New to the Termi world, need guidance. SLP Cat Back...

petersen302

Established Member
I bought my first Termi a few weeks ago. The car is quite modded including Bassani mid length headers, Bassani offroad X and SLP Loudmouth catback. The catback I assume is for a GT as the car was SRA swapped. The car is far too loud for my taste (I'd rather hear the KB 2.2 scream). Questions are as follows:

-Its a bold on catback, can I just buy different mufflers and bolt them in? If so, I am assuming they need to be straight not offset? I like the tailpipes, so if I can get away with this, I'd like to.

-If not, would I look for any catback for a 99-04 GT?

-If going to a more restrictive muffler, will it require retuining? The tune is pretty rich thats in it.

Its winter here in MI and I don't have a lift. Hoping someones experience can help a guy out. :)

Thanks!

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
First off, congrats! Welcome aboard. That thing's gotta be borderline deafening!

If it is indeed all bolted together with clamps or bands, yes. I'd also measure the overall length of the SLP resonators to be sure there's enough pipe in case the replacements are shorter (doubtful).

Yes. Pipes go up and over the axle instead of together and under like the IRS cars.

No. Unless you replace the SLP with coffee cans stuffed with tube socks, it shouldn't matter. Cat-backs don't really impact performance without the help of a midpipe and/or higher flowing cats. Also, you're likely going to replace the SLP's with something else performance oriented so it'll still flow well anyway.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Is it the Lm1 or Lm2 you've got? If it's Lm1 you could probably unclamp those and put Lm2 in place of them. Theyre essentially the same thing only the Lm2 have packing inside that would calm it down some and give it some actual tone. I know some of those bassani mid pipes will accept bassani high flow cats which would bring the volume down even more. Probably still be pretty loud, but better.

If you just want some bigger mufflers that will make it quieter and still flow, I've got some magnaflows for a GT catback that have less than 10k miles on them. Would likely take an exhaust shop to make them fit that slp catback though.

petersen302

Established Member
First off, congrats! Welcome aboard. That thing's gotta be borderline deafening!

If it is indeed all bolted together with clamps or bands, yes. I'd also measure the overall length of the SLP resonators to be sure there's enough pipe in case the replacements are shorter (doubtful).

Yes. Pipes go up and over the axle instead of together and under like the IRS cars.

No. Unless you replace the SLP with coffee cans stuffed with tube socks, it shouldn't matter. Cat-backs don't really impact performance without the help of a midpipe and/or higher flowing cats. Also, you're likely going to replace the SLP's with something else performance oriented so it'll still flow well anyway.
Awesome, thank you! I've been dying to get under it and get a better look at it and take some measurements but I'd like to get some stuff ordered so when I have a chance to get on a hoist I can move through it quickly.

And yes, its near deafening! I can hardly hear that KB whine and thats a problem. lol

petersen302

Established Member
Is it the Lm1 or Lm2 you've got? If it's Lm1 you could probably unclamp those and put Lm2 in place of them. Theyre essentially the same thing only the Lm2 have packing inside that would calm it down some and give it some actual tone. I know some of those bassani mid pipes will accept bassani high flow cats which would bring the volume down even more. Probably still be pretty loud, but better.

If you just want some bigger mufflers that will make it quieter and still flow, I've got some magnaflows for a GT catback that have less than 10k miles on them. Would likely take an exhaust shop to make them fit that slp catback though.
Thats a good thought, I hadn't considered the LM2 as this is a LM1 system. Are any of the cylinder style that are out there known to be quieter than others?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Bassani has some straight through style mufflers if you wanted to keep it all matching. Otherwise Borla S-type, but that's probably not going to make as big of a difference.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
I've never heard an SLP exhaust that I liked on a 4v.
They do better with the GM crowd.
I like the SLP Powerflo catback. Real similar to Magnaflow in dimensions and sound. The SLP resonators (lm1) and glasspacks(lm2), I don't care for so much unless the rest of the exhaust is stock.

Recon

Established Member
I’d go with Bassani. I think their catback sounds nice on the 4V engines.

Pick your poison.

petersen302

Established Member
A question for anyone that may know: Is there room where the muffler sits for them to sit at an angle? With the SLP system being a bullet style the piping is relatively straight. If I want to use a chamber style muffler they would need sit at a bit of an angle. All of the catback stock photos I look at the chamber mufflers are relatively straight.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Somebody suggested Bassani, which is a great choice IMO. Borla would be my first choice if you want a more mellow tone/sound. Followed by Bassani. Sound/tone, though, is so subjective. Everyone has their personal preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread