News blackout - Ohio cloud of Polyvinyl chloride death

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
It was a "controlled burn" in the sense that they did it on purpose, supposedly because the temperature of the tankers were getting too high and they were afraid of it exploding on it's own. The train derailed on a Friday and was on fire from that point through Monday afternoon when they did the "controlled burn" and caused their own explosion of sorts. I agree, between Friday and Monday they should have been able to come up with a better plan that burning it.

The EPA was asked to test for dioxins by J.D. Vance and Sherrod Brown (Ohio Senators), but the EPA says it's not necessary. Here's an exert from the below article: "We did receive a letter from Sen. Brown and Sen. Vance. Our toxicologists are taking a look. Unfortunately, we don’t have any baseline information about the levels of dioxins which are produced also by wildfires, by backyard grilling, by a host of other things,” Shore said. Lester says he has no knowledge of backyard grilling producing a dangerous amount of dioxin."

EPA not testing for dioxins, scientist calls reason ‘lame’
Great, first gas stoves now they're gonna come for our grills next

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
It was a "controlled burn" in the sense that they did it on purpose, supposedly because the temperature of the tankers were getting too high and they were afraid of it exploding on it's own. The train derailed on a Friday and was on fire from that point through Monday afternoon when they did the "controlled burn" and caused their own explosion of sorts. I agree, between Friday and Monday they should have been able to come up with a better plan that burning it.

The EPA was asked to test for dioxins by J.D. Vance and Sherrod Brown (Ohio Senators), but the EPA says it's not necessary. Here's an exert from the below article: "We did receive a letter from Sen. Brown and Sen. Vance. Our toxicologists are taking a look. Unfortunately, we don’t have any baseline information about the levels of dioxins which are produced also by wildfires, by backyard grilling, by a host of other things,” Shore said. Lester says he has no knowledge of backyard grilling producing a dangerous amount of dioxin."

EPA not testing for dioxins, scientist calls reason ‘lame’
Wtf.

What a load of BS. Test the area, see what the levels are, then drive 100 miles west to a similar style town and test there.

I didn't read the link so someone else could have mentioned that already.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Exactly. Being in transportation for the last 23 years, ive never seen anything like this.

Never, ever has anyone "burned off" chemical spills after similar disasters. What in the F??

They first contain the HAZ spill, clean it up using proper PPE, properly disposes of, and move on.

Burn it??? When I first saw this I was in utter disbelief. Guess Ohio is the new Afghanistan.

I’ve been on 200 barrel h2s filled crude oil spills.

Never have I heard the words “ burn off “

Mitigate is the word I always heard. And it never involved burning a damn thing

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I just saw a post on Facebook from my cousin who works for one of the local news stations and she said the EPA is requiring Norfolk Southern to test for dioxins. The press release didn’t mention air, dirt, water or all 3, just that the EPA is now requiring it…like 3 1/2 weeks late. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Exactly. Being in transportation for the last 23 years, ive never seen anything like this.

Never, ever has anyone "burned off" chemical spills after similar disasters. What in the F??

They first contain the HAZ spill, clean it up using proper PPE, properly disposes of, and move on.

Burn it??? When I first saw this I was in utter disbelief. Guess Ohio is the new Afghanistan.

I'd bet Norfolk Southern looked hard at the disaster with two outcomes:
1) Pay to clean it up. It already had dirty-dirt there, btw.
2) Play the "it could blow up at anytime, so we gotta burn it" card, thinking it would be a cheaper, easier route for them.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone want to start a pool where NS will derail on the first week of May in Ohio??? Seems like that is now the norm with them.

Is “east of the Mississippi” too broad?

There are derailments ALL over the damn place, all the time. No derailment is good, but they aren’t all that uncommon.

Yard derailments don’t even count in my book. And even small mainline derailments can be incredibly minor.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Is “east of the Mississippi” too broad?

There are derailments ALL over the damn place, all the time. No derailment is good, but they aren’t all that uncommon.

Yard derailments don’t even count in my book. And even small mainline derailments can be incredibly minor.
Oh I know, I was just pointing out both of these have happen the first week of the months and both in my own state.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
1679389285193.jpeg

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
It's been 6 weeks and Biden still has not been there.

As most Americans would believe, he never will go there. He would be heckled and run out of town on a NS rail.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
It's been 6 weeks and Biden still has not been there.

As most Americans would believe, he never will go there. He would be heckled and run out of town on a NS rail.
He only rides on Amtrak trains

He doesn't even know where there is

"Besides, it's toxic as shit, I ain't going Jack. Cmon man" ~whoever sticks their hand up his ass to make make him talk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
@HudsonFalcon, what's your take on all of these recent derailments? Track or trackbed issues? Lack of proper maintenance? Crazy with all these derailments.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
@HudsonFalcon, what's your take on all of these recent derailments? Track or trackbed issues? Lack of proper maintenance? Crazy with all these derailments.

All of the above Bob. Old track and surface not being properly maintained due to cost cutting. Equipment not being properly inspected. Crew shortages resulting in longer heavier trains thus increasing the chance of problems en route.

That video posted above apparently the train wasn’t even moving it just tipped over due to uneven surface.

Users who are viewing this thread