night driving with HID fogs only

sxecobra

Established Member
you guys with 5k+ hid fogs ever drive at night with your headlights off n fogs on? I did last night.. is it legal? just did it to look cool I guess. I had perfect visibility n other cars could clearly see me.

Mr.Venom

Quick with Boltons
Established Member
I believe its illegal. Not because you only had foglights on but at night, I believe its required you have headlights on regardless.

I do however run just foglights most of the time until it gets as dark as possible.

RDWHINE

Terminator
Established Member
Yes I think it is illegal too but our cars with just fogs on look good, especially with hids

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your headlights (with your fogs) should give you more total illumination, which is what you want. I definitely don't recommend driving with your fogs only, as cool as it might look.

Cobra 08

So Tired
Established Member
I recently changed my bulbs on my fog lights and they are brighter than my headlights! I vote no headlights.

sc98cbra

Established Member
It's illegal. Although illuminates as much light as headlights, the DOT in every state require lights to on be at a certain height; no lower then your knees, no higher then your torso, if I'm not mistaken.

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Illegal here in Mass. Just about a month ago my buddy and I got pulled over in his SVTF because he had just his fogs on right around dusk. Also got him for having HIDs in the fogs :nonono:

MysticRob

Established Member
I've read and was told long ago that fog lights were intended to help drivers during see the road edge, lane markers, and the immediate foreground in front of the vehicle that headlights normally didn't cover well during inclement weather. For some reason though, many drivers around here tend to use them on clear nights with their headlights, which effectively blinds oncoming drivers and is something that irritates everyone I know including me. And it seems fog lights these days are much brighter and seem to be aimed upward, which is even worse than in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread