New noise…..

amurray7777

Established Member
Hey guys. I have one now that really has me stumped. I had a T-56 go bad with Lin 400 miles. The input shaft was shot. It made a horrible Josie in every gear but 4. So I know what that sounds like..

Then I get a new T-56 Magnum from a great shop down here and put it in with a McCleod twin Disc RXT. It was fine for 5k except it would make this awful sound like once every ten take offs.

The. It’s started making a whining noise in gears 1-3 with RPM. Not in any other gear.

I have an adjustable cable that is fully adjusted out. The quadrant is the stock plastic one. Idk why the old owner didn’t do the upgrade. So I have a Magnum in there with a twin disc. And this cable is fully maxed out. So it made no sound for 5k. Then one day the whining starts.

The trans guy thinks I should use a longer cable and switch out the quadrant to fully adjustable. I bought it and I waiting to get it done. Is it possible the whining is pressure on the TOB? I don’t think it’s I put shaft whine. I’ve heard that before and this int that. Any help would be much appreciated.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
a firewall adjuster/quadrant is recommended with any aftermarket clutch. in fact some manufactures, like ram, require one in their instructions.

also you should ditch the adjustable cable for a stock-style one.

can't say if that's what's causing your noise though.

amurray7777

Established Member
a firewall adjuster/quadrant is recommended with any aftermarket clutch. in fact some manufactures, like ram, require one in their instructions.

also you should ditch the adjustable cable for a stock-style one.

can't say if that's what's causing your noise though.
Yeah I was kind of surprised that it did t have it in there. My Fox does. I was shocked the old owner didn’t put one in. The problem with the stock cable is it has zero free play between the clutch and the clutch fork. Why do you suggest Siri hag the adjustable cable? It will work with the quadrant and firewall adjuster. They are designed to work together. Per the manufacturer who so down here.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
yeah it'll work together but those adj cables do break a lot. they're very cheaply made compared to stock. do a search on here and you'll see how many guys have had them snap after not-too-many miles, myself included. i think the mm website shows a cross-section comparison view of the cables.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
i have a magnum with the RXT dual disc and i think a ford racing steel flywheel. I have the MM single hook quadrant, I forget which firewall adjuster, the adjustable pivot ball and it would NOT work with a stock cable (too short). I ended up using a Steeda adjustable cable to get it all to work.

you should be able to get under the car and move the clutch fork by hand to get an idea of how much pre-load is on the TOB. With the dual disc clutches you have to set that pivot ball up with enough travel to work as the clutch wears.

Promotion Powertrain has a video on their youtube channel showing proper clutch adjustment - basically you should be able to slide a dime between the cable and the firewall adjuster.

amurray7777

Established Member
i have a magnum with the RXT dual disc and i think a ford racing steel flywheel. I have the MM single hook quadrant, I forget which firewall adjuster, the adjustable pivot ball and it would NOT work with a stock cable (too short). I ended up using a Steeda adjustable cable to get it all to work.

you should be able to get under the car and move the clutch fork by hand to get an idea of how much pre-load is on the TOB. With the dual disc clutches you have to set that pivot ball up with enough travel to work as the clutch wears.

Promotion Powertrain has a video on their youtube channel showing proper clutch adjustment - basically you should be able to slide a dime between the cable and the firewall adjuster.
Ingot my cable and quadrant from Walt at ProMotion Powertain. I have no play at all in thr clutch fork. This is my problem. I knew it! Walt at ProMotion explained this same thing. I just wanted some other opinions from you guys. Thanks so much.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ingot my cable and quadrant from Walt at ProMotion Powertain. I have no play at all in thr clutch fork. This is my problem. I knew it! Walt at ProMotion explained this same thing. I just wanted some other opinions from you guys. Thanks so much.

The TOB should be riding on the PP fingers and spinning at all times.

I adjust mine so that with a couple fingers, I can push the fork back enough to create a gap and the TOB stops spinning. Let go, and it moves forward just enough to be spinning.

I do this with the car running on stands. When I let go and the bearing has to go from zero to 800 RPMs there is a squeal and sparks. Imagine that happening every time you leave a stop and shift. The bearing stops spinning in just a couple seconds. Can’t have that.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

amurray7777

Established Member
The TOB should be riding on the PP fingers and spinning at all times.

I adjust mine so that with a couple fingers, I can push the fork back enough to create a gap and the TOB stops spinning. Let go, and it moves forward just enough to be spinning.

I do this with the car running on stands. When I let go and the bearing has to go from zero to 800 RPMs there is a squeal and sparks. Imagine that happening every time you leave a stop and shift. The bearing stops spinning in just a couple seconds. Can’t have that.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
The other thing that’s weird is thr whining only happens when on they as . If I let off at slow speed it stops. Not sure what the hell thatbis about. Only gears 1,2,3. None of the other gears. Defintely getting the firewall adjust cable and quadrant put in. Just can’t figure out why it makes the noise with Tom in lower gears. And only on the gas. It’s stops when coasting.

MG0h3

Established Member
Doesn’t sound like a TOB to me then. But definitely get it adjusted properly.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

amurray7777

Established Member
Doesn’t sound like a TOB to me then. But definitely get it adjusted properly.

So I just looked under the dash. I have a metal quadrant in there now. And it’s not the stock cable. The cable is fully adjusted out. The one I have now is much longer and has more room for adjustment. I’m kind of scratching my head here. I want to take it to the guy who sold me the trans and have him listen to it. How can a Mustang be so complicated lol. Hope it’s not the trans. It has 5k miles on it. And of course out of warranty.

amurray7777

Established Member
So I just looked under the dash. I have a metal quadrant in there now. And it’s not the stock cable. The cable is fully adjusted out. The one I have now is much longer and has more room for adjustment. I’m kind of scratching my head here. I want to take it to the guy who sold me the trans and have him listen to it. How can a Mustang be so complicated lol. Hope it’s not the trans. It has 5k miles on it. And of course out of warranty.
The current cable has zero slack. I. Thinking it’s just too short and the new one I have may do the trick. Idk.

amurray7777

Established Member
The current cable has zero slack. I. Thinking it’s just too short and the new one I have may do the trick. Idk.
Just looked again. It’s def not an adjustable cable at the firewall. My Fox has one and this isn’t adjustable. So have to change that out. This has been such a pain in the ass of reverse engineering.

MG0h3

Established Member
You want a firewall adjuster and factory cable.

Tried and true setup.

Users who are viewing this thread