Nitrous guys? Need help with ZEX and the coyote

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
I have a ZEX universal EFI kit, its not the coyote specific kit, just the universal kit that says it fits most/all efi v8s. It is a wet kit, and has the NMU unit. I also have a zex window switch.

I've noticed on the coyote specific kit, theres a resistor that zex includes that you put in line with the throttle voltage wire to the tps, but the kit I have does not have that resistor? What do I do? Also, the NMU for the coyote kit is different than the universal one I have, its just the one with the button on it, the coyote one has a toggle switch.

I've purchased the fuel line adapter already for the fuel feed, and I'm trying to get everything lined up to install, but keep finding little things like this. Does anyone else know of any other problems I'm going to run into?

Does anyone have a useful tech support number for zex that could answer these questions if you don't know the answer?? THanks so much.

If you haven't figured it out, this is for a 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 with an A6

hitmix300

Established Member
i would find out what ohm the resistor is and get the coyote installation instructions and improvise. Should be a slam dunk dude. glad to see you got a wet kit.

debit_free_2010

Established Member
According to ZEX, it's an 82K ohm, ½ watt resistor used to prevent the TPS signal from being spiked from their controller.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
So could I use that resistor with the universal kit that I have? Can I just go to radio shack and use it somewhere?

Im new at nitrous, So I've been trying to read up on everything to make sure I can get this installed.

Again, its the universal efi kit from zex, with a zex window switch, and dyno tune automatic bottle heater. So far I've discovered for this kit to work on the coyote I need the coyote fuel adapter, which I have on the way, Ive called bama and am almost ready to get the nitrous tunes, and I'm trying to figure out this resistor problem. Do I just solder the resistor in between the wires? Does anyone know which color wire on the TPS I need to tap into?

So

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
So could I use that resistor with the universal kit that I have? Can I just go to radio shack and use it somewhere?

Im new at nitrous, So I've been trying to read up on everything to make sure I can get this installed.

Again, its the universal efi kit from zex, with a zex window switch, and dyno tune automatic bottle heater. So far I've discovered for this kit to work on the coyote I need the coyote fuel adapter, which I have on the way, Ive called bama and am almost ready to get the nitrous tunes, and I'm trying to figure out this resistor problem. Do I just solder the resistor in between the wires? Does anyone know which color wire on the TPS I need to tap into?

So

I know what you are going through. I am on my first nitrous setup and it took alot of trial and error and alot of reading to get everything wired up correctly. The guys here were a big help too. That is a pretty gutsy move going for a universal kit instead of one of the coyote specific kits for your first setup.
As far as your TPS goes. I would tap the brown wire going into the throttle body connector. Radio Shack should have the resistor you need.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Do you know the differences with the universal kit? I assumed it was just regular solenoids in their NMU unit? I was thinking it was the same thing minus the fuel adapter and resistor? I hope I'm right. Cars not paid off.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I'm just saying that you are adding complications and trying to work around them, when you could have just bought the coyote specific kit and been done with it.

grnenvy

Established Member
U can do away with that TPS setup and go with a Micro switch under the pedal. IMOP it's very simple and proven. There's nothing wrong with a universal kit there actually fun to figure out and build.
You know as long as your good with wiring and have common sense u should be fine.

Another option which is awesome and makes things simple is the JMS nitrous controller.

Last edited:

CharlieR

Established Member
I really don't believe the "box" for the Universial Zex kit will work correctly with the Drive by wire system. You will have to use a WOT switch on the pedal. Also if the window switch is not for a single fire it will not work(if it worked on a 99-04 it should work). The "box" is also not adjustable so if you fall to 30psi(bad in a 55psi system) the box will still be spraying. The BIGGEST issue I see with rigging a ZEX kit to your car is: if it doesn't have N2O pressure it won't open solenoids, that means the only way to see if your piece'd together system works is to spray it. Could get ugly fast.
IMO The best option is to put that in the classifieds/craigslist and get one of the cheaper specific kits. After all if you're trying to save $ due to a car payment what happens if it works just enough to hurt something? If you had "random" solenoids and wanted to set up your kit I'd say yes but Zex is a special animal and I'm afraid you'll get bitten.

P.S. Even with the JMS controller(awesome piece if my car ever lets go it will be controlling a 300 Direct Port into a forged bottom. :)) I'd advise against trying to adapt a Zex kit, due to "the Box".

Last edited:

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Well, I have what I have. I don't see how its complicating? Its a universal kit, and drive by wire has nothing to do with it? It wires into the tps switch and learns the wot voltage, and that's what activates the nitrous? Its not a window switch you tie onto a throttle cable or anything...

Its a safe kit, I have the zex window switch to go along with it. It learns WOT from the voltage, you set the box in test mode and press to wot with the car off, and it learns the throttle voltage at WOT, after that, you wire up the window switch and set at WOT and 3000-6000 activation..

I just didn't have the fuel adapter that comes with the specific kit, and then I noticed the resistor. Other than that I see no differences. Its been brought to my attention that the box I have requires 36-38ish psi of fuel pressure to activate, and that would work fine being the coyote is in the 50 plus psi range.

125oh

Established Member
Does the zex tps sensor call for falling or rising voltage ? My nos window/ wot switch calls for falling voltage . In which you tap the brown .

When throttle is closed voltage is 4.3 wide open 1.2-1.3

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Honestly, I have no idea. I did finally get a number to talk to a zex rep, and he explained to me that all the boxes in every kit they have has the same internals. He told me as long as I solder in that resistor and have the fuel line adapter, its the same exact thing as having the coyote specific kit. He sd the NMU units look different, but have the same soelinoids internally, and it should just be a plug and play thing as long as I have the tune for it. :banana:

So as long as he's correct, all I have to do at this point is get the resistor, make the install, and upload the tune!

Users who are viewing this thread