NGK TR5's or NGK TR6's??

Hammer

Established Member
I was told by a couple of reputable performance Mustang mechanics that the NGK TR6's are too cold for our cars. I know that a lot of guys were talking about the TR6's for their 03 Cobras. Any thoughts?

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
With Stock Pulley you can use Autolite 764's.with pulley change i would use NGKtr6 and gap atleast to 40..

Jim V.

Carlitos

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
With Stock Pulley you can use Autolite 764's.with pulley change i would use NGKtr6 and gap atleast to 40..

Jim V.

Yep. That's my understanding. As you increase boost you'll want a cooler plug to help prevent detonation.

'Los

Rick@Amazon

SVT God
Established Member
We always used the TR 5's on N/A cars and the TR 6's on blown Mod motors. TR 6's have worked great in the Lightnings. If you guys look at your dyno graphs you'll notice aroud 4800 up that the power curve starts to get very jagged. This is spark blowout. Like Jim said gap the TR 6's around .40 to start and see is the curve smooths out. If it dosen't take them down to .35. As far as denso and the other high dollar plugs on the market we never tried them. The NGK's have worked so well and there around $2 each. The Autolite 764 are very close to the TR 6's. They work well also, but I still prefer the NGK's. Hope I could help.
Rick

Hammer

Established Member
Originally posted by AmazonRacing
We always used the TR 5's on N/A cars and the TR 6's on blown Mod motors. TR 6's have worked great in the Lightnings. If you guys look at your dyno graphs you'll notice aroud 4800 up that the power curve starts to get very jagged. This is spark blowout. Like Jim said gap the TR 6's around .40 to start and see is the curve smooths out. If it dosen't take them down to .35. As far as denso and the other high dollar plugs on the market we never tried them. The NGK's have worked so well and there around $2 each. The Autolite 764 are very close to the TR 6's. They work well also, but I still prefer the NGK's. Hope I could help.
Rick

Thanks Rick and Jimmy. That clears it up for me.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread