New owner could use some advice for built motor

Darthcobra

Established Member
Hello I just traded for a 98 cobra with an MMR 900 block forged etc. vortech v2 big fuel etc.

Well I was changing the plugs before the tune I had lined up and one plug looked awful and was pushed in the tip of the ceramic. So I knew there was an issue. Rented a borescope and confirmed my fear.

It has built cobra t56 built rear end good clutch.

I’m stuck now on whether or not I should swap a 5.3 ford racing engine in it with the gt500 heads on it I have now. Or should I look at the MMR 1000hp stoker? That may be more boost friendly.

Should I try to salvage the mmr setup? I think it may be more money and time invested than just getting a new motor. Cylinders would need to be honed or bored.

Not sure how much I can get for a cobra with a blown motor. Or if it is worth swapping engines and getting running right enjoying it then listing it for more.

I figure it will be about 8k to get everything the motor clean up the heads etc.

I would shoot for 750-800hp. How much is a cobra worth at that point?

I want to give it a go TBH with the engine swap but don’t want to sink the cash in it and be out further than I m already.

If I could figure out how to attach pictures I would to show the spark plug and the piston image from the birescope

Darthcobra

Established Member
Pics

Attachments

• 24D7BBAB-A0BC-4557-944C-25B9703E5CD1.jpeg
    24D7BBAB-A0BC-4557-944C-25B9703E5CD1.jpeg
    486.1 KB · Views: 96
  • FA04294B-D399-4B6B-BF24-433CAB034B2F.jpeg
    FA04294B-D399-4B6B-BF24-433CAB034B2F.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 135

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Thanks for quickly reply, should I need to worry about any bent rod or crank issues?

I think detonation from a bad tune took out your plug. The rod and crank can be inspected when it comes apart and you can then make a fully informed decision on how to proceed. It has to come apart regardless. I have seen guys reuse the piston also, depending what the skirt looks like.

EDIT: Yikes! Detonation ! No reusing that piston. The other pistons look good? If they do, definitely have the injector on that hole checked.

Darthcobra

Established Member
Right it looks like a shotgun went off in that thing. PO has new injectors put in recently but will still check it when it comes apart.

I will get a new piston and ring set with sleeve. I’ll do some research on what sleeve to buy or call MMR

Darthcobra

Established Member
The car I traded worth maybe 7k and I was tired of it.

On to new things. Engine removal is easy on these cars so that’s a good thing.

Just don’t know if I should go new on the engine or rebuild what I have now.

Also it’s Smurf’s color and convertible Saleen wheels new nittos in the rear.

Users who are viewing this thread