New Notebook/Computer

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Going to go Mac this time. Trying to figure out what the best option for the money is. Ideally I want small and light 13 inch or less and 256gb want it to last 8-10 years

Pro 13 $1499 need to add word
MacBook $1299 needs word
MacBook Air $1399 needs word
iPad Pro 11 $949 has word need pencil and keyboard
iPad Pro 13 $1149 has word need pencil and keyboard

Mac 21 is $1099 and needs word.

Does the new iPad Pro still run on mobile sites or desktop?

Thoughts or solutions?

I can’t stand win 10. Can’t stand how windows needs to update every time I turn on my 7 year old notebook.

GodStang

Established Member
Going to go Mac this time. Trying to figure out what the best option for the money is. Ideally I want small and light 13 inch or less and 256gb want it to last 8-10 years

Pro 13 $1499 need to add word
MacBook $1299 needs word
MacBook Air $1399 needs word
iPad Pro 11 $949 has word need pencil and keyboard
iPad Pro 13 $1149 has word need pencil and keyboard

Mac 21 is $1099 and needs word.

Does the new iPad Pro still run on mobile sites or desktop?

Thoughts or solutions?

I can’t stand win 10. Can’t stand how windows needs to update every time I turn on my 7 year old notebook.

My iPads use desktop sites and not mobile sites so I would figure pro is the same way.

As far as 8-10 years I find that hard on any of them. My Apple products make it so you have to update to the latest iOS/OS to update the latest apps. iOS and OS only have a certain life on what they can upgrade to. So now I have a few items that can't be updated past say iOS 10. That means any apps past iOS 10 die on your ipad. So now I have like 20 or 30 apps I paid for that are now dead unless I buy a new iPad.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I know it's not Mac...but I've always loved the XPS series by Dell. I've had two or three and haven't ever had an issue.
I use a XPS Dell (custom built) for mixing sound in my control room. That computer is only used for studio work though. I know and trust that it is going to handle any work flow I send through it. I cannot afford latency in regard to sound or graphics.

Of course this is a desktop tower, and is only given access to the internet if I need to update a program.

I refuse to use Apple.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I got nothing for you. I ended up giving my Macbook Pro to my 13 year old daughter, lol...I have been in IT for many years now and do appreciate Macs for their strengths, but they just aren't for me. One of our sales managers always insisted on having the latest and greatest Mac, so that's how I ended up with one that was 1-2 years old at the time.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, a couple of Dell XPS, and a home built machine. They all get used on the regular.

Without more information on what you are going to do with it I would recommend you go with the MacBook Air 13. you will still have updates just not as often.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I use both. A Windows 10 PC and a MacBook Pro (13"). I've both Apple and PC for 7 years or so. I only use my Windows 10 PC when I have to. I love my MacBook Pro (13"). It's my third one. My last one I used for 3 years and gave it to my wife, who loves it. I highly recommend the Apple MacPro (13") with the Retina screen. Very solid machine. They just introduced a MacBook Air with Retina screen. It's a little cheaper than the MacBook Pro with hard drive. Might be something to look at and consider.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I went Mac...

Then I bootcamped Windows and realize that Apple runs windows like a champ.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I have a Mac Desktop I strictly use for entertainment with iPads and iPhones. I have a Dell latitude 7480 for Windows applications. The Dell has been flawless for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I know it's not Mac...but I've always loved the XPS series by Dell. I've had two or three and haven't ever had an issue.
I currently have a dell latitude 12 i5 and 128ssd from 2010/11. It’s been great. But it filled up with crap, I can delete but I’m not knowledgeable enough to know what’s vital for normal processing and what’s added crap.

Plus every time I turn it on now, rebooting in ten minutes comes up. What a waste of time. And can’t stand win 10.

Could I still order win 7 pro? Haha

Voltwings

Established Member
I'm into gaming, and my wife teaches CAD in high school, so we're used to pretty powerful computers in our house. I had a MAC back in the day that I really liked, but the dollar per performance on MACs is ridiculous ... you can get a PC that out performs a MAC for the same, or less, spend at the end of the day... I just cant do MAC again.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I currently have a dell latitude 12 i5 and 128ssd from 2010/11. It’s been great. But it filled up with crap, I can delete but I’m not knowledgeable enough to know what’s vital for normal processing and what’s added crap.

Plus every time I turn it on now, rebooting in ten minutes comes up. What a waste of time. And can’t stand win 10.

My XPS boots within 20 seconds from a full shut down on Windows 10.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member

RE: Win7, contact dell, you may have downgrade rights to Win7 pro. You can also download this recovery tool and run it, believe it will ask for your service tag and allow you to download the disk image if you are eligible.

Dell Linux Recovery Image

Capture7.JPG

RE: disk space and updates

From task bar|search field type disk clean up, run disk cleanup, you wont hurt anything. Windows update/installation files take up a lot of space, should see an option to remove those along with other temp files etc. As far as updates, just type updates in the search field, go to windows updates, change settings, turn off automatic updates. I do recommend you periodically run it manually if you do this.

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I bought a Dell xps 13 brand new in 2014 and right out of the gate it was super slow and buggy. Got sick of it and ended up buying a 2014 MacBook pro last year off ebay. Hands down better then windows in every way.

98slowbra

Established Member
I have 4 Laptops and 2 desktops on my side of the office all windows 7 pro and windows 10 pro, with a 34 inch wide screen monitor 4k and 6 other monitors. I got my daughter a Apple Macbook Pro for college and upgraded it to 16 gig of memory and 500 gig SSD drive and with the apple care it was like $2500 for the 13 inch, I loaded microsoft office on it and she loves it, we also have 4 iphones, 4 ipads, 3 Apple TVs at the house so this was our fist laptop and she really enjoys it very much since it goes with her phone and her ipad. They do cost you a bunch I can tell you that.

Last edited:

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I bought a Dell xps 13 brand new in 2014 and right out of the gate it was super slow and buggy. Got sick of it and ended up buying a 2014 MacBook pro last year off ebay. Hands down better then windows in every way.

dell factory image can suck, hp too... I usually blow them away, partition, format the disk as I want and do a fresh installation.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I have 4 Laptops and 2 desktops on my side of the office all windows 7 pro and windows 10 pro, with a 34 inch wide screen monitor 4k and 6 other monitors. I got my daughter a Apple Macbook Pro for college and upgraded it to 16 gig of memory and 500 gig SSD drive and with the apple care it was like $2500 for the 13 inch, I loaded microsoft office on it and she loves it, we also have 4 iphones, 4 ipads, 3 Apple TVs at the house so this was our fist laptop and she really enjoys it very much since it goes with her phone and her ipad. They do cost you a bunch I can tell you that.
I just made my purchase. I got the new MacBook Air 128gb, first day out. I could not see my self spending another $200 bucks on another 128gb when a 1 tb external drive can be had for about $50. I got $50 discount now just have to get word, so I can seamlessly transfer files. Hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread