No power problem 95R

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Finally got the exhaust uncorked on #181, so the wife and I decided to drive the cars on some twisty backroads.

Early on I attempted a pass on a slower vehicle, and the car just fell flat. On. Its. Face. Plop.

It refused to rev, and I absolutely could not get it to respond to any throttle input. The first time I stopped, I was looking for vacuum hoses that may have blown off (or apart), nothing was obvious. At this point I decided we needed to return to the shop, since it was still running and driving and I did NOT want to have the car towed.

I kept stopping and popping the hood, looking for things that I was thinking may be the problem...nothing doing. Meanwhile, temps even in the north Georgia mountains were nearly 100 degrees, higher still on the two lane blacktop we were standing on.

Finally, during one stop I blipped the throttle (easy to reach, also useful as a diagnostic tool) and promptly saw the intake hose suck shut. What the #!$?

Upon arrival at the shop, I was thinking about what on earth would cause so much of a pressure drop in the intake tract to suck it shut...then it dawned on me.

I pulled the air filter...or what was left of it. Apparently, during my pass, the engine tried to eat the filter, and the plastic cone was a perfect fit on the wire screen in the MAF...It nearly completely cut off air flow to the engine. Swapped out the filter, et voila...pulls like a freight train again. I imagine the glue on the old filter had given up and allowed it to spontaneously disassemble itself.

Anyway, too funny not to share.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Wow. Never would have guessed that. Thanks for sharing.

Shhhh

Established Member
Good catch! I was up in Dalohnega last month and brought my '13 up there for the first time. What a beautiful place to drive around. Glad to hear you got it all squared away.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I am also glad that you found the problem. I also would have never guessed a collapsed filter.

We've all driven the Dragon's Trail which is just barely out of GA and into TN and NC. It's not much fun anymore because of it's popularity. The better road is north of Dahlonega on Highway 60 to Suches and north (not on map) and then to the Blue Ridge Parkway and right (south) on Hwy 129 to the Six Gaps.

You will shift hundreds of times just on Hwy 60.

SixGapRG.gif

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Hi Doc...yep, very familiar with 60, we and the "Meadowdale Mob" (biker group) made several trips to Suches and beyond. It's a great area for twisties. The Gap (Deal's Gap) was great 15-20 years ago, but upon wide use of the internet (and locals not being able to keep a secret), it's just a zoo - especially on weekends. Both it and Cherohala are places to stay away from, during weekends...pretty much Thursday late afternoon through Tuesday morning. On the rare occasion that I can get up there in the middle of the week though - it's awesome. About three weeks ago I got a hall pass to make a trip through Cherohala. Even on the bike I wasn't traveling as quickly as I did in the R model. I sincerely expected to pull a Doc and be arrested before I made it to Robbinsville, but fortunately I was left alone. I broke the ton in several places on that road, that day.

One unexpected new development on Cherohala, was the installation of a radar activated warning sign on the lone decreasing radius traveling east. I knew about the turn and adjusted my speed accordingly, but I was still traveling close to 2x the posted limit and got flashed. I really expected it to be a "Gatso box", or speed camera, and I almost stopped and reversed before I thought it could take my picture...but I haven't been mailed a citation yet. Apparently it's just a warning light that's activated by traffic flowing east. At least, I *hope* so...

Users who are viewing this thread