nitrous????

1sic04cobra

Established Member
So I'm getting tuned pretty soon with my 2.2KB I was curious if there is any benefit to running nitrous on these motors apart from the hp/tq gains. Is there any cooling effects etc.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Would help if you mention what engine your talking about, guessing by your name 03/04 Cobra (sounds dumb but a lot of guys my self included have out dated names for there set up).

I'm curious about this myself, I have about 3 kits worth of parts friends keep donating, trying to convince me it's a smart idea on a "purely street car".

From my research, yes there is a small additional gain from the cooling in addition to the normal/expected gain from the additional O2 but it's pretty negligible. It doesn't seem anymore effective than meth/water or E85 in the cooling aspect. It's hard to judge since E85 has cooling effects at the port vs the manifold so you won't see it in AITs, but the difference in latent heat vs gasoline supports it's cooling potential. I can see the allure, I'm running a maxed out Posi/Dragon/E85 combo. A nice 75-100 shot in 3-4 would push me to the next tier on the street. My concern is making a safe and convenient kit where I don't need to load a separate tune when I want to use it.

Logically, this means a wet kit since pre-MAF is a pretty risky idea but the only way beside a wet kit to add the fuel without jacking up your WOT fueling all the time. Thankfully running E85 would mean not giving up as much timing when running w/o sprayim on a single tune. Then the next issue is lean spikes, especially on a returnless system, on a wet kit imparting quick unexpected/unmetered fuel demands.

I've been looking into running my old fuel hat and pump(s) with a regulator and 1 gal tank like the NX S.A.F.E. system. This seems to minimize negative effects, but I'm discouraged that no one has tried this (without the actually SAFE kit).

I guess my question reading is: "Why do you ask"?
I hope this will start a discussion with some of the more experienced tech/tuning guys. Self tuning and having kit(s) laying around it is VERY tempting to experiment but I feel I might be pushing my luck.

Last edited:

1sic04cobra

Established Member
I am in a 04 cobra, as we all know compressed air generates heat after multiple WOT runs AIT's creep up making it dangerous and creating loss in power. The reason I ask is I have heard in the olden days of hotrodding BDS would sometimes recommend the use of nitrous for the cooling effects. Again I know the old motors were not computerized but was wondering if it was worthwhile for decreasing IAT's apart from reaping the benefits of power/torque.

Users who are viewing this thread