Next go around

bret a ewing

Established Member
Sorry pal.

That was over 10 years ago, a lifetime in the auto industry.
Bill Ford (read: his peeps) did a great job with the GT project and it served his purpose. He used racing heritage as a platform for "The Pace Car For The Entire Company". To retro a retro may produce sales but would dilute the forward looking philosophy of Bill and Ford as a car company.
From a racing prospective the FGT Matech team was a fantastic effort......past.
If, and I do mean if Ford decides to pursue support / sponsorsip of the higher levels of racing they need to have cutting edge technology. I'm sure you watched Lemans so you know what it takes.

But dont kill your dream just yet, Ford is building exciting new cars and as I have said will probably unveil a new sports-type (vs pony) concept car to gauge public interest.
I asked the same question as you did to some top brass at Ford only to get the same dissapointing answer. I even threatened to buy a new Viper (heaven forbid) and the response didn't change............"we won't build another but if you really have to have a GT, why not go out and buy one?"

I think a lot of folks are doing just that. Hence why the prices are continually rising. They are not inexpensive, but may seem a bargain in years to come.
Good luck in your search.
Best, Bret.

Last edited:

bret a ewing

Established Member
Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong about this!!

And, Yes, I have had a R&T supscription for 30 years - kept every issue (no idea why) so I saw the article. There was also an article a few years back that Ford was considering a (GT) comeback, and to vote on your favorite Ford GT concept car. They provided Beautiful pictures to vote on but that was about it. Autoweek throws a GT teaser in every 8 months or so........gets my heart-a-pumpin'. The other mags dare Ford as well.

Here is another: http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...gt_first_look/

Most folks won't or can't pay the $200+k for a GT now will they spend a third of a mil + for a new one?
Ford has their hands full trying to sell a very expensive pickup truck with ample competition and a questionable economy.
Since I would like to be considered a "hopeful pragmatist" vs a "nellie" I would love to see a fresh mid engine supercar from Ford. I'd be one of the first in line to buy one.

Best, Bret.

Last edited:

Charlington

Established Member
Bargain of the year was 45yrs ago when someone bolted a sbc in the back seat of a Corvair using the stock Corvair 4sp and IRS.
Ford never made anything to make it that easy. Sounds like a fun project for a 95 Vert with a removable hardtop. Stretch it just enough to get the 5.0L (6.2L?) in behind the driver and replace the rear axle with something special... Ford GT sorta looks like a pancaked SN95.

Charlington

Established Member
1966 Shelby Roush GT40

There is a genuine 1966 Shelby GT40 with Roush 427 on Ebay for a measly 189K. 7d left...

Edit: Please forgive my haste as this GT40 is actually a 2011 chassis titled as a 1966. I Know, bummer huh? :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread