No Recaros for me

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Sat in a 2020 a couple of weeks ago and those Recaros are super tight on my shoulders and lats. Very different feel from the 13-14 cars.

Talked to a forum friend and he said he had heard the same from another owner who had both cars.

Edmunds long-term car had two different staffers comment the 2020 Recaros are not super comfortable on roadtrips.

Watched this video and the reviewer says the same thing twice in the first 5 minutes of the video. Comparing the 13-14 Recaros to his 350R which is the same seat as the 500.

I like the weight savings but I wish the dimensions were similar to the 13-14 cars for comfort. Looks like I'm getting base seats. I'm kind of disappointed.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm 6'1" 230lbs, and like them.

Sent from my Potato

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Unless you’re tracking I think you’re going to be surprised how much you like the heat/cool seats. :)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I had '13 Recaro's in my '09 GT500, Recaro's in my '16 GT350, and have Recaro's in my '20 GT500. I've had numerous lengthy trips in them (14-16hrs each way). The '13/'14 Recaro seats were the roomiest of all, less of a track seat but sporty for sure. The cloth GT350 Recaro's were the "grippiest" due to the fabric which made them feel like they were the tightest. The '20 Recaro seats in the GT500 are an interesting study and here's why...you can only get somewhere around 200 miles to a tankful (hauling ass for hours on end) so the fatigue isn't as bad as it is when traveling in the GT350. I'm 6', 220lbs (and I like horses and long walks on the beach) and I can honestly say they aren't as bad as the GT350 versions. If you don't plan on lengthy trips and just fart around town, and track on occasion, they'd be fine for you unless you are a seriously big dude.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Sat in a 2020 a couple of weeks ago and those Recaros are super tight on my shoulders and lats. Very different feel from the 13-14 cars.

Talked to a forum friend and he said he had heard the same from another owner who had both cars.

Edmunds long-term car had two different staffers comment the 2020 Recaros are not super comfortable on roadtrips.

Watched this video and the reviewer says the same thing twice in the first 5 minutes of the video. Comparing the 13-14 Recaros to his 350R which is the same seat as the 500.

I like the weight savings but I wish the dimensions were similar to the 13-14 cars for comfort. Looks like I'm getting base seats. I'm kind of disappointed.
I have the 350R and drove it from VA to CO. I love the Recaros, but wish they had some adjustability.

P.S. I have the Fiesta ST w/ Recaros and like them better than the GT350R’s.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I would echo everyone above, and suggest you go by YOUR trial, as everyone fits differently.
Still, as Tob said you’ll only be in them on long road trips for a few hours anyway. 99% of the time will be street driving.
I’d love the Recaros to be cooled, but that’s it.
The comfort seats are still very nice.
-J

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I'm 6'1" 230lbs, and like them.

Sent from my Potato

I wish I were 230! I'm fairly lean at that weight. But I'm a bit fluffier these days due to craziness at work post-pandemic and eating poorly and not meal-prepping. Those seats felt tight up top.

Unless you’re tracking I think you’re going to be surprised how much you like the heat/cool seats. :)

I do love the cooled seats but would gladly trade the weight the come with.

I had '13 Recaro's in my '09 GT500, Recaro's in my '16 GT350, and have Recaro's in my '20 GT500. I've had numerous lengthy trips in them (14-16hrs each way). The '13/'14 Recaro seats were the roomiest of all, less of a track seat but sporty for sure. The cloth GT350 Recaro's were the "grippiest" due to the fabric which made them feel like they were the tightest. The '20 Recaro seats in the GT500 are an interesting study and here's why...you can only get somewhere around 200 miles to a tankful (hauling ass for hours on end) so the fatigue isn't as bad as it is when traveling in the GT350. I'm 6', 220lbs (and I like horses and long walks on the beach) and I can honestly say they aren't as bad as the GT350 versions. If you don't plan on lengthy trips and just fart around town, and track on occasion, they'd be fine for you unless you are a seriously big dude.

Great insight, and from sitting in the 2020 car I can see exactly what you're talking about. As I said above, I'm a bit fluffier than usual but nothing too crazy. It's not the side bolsters, it's the upper part of the seat that seems narrow. And, like yourself, I love a long roadtrip once or twice a year.

I have the 350R and drove it from VA to CO. I love the Recaros, but wish they had some adjustability.

P.S. I have the Fiesta ST w/ Recaros and like them better than the GT350R’s.

Nice! I drove from Va. Beach to Colorado via Nashville and OKC in my 2014 GT500. A wonderful trip! I hope you either skipped Kansas or made good time through the western part of that state! (I always drive through Northern NM when driving to and from OKC).

