New Toyota Supra

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
You have some historical revisionism going on there.

Only 8,997 NSXs where sold in the USA, roughly half the number of the MKIV Supra.

1998 Corvette MSRP was $38,995

1998 N/A Supra was $31,078
1998 A/T TT was $38,778
1998 6spd TT Sport Roof was $40,508

1998 NSX was $88,000

300ZX and 3000GT had volumes in their heavily discounted Non-Turbo models. They also had a 4 year head start on the Supra.

Technically, the Supra was a ground breaking achievement. 320hp in a 3,200lb Coupe with rear geometry that could hook (unlike a Z32). It had a bullet proof power train, unlike the VR4 and modern braking and ABS with 4-channel control. It nailed every stat, Skid pad, 0-60, 0-120, 60-0, etc.

The MKIV was already a king before FnF. In fact it was picked for FnF because of its reputation. It was the frost car you could basically slap a turbo on and boost to 500whp with no other work. No exploding pistons, cracking blocks, blown transfer cases, spun cranks, etc.

FnF production crew originally wanted Brian (Paul Walker) to start in Dodge Stealth scene here in a mini-movie teasing the sequel.

View attachment 1681351

Paul would then step up to the GSX Eclipse.

The car consultant team thought this was ludicrous and made changes to go from the GSX to the Supra.

GSX was picked over the Stealth because a 1995 RS was fairly cheap and they needed ~13 of them for the movie. Car in the movie is clearly not a 4G63, but it's supposed to be a GSX.

The Supra's more understated designs have aged very well. Classic proportions, driver focused cockpit, targa top, huge aftermarket... And like you said, it's teenage fans of the 90's and 00's couldn't afford it - but now some can... And are willing to drop big coin.

The MKIV also benefits a lot from early digital videos. I remember watching Supra vs Porsche Street race clips back in 2001, the classic Leo Supra videos, etc. Not unlike thr Terminator and the Snake Bite video.

not sure how old you are but i was heavily into the car scene in LA and did not see supras around. i saw a lot of NSXs around LA. of course they were more expensive but they were considered exotic while the supra was considered an overpriced toyota. i googled the price of a supra twin turbo in 1995 and it came back as just under $50k. people called it a $50k car. i said the one i sat in at the dealership was $55k.

How Much Did The Toyota Supra Mk4 Cost New? - Garage Dreams

looking at my link here, you'll see how the price dropped by $10k the last two years, just like i said it did, except i thought it was just the last year. your price you quoted was after the price drop. and why did it drop? because they werent selling. and eventually they were cancelled. what other amazing car has had its price drastically slashed like that(msrp)? if they were the incredible machine that everyone says they are, they would have kept selling like hotcakes. the corvette sold well and continued to sell. im not saying the supra isnt a great car, and especially after they came out with tons of stuff to make them super powerful but they were not the uber popular car back then. maybe in some circles they were. they just did not excite. id see occasional stock ones running around, but i remember, specifically, the first time i saw a modded one driving around. it was an older white guy, like in his 60s. i saw plenty of modded NSX running around. people would get all excited when they'd see one. it was THE car back then. The supra may have been a king in some limited circles of guys with $$ but they were not around and i didnt hear people talking about them (like you do now), and i was very into the import scene and knew guys who worked at the magazines and in various car clubs and owned import shops, went to sema, import shows, muscle car shows, truck shows and various car gatherings, and the street races. F&F made that car every import fan boys dream. it was not like that all before. just like Gran Turismo made the GTR popular. very few people knew or cared about that car before GT. we also didnt have social media to blow things up like they do now. back then it was word of mouth and magazines.

of course, this was just my anecdotal experience here in los angeles where you see an exotic of some sort every day. maybe things were different in oklahoma.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Fun fact about the original f&f:

The fastest vehicle in the entire movie was the red Lightning. Some magazine tested all of the cars and they all ran the quarter slower than a bone stock lightning

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

The fastest vehicle in the entire movie was the red Lightning. Some magazine tested all of the cars and they all ran the quarter slower than a bone stock lightning

The actual movie cars or the cars the movie was supposed to be representing?

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

I watched the original "Point Break" last night (classic of 90s action) and it finally hit me that the original F&F is just Point Break with street racers and not surfers. Scene for scene the movies are almost identical. Sure Point Break was probably a rip off of another "outsider FBI UC falling in love with the culture" film. But this was just so damn obvious.

MFE

Established Member
The only reason people give a single **** about cars like the s2000 or miata handling prowess is because they're too slow to race any other way except readily-available street racing.

People love to talk about how well a car handles but when it comes time to do prove something , a straight line race is what's available. No one is out here racing exit ramps, even though several thousand people can be found on road courses on any given weekend, comparing their lap time to others, but never mind that.

FTFY

I'm not supporting the Supra, although I believe they did enough with the suspension tuning to make it a distinct experience from the BMW not that that matters to Straight Line Is Lyfe types but its not a unique or compelling enough package to sway me into it if I were in market.

What I *am* doing is pointing out a laughably ignorant perspective from xblergfmlmthpthpthpx

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I watched the original "Point Break" last night (classic of 90s action) and it finally hit me that the original F&F is just Point Break with street racers and not surfers. Scene for scene the movies are almost identical. Sure Point Break was probably a rip off of another "outsider FBI UC falling in love with the culture" film. But this was just so damn obvious.

Ive heard that comparison before lol. Point Break is a far better movie with much better actors.

My cousin went to school with paul walker. He said theyd play basketball together after school. Said he was a nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Ive heard that comparison before lol. Point Break is a far better movie with much better actors.

My cousin went to school with paul walker. He said theyd play basketball together after school. Said he was a nice guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I've heard that about Walker. Never really a huge of his movies but sad to see him go if he was a genuine guy.

I text my friend the same comment cause I know he is a PB fan. Asked me what I was smoking to compare the two.

Vin Diesel is definitely not Patrick Swayze. FF was also missing the whole crazy partner Gary Busey awesomeness. Still very similar.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
FTFY

I'm not supporting the Supra, although I believe they did enough with the suspension tuning to make it a distinct experience from the BMW not that that matters to Straight Line Is Lyfe types but its not a unique or compelling enough package to sway me into it if I were in market.

What I *am* doing is pointing out a laughably ignorant perspective from xblergfmlmthpthpthpx

It's not that I disagree with you, it's that tens of millions of others do in America. Going to a road course is expensive and really separates the unprepped and poorly assembled cars from real cars. It takes a lot of planing and dedication that most people simply cannot invest. An impromptu street race is instant gratification and unfortunately, the most direct way for most low skill drivers to directly compare vehicles.

MFE

Established Member
Good, thank you, but the point is, dismissing all of a vehicle's capabilities outside of straight line performance as just being an excuse for not being "fast", is to ignore a huge part of why a huge part of the motoring community drives their cars. Just because they can't measure their dicks on the on-ramps (and trust me, they can) doesn't invalidate a car's appeal just because it's not the F&F "fastest".

Now, with that said, it sounds like your understanding is that it's hard or expensive to get a car, any car on a race track, drive the shit out of it, have a blast, and drive it home with the A/C and stereo blasting. It's shockingly easy! You should check it out.

www.drivenasa.com
www.hookedondriving.com
www.pca.org
www.bmwcca.org

And hundreds more!

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
It's not that I disagree with you, it's that tens of millions of others do in America. Going to a road course is expensive and really separates the unprepped and poorly assembled cars from real cars. It takes a lot of planing and dedication that most people simply cannot invest. An impromptu street race is instant gratification and unfortunately, the most direct way for most low skill drivers to directly compare vehicles.
Or it takes $150 pass, a helmet and a stock anything...

You can also appreciate good handling cars any day on some nice twisty roads.

I'd you can't see the enjoyment of a 9K RPM go-kart like an S2K... Then you have poor taste.

Not saying you need to own one or want to own one, but it's like saying "who the hell needs expensive liquor when you can have cheap beer! Can't even drink the whole bottle without passing out!!"

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Or it takes $150 pass, a helmet and a stock anything...

You can also appreciate good handling cars any day on some nice twisty roads.

I'd you can't see the enjoyment of a 9K RPM go-kart like an S2K... Then you have poor taste.

Not saying you need to own one or want to own one, but it's like saying "who the hell needs expensive liquor when you can have cheap beer! Can't even drink the whole bottle without passing out!!"

Road courses are harder to find that drag strips in most places. Like I said, it requires planning and forethought. Impromptu roll races and street digs will most likely remain the dominant form of comparison for probably ever. It's just easier, plain and simple.

The back roads thing I think most people can attest to but it's usually a single car activity. Although, I once had someone follow along with me and it was amazing fun.

Been in a S2000, it made neat noises and handled very well but felt like something was missing. It would be most fun on a tight track and least fun on a big track.

Again, I'm just trying to paint a reality that the things most people on here like are not what the general population likes or understands. People are a whole, are pretty stupid and impressionable. They are the reason there are warning labels on things.

Users who are viewing this thread