New to the SN95 world

CompOrangeStang

Established Member
As the title states, though I am a long time Mustang enthusiast (cars I've owned are in my sig), I am new to the SN95 world. I recently sold my '13 Boss 302 due to having a baby on the way, but picked up a black/black 98 Cobra with 46k miles over the weekend. The car is mostly stock, with just intake, exhaust, lowering springs, 03/04 cobra wheels, and drag radials out back. It's been snowing here for the past week on and off, so I haven't got a chance to really drive it yet, however it seems like it could be a fun little car.

In doing research on here, it seems that the best mods you can do on these cars up front are 4.10 or high gears and drag radials. Is that right? What would it take to get these cars into the 12's?

Thank you in advance for your input. I've done some research, just looking for verification of what I've read and any additional tips.

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Get out while you still can; SN95s suck. lol jk no but sort of. 12s will take no less than 4.10s, MT ETs, exhaust (LTs would be extra beneficial), and the driver mod. These cars are really held back by not having C heads. I wish I would have bought a C headed mustang. But nonetheless these cars are also fun and can surprise a lot of people because they all think SN95s are super slow.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
A twelve second pass takes very little, really. A low rear-end gear, exhaust, drop-in K&N filter, shifter, and good set of tires while driving it hard will get you there. You'd also do yourself a favor by having a set of subframe connectors installed.

CompOrangeStang

Established Member
Thanks for the input.

I had thought that 96-98 Cobras with just intake, catback exhaust, and drag radials could pull low 13's. I figured adding headers, mid-pipe, gears, and a shifter would put them into the mid to high 12's.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I guess I should have clarified myself more. When I said exhaust, I meant mid-pipe and cat-back. Though, frankly, cat-backs on these cars add nothing other than a better sound. And yes, longtubes would help significantly but are not absolutely necessary for 12's.

Last edited:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
The factory gearing sucks for drag racing, so a gear swap is absolutely necessary for 12s. B headed cars produce torque and hp higher up in the rpms so gears are a must. Yes, 12s can be had without LTs; I just simply said they would be beneficial, in turn easier to reach 12s.

CompOrangeStang

Established Member
I've read varying things on B and C heads. From what I've seen, B heads are great if you plan to go FI, which would be good because I think a Vortech kit is in my future.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
not here to bench race for friends but kyle (NVRL8TE) was running 12.80s if im not mistaken with a catback shifter and driver mod. stockish B headed cobra ftw

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Get out while you still can; SN95s suck. lol jk no but sort of. 12s will take no less than 4.10s, MT ETs, exhaust (LTs would be extra beneficial), and the driver mod. These cars are really held back by not having C heads. I wish I would have bought a C headed mustang. But nonetheless these cars are also fun and can surprise a lot of people because they all think SN95s are super slow.

B heads aren't all that bad, and some quick examples in either NA or F/I form.

98$vt

i love white girls
Established Member
So realistically, what are the best times a 96-98 Cobra could see with full bolt-ons, gears, and drag radials?

Thats a generic question in my opinion. I've seen one full bolt on car run 12.50 and an identical car run 14.00. Realistically, it should run good but theres a ton that factor into it. Are you going to do any suspension work or just throw a bunch of bolt on parts in there and expect good numbers?

yellow98stang

Established Member
First thing I would do on any sn95 is install sub-frame connectors if the car doesn't already have them - then gears, exhaust, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread