(New) Motec ECU 150 PNP (S197 GT500 Mustang)

manny231988

Established Member
I was hoping you were doing this with the MoTec. It is something I'd love to do, along with the wastegate for boost control. Did you have Shawn add traction control also?

As far as fuel is concerned with your set up I believe all you need to do is alter timing tables for the best power when you're running any type of race E85. I was looking at Ignite Red 114, which is actually E90 with a higher octane rating than most of the E85 race blends. Pump E85 varies so much in ethanol content, which alters the octane rating so much that you have to set up the tune conservatively. I'm sure Shawn will be able to advise you on the timing table changes needed for max power on Race E85. Hell I'm sure he could set up your laptop with a different file for Race E85 versus pump E85 for when you go to a race.
Yes I’m doing it with motec yes traction control was added, motec can adjust to any fuel once the tuning has been dialed in

Bad Company

Established Member
Yes I’m doing it with motec yes traction control was added, motec can adjust to any fuel once the tuning has been dialed in
The motec will make adjustments to the timing tables and fuel stoich tables depending on what the flex fuel sensor is showing as a mixture of ethanol versus gasoline. What the motec won't know is the octane rating of the gasoline portion of the mixture, which effects the overall octane rating of the fuel being used at that moment. If you're setting it up to run on pump 91 octane gasoline with a 10% ethanol content versus pump E85 that can vary in ethanol content from a low of 51% ethanol to high of 85% ethanol, which can vary the octane rating of the fuel in the tank at that moment then you have to be conservative in how the timing is programmed for the engine. If you decide to go to a race and run 100% race E85 for that event you would have the option of programming more timing advance to raise hp output. Unfortunately the motec with the flex fuel sensor won't be able to determine that the gasoline portion of the fuel has a much higher octane rating than the pump E85 fuel that you normally use and what I'm sure Shawn Fischer programmed the motec system to do while using pump E85 fuel. Now what is the difference in the extra Hp output that the engine will achieve with a race E85 timing program versus pump E85 program? Roughly 35-50 Hp depending on the engine mods. The other thing you may consider is what type of racing you'll be doing. If you're going to the Texas Mile, I'd say leave the timing tables alone and put the race E85 in for extra insurance against detonation versus going to the drag strip where the amount of time at full engine load is much shorter and you'd benefit having the extra Hp a E85 race programming would give you.

Bad Company

Established Member
Looking forward to seeing these results guys!
3 badass Shelby’s on Motec coming up.
-J
I'm wanting to see how this stuff works out myself J. I'm really thinking of doing this along with the boost control modifications manny is doing now. The only reason I'm slow to jump on this is the fact Shawn would be slow getting the work finished. My car has sat in a shop for too loooong getting things rectified that Chad did plus the addition of a cage. I want to drive it some to enjoy instead of forking out $$$$

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
The motec will make adjustments to the timing tables and fuel stoich tables depending on what the flex fuel sensor is showing as a mixture of ethanol versus gasoline. What the motec won't know is the octane rating of the gasoline portion of the mixture, which effects the overall octane rating of the fuel being used at that moment. If you're setting it up to run on pump 91 octane gasoline with a 10% ethanol content versus pump E85 that can vary in ethanol content from a low of 51% ethanol to high of 85% ethanol, which can vary the octane rating of the fuel in the tank at that moment then you have to be conservative in how the timing is programmed for the engine. If you decide to go to a race and run 100% race E85 for that event you would have the option of programming more timing advance to raise hp output. Unfortunately the motec with the flex fuel sensor won't be able to determine that the gasoline portion of the fuel has a much higher octane rating than the pump E85 fuel that you normally use and what I'm sure Shawn Fischer programmed the motec system to do while using pump E85 fuel. Now what is the difference in the extra Hp output that the engine will achieve with a race E85 timing program versus pump E85 program? Roughly 35-50 Hp depending on the engine mods. The other thing you may consider is what type of racing you'll be doing. If you're going to the Texas Mile, I'd say leave the timing tables alone and put the race E85 in for extra insurance against detonation versus going to the drag strip where the amount of time at full engine load is much shorter and you'd benefit having the extra Hp a E85 race programming would give you.

I don't run a Motec but I have thought about the same thing you are talking about with my MS3. I'll never run 91 in my car...only 93, and pump E85. So I dial in one set of tables for 93 (being very conservative with spark just in-case 91 does make it into the tank) and one set of tables for E85. Then I can set the flex blending tables to whatever I choose. Currently have my 93 octane spark table to run strickly off that table at E30 and below to be safe, and at E80 spark is running completely on my E85 table. I have my fuel blending setup slightly different so that if I throw in Ignite 98 or something crazy I won't run lean from the normal pump E85 (sensor reads E80)I throw in. I've really been digging into flex tuning the past couple months. My point is even though the ECU can't determine octane rating you can still set the tables and blending to work around that and be safe.

Edited

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
Well I'm following manny's lead and I agreed to jump down the MoTec rabbit hole. Once I have the car back from HAP it is going to hibernate in TX for the winter while the TiaL wastegate for boost control is added, along with Flex Fuel, traction control and some extra sensors for data logging, along with the extra wiring for a sequential gearbox conversion with a stick to shift, the sequential gearbox would be something at a later date in the future(possibly)

manny231988

Established Member
Well I'm following manny's lead and I agreed to jump down the MoTec rabbit hole. Once I have the car back from HAP it is going to hibernate in TX for the winter while the TiaL wastegate for boost control is added, along with Flex Fuel, traction control and some extra sensors for data logging, along with the extra wiring for a sequential gearbox conversion with a stick to shift, the sequential gearbox would be something at a later date in the future(possibly)
Haha it might hibernate for several winters

Bad Company

Established Member
Talking to Shawn today I think he is close to being done with yours. He already has a number of the aluminum blocks printed for the wastegate mount from what he said. Also your car was the first of the plug and play systems, along with he did the modifications to your lower manifold that were done to mine a number of years ago. He thinks he would be done with mine by spring. In the past he has always been close on his time estimates. Since my lower manifold has all of the modifications done he feels it won’t be long to do mine. Now if he gets a project like the one he has been working on recently I know mine will be pushed back. Shawn does work on a priority race schedule. He has been in Florida working very long hours on a catamaran racing boat recently to try to get the MoTec system up and running by tomorrow for a race. Manny I know he can be hard to deal with when it comes to time schedules, but I also know he thinks outside of the box to come up with some ideas that no one else does. I think you’ll be blown away with your finished project and will come to understand the differences once you have the time to enjoy it.

Fortunately for me I’ve done a lot of things that will facilitate Shawn in being able to do my car quickly

Yes Shawn can be a pain to deal with. I’ve been in his shop a number of times and what I’ve seen in workmanship is worth what he is charging, the quality is the best. Unfortunately to find people that are willing to work on a project and provide you that quality are both hard to find and difficult to get it done in a time frame you think is fair. Unfortunately I think Shawn supports his customers that have tight racing schedules first, but I’ve run into this with others that have that type of reputation of the best in the business

John Mihovetz of Accufab Racing told me that he felt Shawn is the best MoTec guy in the country…… that is worth waiting for. I’ve spent bucket and bucket loads of money fixing things others have done. To me from now on I’ll spend the money once and wait however long it takes to get it right and not complain because I know it is done right the first time

Bad Company

Established Member
Manny

I got to examine your car last week, Shawn has done a lot to set up your car up to take advantage of a lot of extra features of the MoTec. This set up is far from plug and play even though he used the MoTec ECU with a base set up for the GT500. It will be interesting once he is done. He actually stated your car is almost ready to go home. I know this week he is back in FL data logging a P51 Mustang airplane for air races. If you give this guy time to think about it.........he will data log anything, in fact we talked about data logging the bolt speed in a semi-auto rifle to build something that will be interesting to shoot if he can work it out.

I think you'll have you car sooner than later.

manny231988

Established Member
Manny

I got to examine your car last week, Shawn has done a lot to set up your car up to take advantage of a lot of extra features of the MoTec. This set up is far from plug and play even though he used the MoTec ECU with a base set up for the GT500. It will be interesting once he is done. He actually stated your car is almost ready to go home. I know this week he is back in FL data logging a P51 Mustang airplane for air races. If you give this guy time to think about it.........he will data log anything, in fact we talked about data logging the bolt speed in a semi-auto rifle to build something that will be interesting to shoot if he can work it out.

I think you'll have you car sooner than later.
Well that’s good to hear haha cuz April will be 4 years

Bad Company

Established Member
Well that’s good to hear haha cuz April will be 4 years
Yeah I know he can let things drag on. Unfortunately that is usually the case with a guy in a small shop with an extremely good reputation. It took HAP four years to do a NHRA 25.3 cage installation and fix the stuff the last guy did with poorly thought out and executed wiring and plumbing. Some of the wiring issues were actually dangerous and needed to be fixed.

My car will probably be there longer than I want as I added things to the list that he will actually have to preform some engineering for. I'm striving for 1500+ hp with the wastegate/bypass control for boost, along with a new fuel pump system using Protec Cobra series brushless vane fuel pumps. I'm hoping he can modify my existing fuel hat to accommodate these pumps easily. He also felt my car needed a clutch stop installed after moving it around his property. He thought that my modified clutch master cylinder was causing too much travel, along with a heavy feel due to the Ace 3 disc clutch I'm using.

I think once he is done with your car you'll enjoy it with the MoTec. I'm surprised you went with the 4.7L KB, that is a lot of blower yet with the wastegate control system it should be easy to ramp the power in progressively.

Bad Company

Established Member
Shawn informed me today about the MoTec PnP systems. MoTec has finally given him a supposed ship date of March 27th for the ECU and wiring harness. The delay has been because the MoTec supplied PnP wiring harness. They haven't had any since the first of the year when Shawn ordered it. MoTec sources these from an outside vendor and they've been waiting on them for many months. Shawn is hoping to have the MoTec system by the first of April. Manny he told me he wants to get your car done before mine, the Lambo race car is pushing him the hardest to complete and he has the electronics talking to each other and hopes to have it in the hands of the team the first week of April for track testing. Then it is supposed to be your car and the white Ford GT.........then me. He says your car and the Ford GT are running with only the knock, boost and dyno tuning to finish them. Hopefully he will be done by the end of April with these two to start mine shortly thereafter. Parts have come in a lot slower than I expected for my car. MoTec and the Tial wastegate in red being the worst to come by. He is also working on a custom set of ProTec fuel pumps for my car and that hasn't been finalized yet.

Users who are viewing this thread