's not even released yet.........wait and see guys, wait and see...............
I just hope you guys that are getting really upset actually are potential buyers......otherwise you're heading for a heart attack.............

Users who are viewing this thread