New Spark Plug Technology - 10% Fuel Efficiency Gain

jfsram

Established Member
Most normal cars do not have problems with detonation.

This may be a major breakthrough. 10% is huge in the world of fuel economy. If it is true it will also be easy to document. Small claims are hard to see and justify the cost.
Better fuel economy also equals more power.

Can't wait.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Just think, a new Focus or Cruze could gain ~4mpg with nothing more than a plug change.

If they can get these to work in high HP factory cars (I'm sure they will), it could easily make the difference between a lovely GG tax or not.

Think of these working like a neon light - it all just lights up at once

Last edited:

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
sounds cool, but can you just install a set in your daily driver 98 silverado or 2000 neon or 2001 caddi and get instant better fuel economy, other questions would be do you need a different tune, coil/s, how long do the plugs last, how expensive are the plugs?

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
:lol: at 10% improvement in fuel economy

Changes to the ignition source isn't going to give you any additional MPG in a vehicle in the real world. Weight, aerodynamics, heat losses are the elephants when it comes to fuel economy, the spark/ignition source is a flea.

If these actually worked they would have been already in use in motorsports by now. Instead most vehicles still use 50yr old spark plug designs. There's a reason for that. :idea:

Coiled03

Established Member

Changes to the ignition source isn't going to give you any additional MPG in a vehicle in the real world. Weight, aerodynamics, heat losses are the elephants when it comes to fuel economy, the spark/ignition source is a flea.

If these actually worked they would have been already in use in motorsports by now. Instead most vehicles still use 50yr old spark plug designs. There's a reason for that. :idea:

Truth.

Ignition source is virtually irrelevant in determining how efficiently fuel is burnt.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member

Truth.

Ignition source is virtually irrelevant in determining how efficiently fuel is burnt.

I typically think the same thing, but this thread made me think about it again.

Its like pouring oil on a log and trying to light it with a lighter...the fuel is there, but it takes forever to light when compared to hitting it with a torch and WOOOSH it lights up instantly.

Could be completely irrelevant. I think realistically current plugs and this new one are probably more akin to lighting the oil/log with a torch on high or a torch on low, it'll light up instantly either way.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Truth.

Sorry man, not entirely true.

Diesel vs gas is a great example. Not exactly a direct comparison, but still holds some validity. A more uniform combustion typically yields better efficiency.

Anther example is the 6.2L Ford V8. The main reason they use twin spark plugs is to increase combustion efficiency by enabling a more uniform burn.

I do agree that 10% is probably a way best case lab scenario, or this would have been invented years ago.

Last edited:

wrksnfx

FordTrucksDaRestJustSuck
Established Member
Yeah the reason is COST, you see if the big 3 is willing to get rid of almost every grease fitting on the front end steering/suspension of the car just to save 0.05 Cents per each for I believe in 11 locations on the front end equaling to 0.55 Cents per car X however many cars they make a year?

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member

Diesel vs gas is a great example. Not exactly a direct comparison, but still holds some validity. A more uniform combustion typically yields better efficiency.

Anther example is the 6.2L Ford V8. The main reason they use twin spark plugs is to increase combustion efficiency by enabling a more uniform burn.

I do agree that 10% is probably a way best case lab scenario, or this would have been invented years ago.
yea, it's all about burning all the fuel you can. our current spark ignition engines are absolutely NOT burning 100% of the fuel in the combustion chamber, we still have room to improve in that territory. if they were burning nearly everything that went into the combustion chamber, then major manufacturers wouldn't be dumping money into HCCI research, and diesel engines wouldn't hold the efficiency edge.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
yea, it's all about burning all the fuel you can. our current spark ignition engines are absolutely NOT burning 100% of the fuel in the combustion chamber, we still have room to improve in that territory. if they were burning nearly everything that went into the combustion chamber, then major manufacturers wouldn't be dumping money into HCCI research, and diesel engines wouldn't hold the efficiency edge.

and we wouldnt have EGR's

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
id imagine a 10% gain on an engine thats lost 5% of its total output with a crappy corroded oxidized plug thats gapped wrong...........

Otherwise theres not much benefit to a instant ignition. Hell the whole point behind higher octane fuels is a SLOWER flame front. I dont see much benefit in instantly igniting fuel other than burning it all completely instead of 90-95% so yeah, you might get more energy that way but you wont be able to bump up timing to make much power.

Not much power is made by the fuel trims unless you are leaning out. True with this ignition source you could lean out the trims and make the same power since youre using all the fuel but I dont think its going to benefit in making MORE power, it benefits in just using less fuel.

LS2GTO

Established Member
I still don't get how a special spark plug can gain MPGs over a properly working spark plug? I mean the engine commands a certain amount of fuel for each intake stroke no matter what the spark plug? So regardless of what spark plug is screwed in the head, the computer will still dump x amount of fuel based on other parameters.

I can see a better spark plug burning more fuel in the charge, thus less unburnt fuel going out the tailpipes...but a spark plug won't change how much fuel is being delivered unless the spark plug magically goes into the PCM and commands less fuel.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member

Diesel vs gas is a great example. Not exactly a direct comparison, but still holds some validity. A more uniform combustion typically yields better efficiency..

Diesel is more efficient because the fuel has higher energy content. Also they are running 2x compression ratio of a typical gasser. Can you imagine if you could get a production gasoline engine with 19:1 compression (impossible without cryongenics)? The coyote would be 600hp stock and pull 30mpg.

I haven't a clue why they are using dual plugs. Maybe to to make up with defiencies in swirl effect or some other head/valve design problem. But i do know that adding dual plugs does not provide any MPG benefit, possibly emissions. GM 6.2 has similar hp and identical mpg in their truck to fords. There are no secrets in the industry. To my knowledge there are very few (if any) other engines that use dual plugs, logically this means the 6.2 is using them for some reason other than efficiency. Since efficiency is so very important these days.

Yeah the reason is COST, you see if the big 3 is willing to get rid of almost every grease fitting on the front end steering/suspension of the car just to save 0.05 Cents per each for I believe in 11 locations on the front end equaling to 0.55 Cents per car X however many cars they make a year?

Even if they were to cost $50 a pop thats nothing compared to the increased sales you would get if you had an equivalent vehicle with 10% more fuel economy than anything else on the market. Think about it. You don't think Audi/BMW/Lexus would be using it?

Also as i said, motorsports is usually 10yrs ahead to production vehicles. Would be nice if a race car could take 1 or 2 less pit stops by using these plugs or that a dragster could make 5% more power. Formula 1 teams have millions in dollars in engine developement with no expense spared. :read:

Notice it reads "up to 10%." key words "up to" meaning you will likely get much, much less. If it worked in real world VW or GM would have bought the rights/patents and put them in their engines by now.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
and we wouldnt have EGR's

EGR is an emmisions control strategy. It has no benefit whatsoever to combustion or efficieny. It serves the purpose of displacing oxgyen in the cylinder thus lowering the combustion temps and preventing the formation of NOx.

Actually EGR is one of the worst things to happen to the diesel. Its soots up everything and causes all types of failure on very expensive components. One of the reasons that the 6.0 powerjoke had a $2 billion warrranty lawsuit betwen Ford and International.

Users who are viewing this thread