New MGW shifter owners... Need your reviews

Seabiscuit

GIDDY-UP!!!
Established Member
WS6JJP said:
exactly how much quieter is this shifter than the triax? anyone who has had both and can compare. I really like the triax alot but if i could eliminate some of the noise it would even be better

Yes--I'd like to know as well.

RJCobra

Established Member
How does it compare to the Pro 5.0 in design and shift quality?

Is it the new MGW shifter or its handle that makes it feel better?

Last edited:

2003 Silver

Banned
FireRed04Vert said:
Hey guys...I have a question...does George's new shifter help the 1-2 shift at all? The 1-2 shift on my car (and another I drove) is a little "notchy" and "clunky". It just isn't clean. I know of other T56 guys who have complained of the same thing so I'm sure it's an issue with the trans and no shifter in the world will fix it...but...just in case, I thought I'd ask!
Yeah, it's still there. I don't think any shifter is going to cure that.

2003 Silver

Banned
Jpjr said:
I just wanted to throw in 2 cents..

If the 'stiffness' is referring to the spring action between neutral and most gears then that is what mine does. There has been a few good threads on this on the modford forum. When I shift from 2-3 for instance, the shifter snaps into neutral, then snaps into third. There is a small but noticable hesitation.

Now, before I go on saying its a problem I'll stop now and say it isn't. An argument could be made that mine is still breaking in and also I need to be a bit more smoother in my throws. Another thing worth mentioning is that many posters are in favor of this movement because of how predictable the shifts are.

-All that said its the best shifter out there. My dad has a Z06, and this shifter feels just like that with less noise. It is like you have the "H" right on the console like the old Lamborghinis... no way you can miss a shift. And the instructions and service are second to none. I had never installed a shifter before and George made an intimidating project seem like a breeze.

George said he wasn't happy with the original springs...so he will be shipping out new one's that are more predictable.

CobraSpit

Established Member
MGW Shifter

03'Darin said:
What he said. It's some of the best money I spent on my car.

Darin

Ditto what Darin said. The MGW shifter is great for the money. Go for it.

Albert SVT

Established Member
Just out of curiosity, did anyone reuse the stock rubber boot (the smaller one without the metal frame around it) on their MGW shifter? I don't think the instructions mentioned whether to use it or not.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
1meanz said:
Does anyone know how much the shifter is with both handles? The $185 special was only Oct 18-22 according to the website.
I asked. It doesn't hurt to ask for a SVTPerformance discount. I'll let you know how much when mine ships (backordered awaiting parts).

swlacobra

too many cars
Established Member
mine is on the way, ordered it thursday, but the lady at mgw said they are a couple of weeks behind so the orders are building up. the new spings mentioned earlier are in the new shifters now being shipped

Users who are viewing this thread