• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

New steering wheel

Discussion in 'Interior and Exterior' started by scotp71, Dec 26, 2019.

1. scotp71

scotp71 Member Established Member

Santa brought me a new GT500 steering wheel. The Alcantana almost matches the Corbeau seats and the feel is way nicer than the stock wheel, which I thought was pretty good. Ignore my filthy floor mats.

49279570576_933957f1d5_c.jpg

49279772867_75cb5ce612_c.jpg

2. jgt58

jgt58 Active Member Established Member

3. scotp71

Thanks dude. I appreciate it. I looked at the boss wheel and I was tempted because it looks awesome as well, but I'm happy with what I have.

jgt58 likes this.
  4. ToddW702

ToddW702 Active Member Established Member

Looks good. This wheel was one of my favorite mods.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

scotp71 and jgt58 like this.
  5. jgt58

jgt58 Active Member Established Member

Steering wheel 8s a must mod. You don't know till you have had one. I had a fr500 in the 96 cobra
    Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

6. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

THAT looks really nice. Yeah, I'm sure the feel of the wheel in your hands in nicer than the factory wheel. How much time for the install?

scotp71 likes this.
  7. scotp71

It’s a super quick and easy mod. Maybe 20 mins start to end?

8. matt5058

matt5058 Active Member Established Member

I've wanted an alcantara steering wheel for a while but I read they get dirty really easily and that sort of turned me away from getting the Boss 302 wheel I had my eyes on. Any thoughts on that thus far?

Looks awesome though.

9. scotp71

I was worried about that as well, and I can’t say my fears have lessened now that I have it. I haven’t had any issues yet, but I’ve been making a point to make sure my hands are relatively clean. It does feel like they would soil pretty easily and I’m sure the sun would wreak havoc in no time so I’m making sure to keep it covered when not in the garage. Some people may say it’s not worth all that and I may end up agreeing, but for now I love it.

matt5058 likes this.
  10. L8APEX

L8APEX On my tummy..! Established Member

I did this mod ~9 months ago, love it.
    Back then the GT500 wheels were about $200 cheaper than the BOSS. Originally I wanted the all alcantara, but I've grown to really like this wheel... it feels like what should have come stock on the car over the all leather Premium GT wheel.
    Such a quick swap too. takes longer to swap the button harness than the steering wheel itself.
    https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/gt500-steering-wheel-installed.1175554/

scotp71 likes this.
  11. matt5058

matt5058 Active Member Established Member

I just had to go back and look at the pics again. I didn't realize the GT500 wheel had a combination of leather and alcantara. I might have to consider this option.

jgt58 likes this.
  12. jayk17

jayk17 Member Established Member

Nice upgrade. The Alcantara looks comfy.

scotp71 likes this.
  13. RusWolf

RusWolf Active Member Established Member

809e1b4ef11d2416336e9cba6b6f401f.jpg

Congrats! I went little further and have this one.

scotp71 likes this.
  14. RusWolf

Double post.

15. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

Looks good, @RusWolf.

As far as the Alcantara getting dirty from your hands, can it be treated to help with that?

RusWolf likes this.
  16. Riddick

Riddick MERICA Established Member

Steering wheel looks great. How do you like your Corbeau seats and how did you get the airbag light to stay off for both seats?

scotp71 likes this.
  17. scotp71

I haven’t seen anything. I would be scared to try anything without seeing first hand that it doesn’t hurt the material. If someone has had experience trying something I would be interested to hear about it.

18. scotp71

Overall I’m happy with them. I wish they were taller in the back. Other than that I love them. I’m glad I didn’t go with anything with more aggressive bolsters. These are just enough that it hugs you but getting in and out of the car is only slightly different from the stock seats.

Getting rid of the air bag lights was from a combination of using the resistor plugs and re-using the bladder and sensor from the stock seat on the passenger side. Worked like a charm. At first I didn’t get both of the sensors you need for the passenger seat. I saw a lot of posts saying you just need the bladder but I realized there was also a small box (sensor of some kind I assume) attached to the frame of the stock seat with rivets that has to be plugged in for everything to work. Once I scavenged that from the stock seat and plugged it in the air bag system worked perfect.

19. cidsamuth

cidsamuth Liberty Biberty Established Member

ScotP, that sensor on the left seat is the "driver's position sensor." It's supposed to keep the airbag from either deploying or deploying at full strength (not sure which), should you have the seat too close to the steering wheel.

I got the lights off with the Corbeaus also. Was a real PITA. I considered trying to modify the seat brackets to position the driver's position sensor in a way that it was still functional. But, it really wasn't practical. In the end, I will never sit that close to the wheel anyway. So, I positioned it in a way that the magnet sticks to the seat bracket - doing so mimics the OEM setup with the driver NOT close to the wheel. That's important because, if you just plug it in to avoid the light, but the sensor magnet doesn't see metal, it will assume the driver is ALWAYS close to the wheel. Like, 4'8" grandma close.

BTW, the downside to using the OEM bladder in the passenger side Corbeau, the new seats are stiffer, so the computer interprets weight differently. The "airbag off" light is supposed to kick on when the occupant is below 40 lbs . . . but my 100 lb teenage daughter can sometimes set it off.

20. RusWolf

There is really nothing that keeps Alcantara from looking worn in couple of years. I always suggest leather for DD to my clients, unless they are ok with replacing alcantara in 1-2 years.