New Shelby Owners-Please Advise

Candler8

Established Member
I have a 2010 GT500 for the past 7 years...really close to pulling the trigger on a 2021.

Driven a manual my whole life, now 48, do the paddle shifters satisfy?

I found the one I would have built if possible...every option that I wanted/didn’t want..but it’s 10000 over sticker...I’ve done the research-I know that’s common...but hard to swallow. If you paid over—are you still ok with that? :)

I love my 10’ but I assume it’s safe to say that I’ll love the 21 more?

Appreciate the help

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
I'm going to copy/paste my comment to someone else on here who asked the same thing almost lol.

I can tell you as far as compared to previous gens, there is little to no comparison. I too thought I would miss the manual since all my Mustangs have been manual since I could drive lol. But the DCT in this car sets it apart, and using the paddle shifters and the instant reaction is so damn satisfying lol. You can in and out of any gear you want as quick as you can think about it. You will not be disappointed.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think I used the paddles once or twice to rev the engine while I was moving and that was it. I've always had manual transmission Mustangs, etc, but with this car I'm happy with the DCT. Completely happy.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a 7 speed DSG in my RS5. Crazy fast shifting, very smart shift logic, several different programs, and a couple different manual modes but not engaging and pretty boring once the "that's neat" wore out.

I recently bought a GT350 and am so glad to have a manual back in my life.

The dual clutch automated manuals are neat but overall boring and the flappy paddles are not nearly as engaging or fun as a manual, IMO.

Squeezed out with help from the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Saleenrose

Established Member
Car itself is a blast. I have others with manuals, The GT500 is fast and fun. If you don't try it you will never know. I hardly use paddle shifters. Nice part is when hard on throttle for even a second it will hold shifts and wait for you.

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
It's your money, but you might be able to find less than 10k over, although this chip shortage might affect that.

As far as the DCT, it did take some getting used to. All my mustangs since 15 years old were manuals, but it's nice to just jump in and go. I do like being able to downshift on the highway with the tap of a paddle and pass someone and it go right back into what gear it needs to be in :)

It also sounds really mean when it auto downshifts when coming to a stop from a higher rate of speed. Almost grunts at you haha.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I think I'd choose the paddles...watch the speed difference. Obviously not apples to apples car wise...

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
The DCT Is pretty amazing, and compared to previous Shelby's I've had the car is definitely the best all around.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
The new car is light years ahead of anything before it. 0 valid arguments to the contrary.

That said, do you really think you'll find anyone with a 21 GT500 who is going to speak poorly of the trans after spending $100k on it? Very few people will... its just not human nature to admit defeat (even though thats not what theyd be doing).

I dont own a new GT500, but i do have a 10speed, 1000hp 2018 Mustang. I'll be the first to tell you it is so fast it's dangerous and not smart to run over 10 psi on the city streets.

I'll also be the first to tell you my 640whp 2007 GT500 was more engaging to drive and Id be lying if i didnt mention i miss it at times.

Candler8

Established Member
All very good points...I appreciate the feedback. Got it down to 5000 over sticker. I know I’m going to miss the manual in my 10 but I think I’m gonna roll the dice.
Thanks Everyone!

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
i want to drive one, but i think i already know i'd miss the stick. i was waiting to hear feedback from quite a few folks and the overwhelming response was "i put it in D and go"...and while i understand why, i was kinda hoping the paddles would be fun/engaging too.

i will admit to listening to an AMG GTR at the local track and getting a car chub though too, so ya just never know.

hope you made the right choice, i know i'd be excited. come back and let us know what ya think

99BOSS

Established Member
The DCT is where its at, no doubts or excuses. Its faster at the dragstrip, which is what many of you want. I have a 13 Viper, its very analog and a total drivers car, and yes very fun. Ive driven a couple newer Ferraris with a DCT. NO contest. Id take a DCT over a clutch pedal and shifter any day. With the DCT you get the best of both actually and you can keep both hands on the wheel at all times. I havent driven a new GT500 but am about to order one so I cant speak on the Ford version but after driving a sports car with it, I know Id never miss a true manual again, and no the Viper isnt for sale either lol

Candler8

Established Member
Well they got a better offer and sold it...if anyone knows of an allocation to order...please share :)

Thanks!!

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
i want to drive one, but i think i already know i'd miss the stick. i was waiting to hear feedback from quite a few folks and the overwhelming response was "i put it in D and go"...and while i understand why, i was kinda hoping the paddles would be fun/engaging too.

i will admit to listening to an AMG GTR at the local track and getting a car chub though too, so ya just never know.

hope you made the right choice, i know i'd be excited. come back and let us know what ya think

I primarily use the paddles on mine. Driving experience wise the paddles and the DCT have a lot of the character of a traditional manual just w/o a clutch pedal.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The vast majority of those who switched to the DCT love it. If you LOVE manuals, then consider the GT-350. Or maybe a Hellcat Challenger. If you can, try to get a test drive in a 2020 or 2021 GT-500. I'm going to predict you'll prefer the DCT once you experience the quickness of the shifts.

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Yes, ordered one and after 11 months it finally arrived.
Ford nailed it in the looks department.
Absolutely aggressive and the stance and exhaust for once were perfect!
This was to be my 4th GT500, and I was beyond excited when the press release said it would be a automatic trans.
After taking delivery of the car and putting a few hundred miles on it, I felt so disconnected from the car.
It was absurdly fast once you climbed out of 2500 rpm, and handled spectacular. However, there was that stupid, out of place rotary knob shifter which I got angrier at, every time I saw it.
My wife’s Edge ST has it as well and it really makes me wonder why the engineers though this was the best looking and functional unit it use. I am not a paddle shifter guy either.
I was also having a hard time stomaching the fact that I just spent over $80k on what is really a mustang that lacked a lot of what I wanted, better technology and creature comforts.
It all is personal preference and I would never take anything away from the GT500 experience, I just “outgrew” that car.
OP, don’t pay over sticker, patience will pay off. Your right Shelby is out there, and I wish you luck. The car is fast and might get you in trouble.

Candler8

Established Member
Appreciate the words...Any idea how many 2021’s have already been produced...more importantly are there more coming...lots, few. I hate all this 10000 over stuff. The dealers are in complete control right now...don’t like it :)

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Had a friend with a paddle shift Vette, he never used the paddles.
I notice how many 20 + GT500 owners don't use the paddles either.
Is it because it actually slows the cars performance, or just not that fun after the 1st few uses ??

Users who are viewing this thread