New steering wheel

Mark99GT

Established Member
My OEM steering wheel is pretty chewed up so I'm looking for a replacement. After going back and forth about repairing it and keeping the airbag, I think I've decided to just get an aftermarket wheel. I think 350mm is what I want for diameter, but I can't get much in info on the grip thickness. I'm considering the following wheels:

Momo Monte Carlo
Momo Competition
Nardi Personal Grinta
Sparco L505
Viilante Leggera

I'm looking for something thick, the stock wheel is way too thin for me. I'm looking for black leather, I don't think alcantara is a great option for me (though it looks nice). Has anyone actually used any of the wheels I listed above or would you know the grip thickness? The Momo website is the only one that lists anything about the grip thickness.

And if you have any pics of any of the above wheels in a Mustang please do share them, thanks.

96dreamer

Established Member
Not what you listed but another option to consider. I wrapped mine with a cover from wheel skins. Completely changed the feel of the wheel and it cost less than $100 all in.
20160405_165325_zpsj7xemiza.jpg

amorrow

Established Member
I had this wheel made for my ‘96. Was shooting for a hybrid of the thicker FR500 wheel and Saleen/Momo wheel, but real leather unlike the repro FR500 wheels, and real carbon unlike the OE Saleen wheels. Prices for custom wheels generally approach $1K so aren’t cheap, but PM me if you’re interested in this one as I’m thinking of having another made with carbon inserts that better match the shape of the original Saleen wheels.

Attachments

• 37CB2D3C-80F5-4871-83ED-0DEC5B3E0D2A.jpeg
    37CB2D3C-80F5-4871-83ED-0DEC5B3E0D2A.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 91

Mark99GT

Established Member
Have you already seen the FR500 steering wheel?
I love mine. It's thicker than OEM for sure, and you wont fail inspection because you dont have an airbag.

I did look at that one, I have the saddle tan interior so I'd have to paint the air bag or get a black one from ebay (and hope it works, if needed). Not sure I want to start painting interior pieces yet....but, also not super excited about losing the airbag. Fortunately I don't have to deal with inspection or emissions anymore.

But that does look like a nice wheel and is still a consideration. Part of my thinking is a slightly smaller wheel would be more comfortable for hand position and leg room. I have to have the wheel tilted up or it hits my knees and I have a hard time with the clutch while turning (hand hitting knee). I believe that's the same diameter as OEM?

Not what you listed but another option to consider. I wrapped mine with a cover from wheel skins. Completely changed the feel of the wheel and it cost less than $100 all in.View attachment 1746613

That is nice looking. I'd never be able to get the stitching to come out nice like that. Also, the black looks really good. I have saddle tan and I just can't picture it looking as nice. I did consider getting an ebay wheel and just sending it out somewhere (like redline) so I had no down time waiting for the original to come back.

I had this wheel made for my ‘96. Was shooting for a hybrid of the thicker FR500 wheel and Saleen/Momo wheel, but real leather unlike the repro FR500 wheels, and real carbon unlike the OE Saleen wheels. Prices for custom wheels generally approach $1K so aren’t cheap, but PM me if you’re interested in this one as I’m thinking of having another made with carbon inserts that better match the shape of the original Saleen wheels.

Sweet wheel. Definitely not looking to spend $1k on a wheel though. I have no carbon fiber in my car so it wouldn't fit my "motif." But it does look awesome.

96dreamer

Established Member
That is nice looking. I'd never be able to get the stitching to come out nice like that. Also, the black looks really good. I have saddle tan and I just can't picture it looking as nice. I did consider getting an ebay wheel and just sending it out somewhere (like redline) so I had no down time waiting for the original to come back.
They will send you free color swatches if you wanted to at least check the color match.

Tillerman77

Established Member
I did look at that one, I have the saddle tan interior so I'd have to paint the air bag or get a black one from ebay (and hope it works, if needed). Not sure I want to start painting interior pieces yet....but, also not super excited about losing the airbag. Fortunately I don't have to deal with inspection or emissions anymore.

But that does look like a nice wheel and is still a consideration. Part of my thinking is a slightly smaller wheel would be more comfortable for hand position and leg room. I have to have the wheel tilted up or it hits my knees and I have a hard time with the clutch while turning (hand hitting knee). I believe that's the same diameter as OEM?

Sweet wheel. Definitely not looking to spend $1k on a wheel though. I have no carbon fiber in my car so it wouldn't fit my "motif." But it does look awesome.
If you are curious what a tan and black wheel looks like - here is a photo (not my car).
FR2000WHEEL.jpg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member

I'm honestly not sure. What's the diameter of the OEM wheel?

96dreamer

Established Member
Any tips on how you handled the lacing/installation around the spokes?
It's been about 10 years since I did it but the stitches around the spokes are just dummy stitches. I stitched as close as I could to the spoke and carried each side through until I could reconnect. If i recall the method was from their site. I'll try and grab some new pictures here soon. It's not perfect up close but 98% of people probably would never notice

Tillerman77

Established Member
It's been about 10 years since I did it but the stitches around the spokes are just dummy stitches. I stitched as close as I could to the spoke and carried each side through until I could reconnect. If i recall the method was from their site. I'll try and grab some new pictures here soon. It's not perfect up close but 98% of people probably would never notice
Thanks - did you use any glue around the spokes to get the leather to lay flat?

96dreamer

Established Member
I don't believe so. I also cut up a cheap foam cover and installed it first before the wheel skins to give it a little more diameter and soft feel. It was based off of a write up someone on here did years ago.

Mark99GT

Established Member
If you are curious what a tan and black wheel looks like - here is a photo (not my car).
View attachment 1746654
That actually looks better than I thought it would...but not sure if I'd like it long term. I also don't have black carpet, which I think would make a difference. Thanks for the pic.

I'm honestly not sure. What's the diameter of the OEM wheel?

OEM wheel measures 14 7/8" across.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member

Very nice. Where did you work through to have that made?

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
Here is a Wheelskins cover I did on a friends 04 Cobra. This was right after the install. Looks better now as the wrinkles are completely gone. Feels great. Also did one on my 98 Cobra about 10 years ago. Still looks and feels good.

Edit. Sorry about the pic of my 98. Not sure why it came out like that.

8c909858bfd8767a80e1f43614e99c0c.jpg
ee73196b8c254b36b575f86e53120667.jpg

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk

muscleatsrice

Established Member
Here is a Wheelskins cover I did on a friends 04 Cobra. This was right after the install. Looks better now as the wrinkles are completely gone. Feels great. Also did one on my 98 Cobra about 10 years ago. Still looks and feels good.

Edit. Sorry about the pic of my 98. Not sure why it came out like that.

8c909858bfd8767a80e1f43614e99c0c.jpg
ee73196b8c254b36b575f86e53120667.jpg

Sent from my SM-S215DL using Tapatalk

Does that wrap go right over the steering wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Put the sve steering wheel on mine. Think it looks good and breaks up the all tan old wheel combo.

Users who are viewing this thread