Next SVT GT350 to get Carbon Fiber wheels

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Disclaimer: I don't have ANY inside sources at Ford. This is open-source intel analysis.

The technology that Ford will be using is discussed here:

[video=youtube_share;gWiTky3zZXQ]http://youtu.be/gWiTky3zZXQ[/video]

The "car" that is discussed that hasn't been officially announced yet is none other than the new SVT.

Take the parts listing as "CF wheels" in the new catalog and these two videos for confirmation. The 2nd video directly discusses the applications it would be first introduced on. So the testing was completed sometime after January 30th and these wheels given the green light.

http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Carbon-Fiber-and-Magnesium-Whee

Hell yes! Worth up to 1.4 seconds per lap and better steering feel! Dave Pericak already touched on the improved precision of the new dual ball-joint front suspension on S550, and this is over S197 which was already lauded for its world-class steering precision.

With a rumored 600+ horse 5.2 flat-plane with larger bore spacing than the 100mm Mod motors have been saddled with this will be one world-class ride. Given that the Z28 doesn't run very well at Laguna Seca (only .8 faster than outgoing GT500) this car will be more of a Ferrari 458, 911 Turbo, GTR Slayer.

Road-course guys start saving your money!

tmhutch

4v>3v>2v
Established Member
Crazy good. Fords gone off the deep end. Whose steering that ship? Give him a raise!

So now were saying 600+ HP? Is this a case of the tale grows taller with time or do we have information contradicting the earlier 550'ish HP predictions?

smashedheadcat

Established Member
While I am as excited as anyone for this beefed up mustang, don't you feel these rumors are a little unreasonable?

600+hp flat plane 5.2
Carbon Ceramic brakes
Carbon fiber 19x11.5 wheels
Reduced weight
z/28, 458, 911 turbo, gtr slayer
Less than $60K

Get serious guys.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
While I am as excited as anyone for this beefed up mustang, don't you feel these rumors are a little unreasonable?

600+hp flat plane 5.2
Carbon Ceramic brakes
Reduced weight
Less than $60K

Get serious guys.

60K is probably a pipe dream with carbon ceramic brakes, probably more like 70K. I would think the carbon ceramics would be optional or available only on the rumored GT-350R.

Motor Trend's latest article stated 600+ is possible out of this new one-off 5.2. Ford brings a ton of economy of scale advantages to the equation which will enable performance on par with the cars I mentioned for lower cost.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I can see Carbon Fiber wheels going on the GT350R track only models. No VIN, etc etc.

No way they would put CF on a street car with a warranty.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I can see Carbon Fiber wheels going on the GT350R track only models. No VIN, etc etc.

agreed with this...

I wonder what price point if gonna be for this car and what it will be for the other svt model....

Mombo

Established Member
Light Is Right...

Well I Think CF Wheels And Brakes Would Be Options On A GT350 Or Just On The GT350R
The Corvette Z06 Has A Base Car And Then You Can Option Up To The Z07 Package :coolman:

But They Should Make It On To The Production Car. The Z28 Has The CF Brakes And Ford Wants To One Up Them Plus Shave As Much Weight As They Can. So CF Springs Would Be A Big Chunk Too.

As For The 600+ HP, The Ferrari 458 Speciale Makes 596HP Out Of 4.5 Liters For 132.4 HP Per Liter

The Ford FPC 5.2 At 606HP Would Be 116.5 HP Per Liter, Not As Hi Strung As The Ferrari 458 Speciale With A Lot More Torque.

To The List Posted earlier, I Say Yes For Top Dog Trim Level SVT With The Base Model Getting Steel Brakes, Steel Spings, Aluminum Wheels, Etc...

600+hp flat plane 5.2
Carbon Ceramic brakes
Reduced weight
Less than $80K (Fixed)

If Ford And SVT Can Pull This Off For The Price Of A Z28 This Will Be The VooDoo They Speak Of.....;-)

Voodoo-Blog-Banner.jpg

Last edited:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member

Never say never. In that engineering tv segment Matthew Zaluzec, Ford Tech Leader, specifically says they're looking to transition these lighter weight wheel technologies into the entire fleet with the first application being a more limited production model, the Mustang program and an SVT vehicle was specifically mentioned as a good starting point with the goal being to eventually scale-up to higher-production vehicles like Fusion. I bet it will be offered on the standard version with a full warranty, he specifically said they wouldn't green-light it if the durability tests were not passed. The new parts listings for "CF wheels" tell us that indeed they passed durability. The forged aluminum wheels are already very expensive so it's not much of a stretch to imagine that with a break-through technology that decreases manufacturing costs as Carbon Revolution is claiming could make these carbon fiber wheels quite price competitive.

I have some experience with medical composites and I'm almost willing to bet these are cured with UV light instead of being auto-claved.

Mombo

Established Member
Carbon fiber composites

In that engineering tv segment Matthew Zaluzec, Ford Tech Leader, specifically says they're looking to transition these lighter weight wheel technologies into the entire fleet with the first application being a more limited production model, the Mustang program and an SVT vehicle was specifically mentioned as a good starting point with the goal being to eventually scale-up to higher-production vehicles like Fusion. I bet it will be offered on the standard version with a full warranty, he specifically said they wouldn't green-light it if the durability tests were not passed. The new parts listings for "CF wheels" tell us that indeed they passed durability. The forged aluminum wheels are already very expensive so it's not much of a stretch to imagine that with a break-through technology that decreases manufacturing costs as Carbon Revolution is claiming could make these carbon fiber wheels quite price competitive.

I have some experience with medical composites and I'm almost willing to bet these are cured with UV light instead of being auto-claved.

I Think You Are Spot On With These Wheels Plus They Are Makeing A Lot Of Parts From Composites...

