Next DA?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
So my 3401 died after 2.5 years and over 120 details..... I had a Rupes 15E and it died after probably 30 details. I have a PE-14 rotary for my heavy duty jobs but I'd like to have a good DA for my regular jobs. Is the Rupes 21 worth the extra $20? Right now the 3401 is $299 @ AG (which is a helluva deal) but the Rupes 21 is $319. I'm afraid to pull the trigger given my last experience with the 15. Thoughts?

hoamskilet

Established Member
I can't compare since I've never used a 3401, but I couldn't be happier with my 21. I've had it for a couple of years now and it's been a great machine.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I can't compare since I've never used a 3401, but I couldn't be happier with my 21. I've had it for a couple of years now and it's been a great machine.

Thanks for the input - is the 21 more powerful that the 15 or does it just have a larger throw? I've heard pretty good things about the 21 but the thing that I do like about the 3401 is it doesn't bog at all (due to forced rotation) where my 15 bogged all the time.

hoamskilet

Established Member
That I'm not sure. I've done the washer mod to mine and also have the 5.5" plate on mine since I prefer the smaller pads. I've had the occasional bog here and there, but nothing I would ever consider problematic

mcate

Established Member
I bought mine this past spring for $299. You get a 6" plate, 3 pads, extra brushes for the motor, & a carrying bag. At $299 I thought it was the best deal going.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I ended up going with the 3401... the 21 was seriously tempting but the Flex is tried and true. Now I just need some customers!! I hate starting from scratch but it is what it is. Thanks for everyone's input!

SuperMarioSVT

Kiss of Death
Established Member
I ended up going with the 3401... the 21 was seriously tempting but the Flex is tried and true. Now I just need some customers!! I hate starting from scratch but it is what it is. Thanks for everyone's input!

Good choice! I have both a 3401 and a Rupes 21. The Flex is a million times better than the Rupes. I hate my Rupes.

Merlinii

Worlds Shiniest HD F-150!
Established Member
I'd go for the Rupes 21 Mark II. I've been using my Rupes 21 (with the KB washer mod) since it first came out.
For me, it's the go-to machine I reach for. The finish with Megs 5" mf cutting discs and Essence is awesome!

oldmodman

Established Member
I am still using my original PC from 10 years ago.
Plus I got a Flex four years ago and it's still just fine.
I wonder if the failures are caused by too much pad pressure making the polisher get blazing hot?
I may be getting away with less pressure because I get most of any required heavy duty polishing out of the way with one of my rotaries.
And only have to do light swirl removal with a Random Orbital.
I even do jeweling with a rotary. I just put on a gold pad and use PO85rd. No pressure needed for that.

hoamskilet

Established Member
IF business takes off I may get a Rupes 15 or 21.... I'm guessing my Rupes 15 dying was a freak event.

I think so. I've seen varied opinions on how people like them, but i can't recall the last time I saw anything about a machine failure

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I am still using my original PC from 10 years ago.
Plus I got a Flex four years ago and it's still just fine.
I wonder if the failures are caused by too much pad pressure making the polisher get blazing hot?
I may be getting away with less pressure because I get most of any required heavy duty polishing out of the way with one of my rotaries.
And only have to do light swirl removal with a Random Orbital.
I even do jeweling with a rotary. I just put on a gold pad and use PO85rd. No pressure needed for that.

I think a lot had to do with being in a very hot humid environment (Okinawa is crazy hot and humid) plus i used to use way too my spray on my pads so that may have something to do with it too.

I still have my PC too but I mainly use it on interiors. And any of my in depth details starts with the rotary as well- the PE14 is a beast!

coolcobramatt

Mystified and terminated
Established Member
If anyone is in the market now, I am selling my Rupes Duetto for 250 shipped. I love it just don't need it along with the 15.

Users who are viewing this thread