nitto nt555s in colder weather

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
now is the time of year when I normally swap back on the summer tires in the DC area (avg low is above freezing / little chance of snow). I've now got an lms sve summer package languishing in the basement but have heard nt555s are bad when it's colder (between freezing and 45 degrees). should I wait for April?

stewarts2008

Established Member
they are pretty bad...... I got caught in a blizzard when i was driving across the country.... this was new mexico.... there were several times i thought i was going to die...... this was my 11' v6.

340750_1792810693077_615447681_o_zps503556ea.jpg

looks like my rears were on backwards too.....

Last edited:

Ron Mexico

Deploying SVT Poster
Established Member
I did one winter on summer tires in an ms3. fwd but still thought I was going to die as well. rwd cars with all seasons and winter tires were zipping right by me.

Lethal302

Roar
Established Member
I have mine on year round. They're 10x better in warmer weather but you're not going to die driving in them. I've had them in the snow and everything before I got my jeep and they actually handled pretty well as long as you don't drive like an idiot.

But to answer your question, I'd say minimum 50 degrees works best for them

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
I drove on my NT555R's year round (even in the snow). I wouldn't recommend it but it wont kill you.

If you're not in a rush then I would wait until about April.

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
I drive mine year round as well. But sub 50 degrees they are a pain to get to hook doing roll on runs, but for DDing I have no issues. I just dont drive the car in the snow since I have a truck as well.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Not sure how you guys are driving on these. I have the stock Cooper tires that come on the Roush's and when it snows even a little, they are a nightmare to be on. The car typically doesnt move at all with any sort of snow or ice on the ground.

CobraHuck

Established Member
If theres even a chance of decent snow/ice there's no way in hell I'd put em on. Here in GA we rarely get either, had 555s on my old 5.0 and ran em year round, no problem at all. Just wont hook for crap in the cold, got stuck in one freak snow storm on the way back to college once but it was fine cuz it never accumulated on the road.

Sent from TapaTwat

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
they are pretty bad...... I got caught in a blizzard when i was driving across the country.... this was new mexico.... there were several times i thought i was going to die...... this was my 11' v6.

340750_1792810693077_615447681_o_zps503556ea.jpg

looks like my rears were on backwards too.....

:lol:LOL at this post.

Seriously though, glad you came through.

I have 555r's too, got caught in Pa. coming home in a mild snow storm, I was scared shitless.

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
dont drive like a fool and youll generally be fine with a Summer tire in cold temps, I used to daily drive my 510rwhp Fox Saleen years ago in the winter with a Nitto DR, I lived

scubasteve405

I don't get all the panic about cold weather. I drove my kenne bell gt500 to work a few times in sub freezing weather. And I have nt05r's on the back. I didn't die or have any iffy moments. You just gotta be real easy on the go pedal. I'd be more concerned about rain. But if it snows, that's a completely different story.
I plan to replace them with 555r's and they are definitely going to get driven when it's cold and dry.

Users who are viewing this thread