Ordered some suspension parts form a shop in Texas, shipped in 2 boxes. First box was returned to the shop with UPS stating it was "missing a commercial invoice" needed for export (which was on the outside of the box where it was suppose to be). The shop emails me and said the parts were all beat up and had to be re-powder coated. Same story with the second box but it disappeared from tracking in Louisville, Ky. Now 6 weeks later, it shows up on my doorstep, all beat up....lol! The tracking# was different than the one the shop gave me so I punched it in to UPS an this is what I found: So it made 2 loops around the mid-west, then went to Winnipeg and sat in a warehouse, being scanned every single day for a month...lol! I checked the shipping label and everything is in order so I'm not sure what happened. The icing on the cake is the final delivery where it says "attempted delivery" when it was actually delivered. Also, the delivery town listed is 35 miles away from where I actually live.