I would echo everyone above, and suggest you go by YOUR trial, as everyone fits differently.
Still, as Tob said you’ll only be in them on long road trips for a few hours anyway. 99% of the time will be street driving.
I’d love the Recaros to be cooled, but that’s it.
The comfort seats are still very nice.
-J

I read the motor trend first drive and they said the base seats were very comfortable.

Last edited:

99BOSS

Established Member
I drove my new 21 home today and its got Recaros. I love the feel/support but today after about 280 miles it seemed like the lower seat bolstering began to push into the sides of my thighs. Im 6'2" 220 but back/shoulders were fine. Also these seats are new and stiff. They may soften up/recontour to your body over time. Im amazed at how much room is in these newer mustangs. My last mustang was a 04 Cobra and those were much smaller inside than these are. These new cars are very roomy and comfortable. I even ran my seat up some to get the proper amount of legroom and had a good amount of room between my seatback and the rear seat.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
I wish I were 230! I'm fairly lean at that weight. But I'm a bit fluffier these days due to craziness at work post-pandemic and eating poorly and not meal-prepping. Those seats felt tight up top.

I do love the cooled seats but would gladly trade the weight the come with.

Great insight, and from sitting in the 2020 car I can see exactly what you're talking about. As I said above, I'm a bit fluffier than usual but nothing too crazy. It's not the side bolsters, it's the upper part of the seat that seems narrow. And, like yourself, I love a long roadtrip once or twice a year.

Nice! I drove from Va. Beach to Colorado via Nashville and OKC in my 2014 GT500. A wonderful trip! I hope you either skipped Kansas or made good time through the western part of that state! (I always drive through Northern NM when driving to and from OKC).

I read the motor trend first drive and they said the base seats were very comfortable.
In ‘16, I drove my Gt500 from Italy to the Nurburgring. The car was comfortable, but very loud (lth and no cats). In many areas I traveled at 105mph and at that speed, wind noise was predominant over the exhaust.

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I drove my new 21 home today and its got Recaros. I love the feel/support but today after about 280 miles it seemed like the lower seat bolstering began to push into the sides of my thighs. Im 6'2" 220 but back/shoulders were fine. Also these seats are new and stiff. They may soften up/recontour to your body over time. Im amazed at how much room is in these newer mustangs. My last mustang was a 04 Cobra and those were much smaller inside than these are. These new cars are very roomy and comfortable. I even ran my seat up some to get the proper amount of legroom and had a good amount of room between my seatback and the rear seat.

That's enough for me! It's nearly universal that the Recaros are very supportive and great track seats but for guys who are over 6' and over 200 who are mainly grand touring with the occasional track day the base seats are possibly the better choice. Wanting your feedback on the sound system as well.

In ‘16, I drove my Gt500 from Italy to the Nurburgring. The car was comfortable, but very loud (lth and no cats). In many areas I traveled at 105mph and at that speed, wind noise was predominant over the exhaust.

Wow, roadtrip of a lifetime! Did you run the ring? How fast did you get going on their roads getting to and from?

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, I did 8 laps, started with a full tank, and had a low fuel light by the end of my last lap. In Italy, I had my car up to 185MPH on the Autostrada (Italian autobahn, but limited in speed).

Attachments

• Shelby Nurburgring.jpg
    Shelby Nurburgring.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 66

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
Yes, I did 8 laps, started with a full tank, and had a low fuel light by the end of my last lap. In Italy, I had my car up to 185MPH on the Autostrada (Italian autobahn, but limited in speed).

Very nice, I can't even imagine how amazing that was! Car-guy trip of a lifetime!

Regarding the seats...

The Recaros that were in the 13-14 GT500s (earlier Bosses also) are Recaro Sport seats, while the Recaros that are in the 2020+ GT500s are Recaro Performance seats. The Sport seats are also optional on GTs and Mach 1s even today. Ford Performance sells a leather pair which is available for about 3K but no Cobra stitch design. All the Recaros look much sexier than the base seats. And if you're gonna have them then better have the Cobra stitching or it just wouldn't look right in a Shelby. So that means trying to find new OEM seat covers for a 13-14 GT500 and having them installed on the new seats. Could probably try and find some 13-14 seats in great condition that are part outs and see if the brackets are different from the newer cars.

So to cap off my very early morning insomnia with a completely superfluous mental exercise...either get the standard Recaros and deal with them being not quite as roomy or stay with the base seats and take the weight penalty. Finding the Sport seats and getting covers with the Cobra logos is too expensive and too much work to be worthwhile for the weight and comfort benefit.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds to me that you're going to be happier long term with the base seats. You do NOT want to get seats that will be uncomfortable on average, knocking down your overall driving experience. Unless you're tracking, which you won't be, comfort trumps tighter fit.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Base seats in that car are lame bro. Get these if u want comfort and style.

I just bought a set these...... Freaking awesome! 25 lbs. each. Only CF I could find with a reclinable back rest.

Users who are viewing this thread