New Terminator Member - Mod time :)

xtremekustomz

Established Member
Hey guys, been waiting for 8 years but i finally found the car Ive been waiting for. Just Picked up a 03 Black Anniversary Cobra with 42,000 kms (26,000 miles) all oem other then a bassani exhaust. Starting to save for a whipple 2.9 because i have always wanted a 600hp cobra and nows my chance to build one. Been creeping this site for a while and finally joined a couple of weeks ago once I had enough money to buy one. Anyway just wanted to say whats up and ill put some pics up shortly. Only had the car for a week but took her to the local track and put down some starting times. IT ran a 12.68 which impressed the crap out of me. So happy to be a cobra owner!!!:banana:

xtremekustomz

Established Member
Now questions I have:

1) Best long tube \ short headers?

2) Clutch?

3) Biggest tires i can fit on 18's

I ve ordered a set of H&R race springs and a MGW shifter which should be in this week. It is getting cold here now so its time to start tearing the car down and start tweaking her up. Any advice would be great:thumbsup:

Storm728

Established Member
Now questions I have:

2) Clutch?

I ve ordered a set of H&R race springs and a MGW shifter which should be in this week. It is getting cold here now so its time to start tearing the car down and start tweaking her up. Any advice would be great:thumbsup:

ARH, Kooks, Stainless Works, Hooker are all very good long tube headers, high quality, good fit and finish. you still cant go wrong with bassani, bbk, jba and slp though. dont use mac, read the horror stories, i am a survivor of one.
I believe jba is the only one that makes shorty headers for our cars. ford used to but they were generally regarded as crap.

Clutch by brand i would trust in Mcleod, Fidanza, or centerforce. what style, eg fully organic, dual friction, twin disc has a lot to do with your goals for the car. if 600whp is the plan, id vote a twin disc. ive had bad luck with any throwout bearings except for the ford racing one, and do the 26 spline upgrade and tob retainer sleev while youre there. fiore also makes a great quadrant and firewall adjuster that helps with the notchyness and pedal feel.

the diameter of the wheel would not be the question, it would be the width.

03kevo

Established Member
ARH, Kooks, Stainless Works, Hooker are all very good long tube headers, high quality, good fit and finish. you still cant go wrong with bassani, bbk, jba and slp though. dont use mac, read the horror stories, i am a survivor of one.
I believe jba is the only one that makes shorty headers for our cars. ford used to but they were generally regarded as crap.

Clutch by brand i would trust in Mcleod, Fidanza, or centerforce. what style, eg fully organic, dual friction, twin disc has a lot to do with your goals for the car. if 600whp is the plan, id vote a twin disc. ive had bad luck with any throwout bearings except for the ford racing one, and do the 26 spline upgrade and tob retainer sleev while youre there. fiore also makes a great quadrant and firewall adjuster that helps with the notchyness and pedal feel.

bladewtf.gif

I have mac longtubes on my Boss and 03 cobra and they fit perfectly and great ground clearance. My brother has Kooks on his car and those bitches sucked installing them, had to dent one of the primaries so that they fit around the steering shaft and ground clearance sucks and he paid well over 900$ for them. Get macs and spend the extra money else where.
ford racing throwout bearing

gabe1530

Banned
i have the macs as well. great fitment and ground clearance. for the price you definitely get what you pay for.

Storm728

Established Member
bladewtf.gif

I have mac longtubes on my Boss and 03 cobra and they fit perfectly and great ground clearance. My brother has Kooks on his car and those bitches sucked installing them, had to dent one of the primaries so that they fit around the steering shaft and ground clearance sucks and he paid well over 900$ for them. Get macs and spend the extra money else where.
ford racing throwout bearing

im not saying they didnt fit great, hang high and sound awesome. they did however send loose weld casting through the egr tube where it layed in the lower until a shard got sucked into #7 and took out the plug. i capped the egr and never looked back until i sold it.

RedfireSVT

Established Member
i have full bassani exhaust and couldn't be happier. my next choice would be kooks.

'03snkbt

Call it like I see it....
Established Member
bassani guy here as well----mids/x-pipe (cat delete)/and LM2 exhaust.....raspy @ wot but not during normal driving conditions.
clutch: mcleod twin if its in your budget (my next). for me now, centerforce dfx 26 spline with retainer sleeve and frpp tob.
and if your going with a 2.9 in the near future, consider going return fuel or beef up your current system---bap, modified fpdm, etc.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Now questions I have:

2) Clutch?

Depending on wheel width, offset and if you roll your fenders you can get 335 on the rear. Most run 295 or 315.

I believe Toyo r888 comes in a 305 width which seems like a good choice when mated with 18x10.5 wheels.

18x9 on the front with a 275/35/18

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I recommend Kooks headers, but you can't go wrong with the other brands mentioned.

You'll like the MGW shifter. I would, though, recommend you buy one of my shifter gasket sets for the shifter. No messy sealer to use and it will quiet down most of the gear noise that carries into the cabin through the billet shifter.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member

Would you like to elaborate on your horror story on Mac headers? I remember back in 2000's people had problem with mac header. BUT since then they have came a long way...

Last edited:

xtremekustomz

Established Member
I recommend Kooks headers, but you can't go wrong with the other brands mentioned.

You'll like the MGW shifter. I would, though, recommend you buy one of my shifter gasket sets for the shifter. No messy sealer to use and it will quiet down most of the gear noise that carries into the cabin through the billet shifter.

Ordered them yesterday!;-)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ah, Mike! I had noticed PayPal took more than usual from your payment and when I saw the Buffalo mailing address I had a feeling you lived in Canada. Is that a postal delivery service you mailed it to? Anyway, your set mailed out this morning. :)

Storm728

Established Member
Would you like to elaborate on your horror story on Mac headers? I remember back in 2000's people had problem with mac header. BUT since then they have came a long way...

Installed on my 04 mach, did a legit install dropping the k using ford racing gaskets, factory hardware etc. had some leaks, re tightened and everything was good. ~2000 miles later on a wot 4th gear pull my car fell on its face and started missing BAD. pulled a smashed plug from #7. pulled lower plenum to find lots of loose foreign casting laying in the bottom. found the same exact stuff in the exhaust and melted bits of some on the plug. traced a pathway through the egr valve which had nicks all over the inside into the plenum where the casting was found followed by nicks on the #7 intake valve stem, and lastly followed by either nicks or just harmless scuffs on the cylinder wall. pulled a header and found a good bit of the same inside. idk man maybe they have come a long way, maybe i just bought a pair lethal had sitting in inventory for years. i sold the car recently so i know not of the long lasting effects if any. i did delete the egr for the short time i had the car after the incident. otherwise they were great pieces. also i didnt sell the car because i was an overly paranoid lunatic...... :rolling:

xtremekustomz

Established Member
Ah, Mike! I had noticed PayPal took more than usual from your payment and when I saw the Buffalo mailing address I had a feeling you lived in Canada. Is that a postal delivery service you mailed it to? Anyway, your set mailed out this morning. :)

You know it!:thumbsup: Its the only way to not get raped by the shipping companies. Looking forward to installing them and my shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread