Newer to me Cobra, clutch questions.

petersen302

Established Member
Hello Everyone. I bought a Sonic Blue Vert over the winter and have been enjoying it since the weather has broke. The car is quite modified with a sleeved and cammed 4v and a 2.2 KB. It has an RXT clutch. I've driven plenty of cars that have RXT's and other stiff clutches so that part doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that the clutch seems to release at the top of the pedal or when its mostly let out. The previous owner mentioned that his wife drove it from time to time and she was only mid 4 foot. He mentioned that the pivot ball may need to be adjusted to bring the contact point down. My question is - is there any other way to change this without removing the trans? Its 100% driveable right now its just not the most comfortable. I do have an aftermarket quadrant and firewall adjuster but to be honest I haven't had a cable driven clutch car in a long time.

Any help is appreciated!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Does it have the stock or aftermarket quadrant?

I'd get under the car and look things over. The PO installed an RXT in my car, but didn't put in an adjustable pivot ball. So the fork was being shoved into the trans case and there was no room for the fingers to move as the clutch wore. It was driveable, but not correct.

petersen302

Established Member
Does it have the stock or aftermarket quadrant?

I'd get under the car and look things over. The PO installed an RXT in my car, but didn't put in an adjustable pivot ball. So the fork was being shoved into the trans case and there was no room for the fingers to move as the clutch wore. It was driveable, but not correct.
I can do minor mechanical work but I have never pulled a trans on my own. Im assuming this need to have the trans pulled to access the pivot ball?

SVT Hess

THE 3ND
Established Member
There’s a inspection plate on the trans where the cable connects to the fork. The throw out bearing should be right at touching the fingers of the pressure plate but not have any preload pressure. You can do some adjusting with the firewall adjuster/quadrant which will change the release point if the bearing is too far away from the pressure plate. To change out the pivot ball though, you would have to pull the trans.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Transmission isn’t hard to pull.

Tob is a common part to change.

It be a learning experience

When I do my bearing I only pull trans backwards and have enough room to work

It’s a simple driveway job

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Transmission isn’t hard to pull.

Tob is a common part to change.

It be a learning experience

When I do my bearing I only pull trans backwards and have enough room to work

It’s a simple driveway job
Meh.. You are over simplifying this.

Trans is over 100lbs and needs a transmission jack. It's also talk as shit so you need to get the car HIGH up.

As for the OP, sounds like you need adjustment. If your not up for it, just take it to a shop and be done with it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm curious to see how far backed out the firewall adjuster is

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Transmission removal and a clutch job isn't hard. Those adjustable pivot balls on the other hand - total pain. The reason I went with a Centerforce DF clutch (other than it being much cheaper) is to leave out the hassle of the pivot, and it's been perfect. For you, MM makes an adjuster that brings the pedal down, so that may be an easy solution in the meantime.

Lots of pictures of a clutch job in my build thread:
Aluminator Gibtec Build

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
It has an RXT clutch. I've driven plenty of cars that have RXT's and other stiff clutches so that part doesn't bother me.

op i'm confused about this sentence. the twin-disc mcleod rst and rxt's have the lightest pressure plates i've ever driven - MUCH lighter than any conventional single-disc diaghragm clutch. that's what makes them perfect for a daily driver (as long as they're dialed in right).

so if your rxt has stiff a stiff pedal maybe there are other problems you should also check out

Users who are viewing this thread