Whatch This Video Of The Parts They Are Makeing For Future Production Cars (Think SVT GT350)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fqFgj6zfHso

Carbon Revolution Wheels From Jay Leno's Video Are 100% The Same Wheel As The Ford CF Wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgi_dbVZTrU&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
That is the first I've heard of a bore spacing change, that requires new tooling and engine castings/parts, big dollars.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I Think You Are Spot On With These Wheels Plus They Are Makeing A Lot Of Parts From Composites...

Whatch This Video Of The Parts They Are Makeing For Future Production Cars (Think SVT GT350)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fqFgj6zfHso

Carbon Revolution Wheels From Jay Leno's Video Are 100% The Same Wheel As The Ford CF Wheels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgi_dbVZTrU&feature=player_embedded

Thanks! Great post on the lightweight Fusion vid. Maybe we'll be seeing a few more weight-saving pieces on the next SVT.

That is the first I've heard of a bore spacing change, that requires new tooling and engine castings/parts, big dollars.

The Trinity block was sand-cast in Germany by Honsel and then completed by hand on the niche-line. Why couldn't different bore spacing be utilized on an engine that never sees Ford's main Romeo engine production line? I think the way the block is made in Germany lends to very flexible configuration changes. Ford had already committed to the 5.4 architecture and re-designing that entire engine wasn't in the budget. Heck, even redesigning the heads wasn't in the budget. Now that the S197 and Trinity have been discontinued I'm sure Ford has given SVT a whole new engine development budget to work with. The S550 will be around for a while and they've got plenty of model years to amortize their initial development costs. A departure from the 100mm bore spacing isn't just plausible for a niche-line motor but highly likely.

Mombo

Established Member
Ford

IPHONE 2278.JPGIPHONE 1754.JPGIPHONE 1755.JPGIPHONE 1756.JPGIPHONE 2277.JPG
Thanks! Great post on the lightweight Fusion vid. Maybe we'll be seeing a few more weight-saving pieces on the next SVT

Yes Very Good Video And Many Light Weight Parts. I See Con Rods, Hollow Springs, CF Seat, Hybrid Windsheild, Plus A Lot Of Aluminum And Composites :read: Looks Like A Bad FoMoCo SVT GT350R ;-)

If your going to spend 80k on this voodoo mustang whatever model it is, your better off with the new c7 z06. Better bang for your buck.

The Base Model 2015 Z06 Is 80K With No Carbon Brakes Or Wheels. Fully Loaded Z07 Will Be Over 100K

Ford GT350R Will Be Top Of The Mustang Food Chain For Under 80K With Carbon Wheels / Brakes / Etc

Bang For Buck Will Be Great On Both Cars. We Are Living Thru The New Muscle Car Era And It Is Sweet

My 2014 GT500 Bought New For 55.9K Is Still King Of The Bang For Buck At Only $84 Per Horse Power
:coolman:

Last edited:

wildwill532

Established Member
I agree 60k but 80k gtfo. Ford is losing touch with the class it usually catered to. Yes I can afford one but no way will I spend 80k on a ford mustang of any sort.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
Plausible, and I would love to see it, but we are talking new (unique) crank, heads and block, gaskets, cams, etc. etc. Spacing is definitely the weak point of the mod for sure, but I can't see them doing it without a big commitment that would be hard to keep secret. Maybe a small stroke Raptor 6.2 with 4 valve and all aluminum architecture (I can hope)......cheaper to do if there is a chance for low mass production (using block/crank/gasket tooling existing). Curious, has anyone done the math to see what displacement would be on a spray bore coyote? I'm not sure of current sleeve thickness, is 5.2 even possible with current casting (assuming stroke stays the same, requires about a .09" overbore)?
I also think the 6.2 stroke shrinking route would allow an easier path to 600 @ flywheel as this thing in 2V form has been experimented on already (and probably more). In any case I hope you're right about the spacing, that would be the key to making the mod motor see its full potential.

specizripn

Established Member
Plausible, and I would love to see it, but we are talking new (unique) crank, heads and block, gaskets, cams, etc. etc. Spacing is definitely the weak point of the mod for sure, but I can't see them doing it without a big commitment that would be hard to keep secret. Maybe a small stroke Raptor 6.2 with 4 valve and all aluminum architecture (I can hope)......cheaper to do if there is a chance for low mass production (using block/crank/gasket tooling existing). Curious, has anyone done the math to see what displacement would be on a spray bore coyote? I'm not sure of current sleeve thickness, is 5.2 even possible with current casting (assuming stroke stays the same, requires about a .09" overbore)?
I also think the 6.2 stroke shrinking route would allow an easier path to 600 @ flywheel as this thing in 2V form has been experimented on already (and probably more). In any case I hope you're right about the spacing, that would be the key to making the mod motor see its full potential.
Would also have to cast the block in Aluminum

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
I agree 60k but 80k gtfo. Ford is losing touch with the class it usually catered to. Yes I can afford one but no way will I spend 80k on a ford mustang of any sort.

Just like every single other car... Prices continue to rise. People continue to pay them.

If you don't want to pay $80k. Pay $60k. Just like with the 13 GT500. You could get the car for $55k. Or $70k. Guess who is happier two years later with residual value? The guy who paid $55k.

Don't want to spend $60k? Spend $40k on a GT with a perf pack.

Don't want to spend $40k? Spend $30k on a Ecoboost with a performance pack.

There's a range of $50k. Something for everyone's budget.

Randy M

Established Member
Everybody talks about what they want. Higher hp/tq numbers, higher quality parts, lower weight, better materials, fit and finish etc. Sounds like Ford wants to be a true competitor to the top dogs from Europe. Well if you want all of this then you're going to have to pay for it....;-)

Users who are viewing this thread