New to RWD V8 Drag Racing

usdm420

Established Member
I hope you get to your goal soon!!! When are you hitting the strip?

Living in AZ and the closest track being in Phoenix....I most likely won't be ready to do any track testing till Fall unfortunately. Still dialing in the tune (Sai Li), and I need some drive time with the car to even get used to the power, etc. I'll probably street cruise it over the Summer to some local meets, etc...then focus on track when it gets cooler down there.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP you said you raced fwd drag cars for a long time, how different is the rwd world from your perspective? I'm assuming you were in a 4 cylinder car, how much of a leap (if any) was it going to rwd and double the cylinder count?

usdm420

Established Member
OP you said you raced fwd drag cars for a long time, how different is the rwd world from your perspective? I'm assuming you were in a 4 cylinder car, how much of a leap (if any) was it going to rwd and double the cylinder count?

I'd say the biggest difference is pucker factor lol....My last 4-cylinder track car was an 11-second Integra on nitrous. No matter how fast it got, it was never an issue to keep her under control.

With this car, you gotta be on your toes....if she steps out it could get ugly.

usdm420

Established Member
Gave her some much needed attn yesterday. Bumper is going back on this week, then it'll be time to install the Strange shocks/struts and the Tial 44mm wastegates.
clean.jpg
motor.jpg

usdm420

Established Member
Nice... PBD still tuning it? Any track times or dyno numbers?

No they aren't....Sai Li is. I have no real reason to switch over, PBD was cool as Hell. I was going through Ken before he hired on Rob and Trevor, and they've always been super fast and super helpful. Just wanted to try someone new I guess? And I hear great things about Sai and On3 tuning. So far he's been awesome.

No Dyno slips yet, I'm dealing with a boost creep issue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to swap in some Tial wastegates to solve that problem, but we'll see here shortly.

Nice TT '18!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You sure jumped into the RWD ocean with that beast. You've done a great job. Enjoy!!
upload_2020-3-30_16-56-59.png

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
No they aren't....Sai Li is. I have no real reason to switch over, PBD was cool as Hell. I was going through Ken before he hired on Rob and Trevor, and they've always been super fast and super helpful. Just wanted to try someone new I guess? And I hear great things about Sai and On3 tuning. So far he's been awesome.

No Dyno slips yet, I'm dealing with a boost creep issue. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to swap in some Tial wastegates to solve that problem, but we'll see here shortly.

Nice TT '18!

Nice. Sai Li is an amazing tuner.

I had the On3 TT kit in my 2014 mustang 5.0. After I got all the exhaust leaks fixed It worked great. No complaints on performance at all.

Make sure the exhaust gasses have the smoothest path to exit the wastegates. Some mild porting work around the wg flanges and pipe transitions go a long way to fighting boost creep.

Unless the On3 gates aren’t opening all the way, I doubt tial gates will help.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

usdm420

Established Member
Nice. Sai Li is an amazing tuner.

I had the On3 TT kit in my 2014 mustang 5.0. After I got all the exhaust leaks fixed It worked great. No complaints on performance at all.

Make sure the exhaust gasses have the smoothest path to exit the wastegates. Some mild porting work around the wg flanges and pipe transitions go a long way to fighting boost creep.

Unless the On3 gates aren’t opening all the way, I doubt tial gates will help.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

That's the thing, it's acting as if the gates are sticking. I'm 99% sure they're the issue. I'll verify before ordering replacements but I'm almost certain at least one is malfunctioning. In that case I'll replace both. I'll know more once I get time to get under her.

Boost goes well past 10 pounds when it's supposed to be on 6 pound springs.

Kdub13

The car looks amazing! Do you have the Jegs part number or width and backspacing for the wheels? What size tires are they? Any rubbing or clearancing? My current 285 street tires are just not holding up to boost. :confused:

usdm420

Established Member
The car looks amazing! Do you have the Jegs part number or width and backspacing for the wheels? What size tires are they? Any rubbing or clearancing? My current 285 street tires are just not holding up to boost. :confused:

Thank you. I do not remember the sizing I ordered unfortunately. I'm on 276/60/15 555R's and they're not holding boost at all. I'll be going MT ET Streets soon.
Car is finally done and back together. 679whp/540wtq @ 8psi

502.jpg
stang.jpg

RunninHorse

Established Member
Car looks great! Not sure if you mean ET Street S/S or ET Street Rs. I'd go with the Street Rs. I'm at 730 hp and the S/S did not hold boost for me as well as the Radial Pros do, and the Street Rs are somewhere in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread