New McLeod RXT Clutch Issue

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Thanks for the reply BJ. Maybe going back to the OEM slave will solve this issue. A friend of mine is heading to SC for Christmas and offered to tow my car down to the guys at Pro Dyno so that's the plan as of right now.
My pleasure. Dan at Pro Dyno is good people and a very talented guy

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

PrestonJ

Established Member
Pro Dyno just took a look at the car and said the installed clutch (not even 1 year old) is in bad shape... needs a rebuild or a replacement. I babied the clutch for the first 600 miles with TCS off per McLeods instructions so it seems like I just was unlucky and got a defective clutch. Considering the rebuild timeframe was 6 weeks and $600ish (and the fact that I'm not confident in the McLeod anymore) I opted to just replace it with a Vengeance Stage 2 clutch instead of dumping any more cash into trying to fix the McLeod. Rough timeframe on getting the Vengeance clutch shipped is around 4 days so I'll update this once I get the car back. What an adventure...

PrestonJ

Established Member
Picked up the car today. Feels like it's been forever! Vengeance clutch feels really good. The guys at Pro Dyno confirmed that the McLeod was factory defective. According to them the middle plate was warped and still had machining marks on it where the pads weren't making contact at all. Laying it on a flat surface showed how badly it was warped. This was likely the root cause of all of my problems. I took the RXT with me but I'm not sure what I'm even going to do with it. I now have two McLeod RXTs at my house that both need rebuilds.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Picked up the car today. Feels like it's been forever! Vengeance clutch feels really good. The guys at Pro Dyno confirmed that the McLeod was factory defective. According to them the middle plate was warped and still had machining marks on it where the pads weren't making contact at all. Laying it on a flat surface showed how badly it was warped. This was likely the root cause of all of my problems. I took the RXT with me but I'm not sure what I'm even going to do with it. I now have two McLeod RXTs at my house that both need rebuilds.

I'm glad it worked out. I saw Pro Dyno had posted a pic of your car on their IG page.
I'm surprised, but somewhat not, that McLoed won't lift a finger to make this right?

PrestonJ

Established Member
I'm glad it worked out. I saw Pro Dyno had posted a pic of your car on their IG page.
I'm surprised, but somewhat not, that McLoed won't lift a finger to make this right?
Well in the beginning they were basically saying that this was due to Ford installing it incorrectly or air in my hydraulic system. They did offer to investigate but I was on the hook for the labor cost to remove it, the shipping costs and not to mention the turnaround time which was something like 6 weeks if I remember correctly. Being that this car is my daily driver that just didn't sound feasible at the time. They never mentioned the possibility of a warped plate but from what I've heard from several sources it's a fairly common issue recently with McLeod. I just wrote them explaining the recent developments and asked if they would be willing to do anything to make it right so we'll see. Rebuild costs on these things is $550 + shipping both ways which hardly makes it a better option than just buying a new one.

PrestonJ

Established Member
Pretty sure I speak for others, thanks for keeping the thread updated and the outcome. I'm sure it will aid in somebody's next purchase
This forum has been a great resource for me over the years. Happy to contribute. I've been cruising around town nice and easy to get started on my Vengeance clutch break in and it already feels really good. It's stiffer than the McLeods but still very drivable.

Users who are viewing this thread