New MGW shifter owners... Need your reviews

1meanz

Established Member
Does anyone know how much the shifter is with both handles? The $185 special was only Oct 18-22 according to the website.

SICKBOY

Established Member
So I need not buy the shifter gaskets as someone above mentioned these are included with the MGW unit?

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
exactly how much quieter is this shifter than the triax? anyone who has had both and can compare. I really like the triax alot but if i could eliminate some of the noise it would even be better

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It is a great shifter. The only "negative" comment I heard was that it was a bit stiffer than most of the others due to its design (very short throws). For those who don't know, all of the other manufacturers simply made small changes to the traditional shifter design. But George did not want to just make another cookie cutter shifter. So he went for a revolutionary re-design. He produced a winner IMO. Of course many will still prefer one of the others for personal reasons. And no one shifter is perfect. But I know that if I still had my Cobra I would have already installed one of these just to try it out. With a transparent shifter boot of course! LOL!

SICKBOY

Established Member
can't wait to get mine...too bad he was closed today...Cobra bob your old car was a beauty...my buddy Dave is the one who bought it....thing is scary fast too..11's all weekend at FFW...after seeing your old car perform...I had to have one....hahaha

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
SICKBOY said:
can't wait to get mine...too bad he was closed today...Cobra bob your old car was a beauty...my buddy Dave is the one who bought it....thing is scary fast too..11's all weekend at FFW...after seeing your old car perform...I had to have one....hahaha
Hey, small world! Yeah, Dave is really enjoying it. I'm glad it ended up in someone's hands who would take good care of it. He's added a few new mods and is putting down good numbers at the track. Nice guy he is!!

shanker

Cheesecake FTW!
Established Member
bump!

any pics of it installed?

How exactly do you order from MGW? I didnt see an online option and the shifter isnt on the mail order list either.

Jpjr

Established Member
I just wanted to throw in 2 cents..

If the 'stiffness' is referring to the spring action between neutral and most gears then that is what mine does. There has been a few good threads on this on the modford forum. When I shift from 2-3 for instance, the shifter snaps into neutral, then snaps into third. There is a small but noticable hesitation.

Now, before I go on saying its a problem I'll stop now and say it isn't. An argument could be made that mine is still breaking in and also I need to be a bit more smoother in my throws. Another thing worth mentioning is that many posters are in favor of this movement because of how predictable the shifts are.

-All that said its the best shifter out there. My dad has a Z06, and this shifter feels just like that with less noise. It is like you have the "H" right on the console like the old Lamborghinis... no way you can miss a shift. And the instructions and service are second to none. I had never installed a shifter before and George made an intimidating project seem like a breeze.

FLYIN

Warheads on Foreheads
Established Member
Thanks for all of the reviews, just ordered one with the blue handle. I had a hurst in, but it didn't seem all that great compared to the stock shifter. From posts the MGW sounds like the SH!T. Gotta love this site fellow snake drivers helping each other out.

TRIXSNK

DAILY DRIVEN!
Established Member
Orederd mine 11/30/04 and got the blue handle.

Only problem is that they said they would ship 2 day air for $10 more however they failed to tell me that it wouldn't be shipped until late next week.... :mj:

I just wish they were more clear....but i'm still going to try it out.

Had a Tri-ax on my GTand it was ok....kinda noisy....and i felt my friends pro 5.0 and it was ok but i hope the action in this shifter is nice and somewhat notchy as i like that posistive feel.

Sho Off

Member of the 600 Club
Established Member
04blackmach said:
It is not the shifter that is notchy, it's the damn trany! :cuss:

I have the Tri-Ax, I CAN NOT powershift or shift fast from the 2-3 shift. Does this shifter work much better on the 2-3 shift?

Jpjr

Established Member
Sho Off said:
I have the Tri-Ax, I CAN NOT powershift or shift fast from the 2-3 shift. Does this shifter work much better on the 2-3 shift?

as i posted before, i think the only way to get a butter 2-3 shift is with a new clutch. the mgw has some hesitation, or at least mine does.. like any other t-56 shifter with the stock clutch. it's not a difficult shift, but i think i notice it a lot more because my daily driver saturn shifts so light and easy.

(i'm not saying that the cobra should ever shift that easy, just saying i know what butter feels like).

Users who are viewing this thread