No Replacement for Displacement | Is it Time for a 5.7L Tall-Deck Coyote???

No Replacement for Displacement | Is it Time for a 5.7L Tall-Deck Coyote???

Tall_Deck_Coyote_017.jpg

Let’s face it, the 5.0 Coyote V8 has introduced an era of Ford Pony Car dominance the likes of which we’ve never really seen. The Terminator absolutely crushed the competition in its day, but that was a time where Mustang was really the only active pony car offering. Coyote has had challengers from both Mopar and Chevy during its three (so far) generation run. In the GT class the competition doesn’t really touch if, and when you start adding mods the dominance is even more apparent.

However, once you leave the world of performance cars and step into the truck arena things are a bit difference. When you start adding weight low end torque and a flat torque curve start to become more important than high-revving horsepower. Then you have to consider that both GM and Ram are offering much larger displacement V8s. The GM 6.2L truck engine is particularly potent; and other than the cylinder deactivation eventually crapping out, it’s a pretty good engine. Rumor has it that Mopar is going to start installing a larger displacement HEMI in their half-ton trucks as well.

Tall_Deck_Coyote_007.jpg

GM built this tall-deck LSX block and it can be stretched to 454 cubic inches.

That leaves Ford with a comparatively small, yet far more technologically advanced, 5.0 V8 and a bunch of V6 engines. While the 3.5L EcoBoost is a seriously powerful engine, there’s a large contingent of buyers who can’t see themselves anything other than a big Ford V8. Ford those buyers even the fantastic Coyote may fall a little short of their expectations. But there is a throwback technique Ford could use to bring a new level of performance to the Coyote platform.

Tall_Deck_Coyote_006.jpg

Which of these appeal to you?

The first Ford modular engine was a 4.6L V8 (progenitor of the 5.0 Coyote) introduced in 1991 Lincoln Town Car. Six years later Ford stretched the 4.6 block to make the 5.4L V8 that we came to know and love across multiple utilitarian and SVT platforms. The same method could be applied to the 3rd Gen Coyote, and if the stroke were kept the same as the five-four you would end up with a 5.7L V8. To me; that is an appropriately sized top-of-the-line ½ ton truck V8, and it would take a minimal amount of effort from Ford Powertrain Engineering.

Tall_Deck_Coyote_009.jpg

Ford has dropped a tall-deck 32V V8 in a "truck" before. Look up the Lincoln Blackwood.

We would only need a handful of new parts to make this work. Of course you’re going to need a new tall-deck block, but that’s easy enough. They can either stretch the Coyote mold of Coyote’ize the old 5.4 block. Then there’re new rods and probably a cam profile. The primary timing chains and front cover are going to need to be a bit longer, and the intake manifold will have the be a bit wider. The wiring harness and exhaust will require a little tweeking. They might be able to just know the dust off the Trinity 5.8L crank tooling and use those forged arms. In any event, this isn’t rocket science. Ford could make this happen if there was a market for it.

Tall_Deck_Coyote_003.jpg

The 6.2L Ford V8 was nicely sized, but a bit on the piggy side.

So what would a 5.7L tall-Deck Coyote V8 put out? The last time we had big and little V8 options in the F-150 was 2010, back before EcoBoost was a thing. At that time Ford actually bragged about having an All-V8 Engine lineup. You could have a 4.6L (in either 2V or 3V configuration) or a 5.4L 3V. For comparison’s sake let’s focus on the 3V engines. The 4.6L made 292 HP @ 5700RPM and 320 Lb-Ft @ 4000RPM.

While the 5.4L was churning out 320HP @ 5000RPM and 390 Lb-Ft @ 3500RPM* (these are the factory rating while using E-85, on regular gas peak numbers were 310/365 at the same RPM readings). The current 3rd Gen 5.0 in a 2018+ F-150 is rated at 395HP @ 5750RPM and 400 Lb-Ft @ 4500 RPM.

Tall_Deck_Coyote_005.jpg

We don't look back at the 5.4L 3V very fondly, but it did make decent torque at low RPMs.

That’s a difference of 28HP and 70Lb-Ft,and the 5.4 was making peak torque 500RPMs earlier on its highest output 3V version. Even if the a 5.7L Coyote made roughly the same increases over the 5.0 as we saw with the old 3V engines you’d be looking at a top line V8 making somewhere in the neighborhood of 425HP @ 5500RPM and 470 Lb-Ft @ 4000RPM. That’s enough to make it the most powerful V8 gas engine offering in a half-ton truck (2019+ GM 6.2 V8 makes 420HP @ 5600RPM and 460 Lb-Ft @ 4100RPM).

Tall_Deck_Coyote_016.jpg

The 5.0 Coyote is a great engine, but the F-150 could use a little more V8 grunt.

Personally, I think if Ford were to produce such an engine we could expect output to be a little higher. That’s mostly due to all the technology advantages the 3rd Gen Coyote architecture has over the old 3-Valve stuff. If I were to hazard a guess I would peg a tall-deck Coyote headed V8 at around 435HP @ 5700 RPM and 485 Lb-Ft @ 4000 RPM.

Tall_Deck_Coyote_002.jpg

A positive displacement blower is a great way to add torque, but a longer stroke from the factory would be a lot more economical.

Now the big question, is there a market for a long stroke Coyote? There was a market for a 351 over a 302, and a 5.4 over a 4.6. I don’t see why there wouldn’t be buyers for a torquier version of one of the best V8s Ford has produced. But it really comes down to you guys. If a 5.7L Coyote in an F-150 is something you’d like to see post in this thread. Ford keeps an eye on SVTP, so they’ll see your opinion. Let them know.

Tall_Deck_Coyote_001.jpg

Just imagine a 5.8L Coyote headed V8 in a new Cobra Mustang from Ford. Tell them to make it a reality.
-SID297

This opinion always interests me. Why does the valve arrangement matter?
It doesnt matter per say, but in the grand scheme of things. I'm not planning on revving my pickup that will be towing things to 7k rpm all the time to use the most power potential that 4v heads offer. I could argue that same logic with the old school 4v Cleveland heads myself, as they were, and still are lackluster under 3500 rpm.

Another thing to look at is cost, lifetime, and simplicity. 4v heads are nothing to sneer at, but in a fleet situation, less things to fail, the better off. Longevity, while I havent heard of any issues with the coyote platform, it makes power at a higher rpm. Back to the fleet, I dont want my drivers revving my trucks all the time to tow a load from A to B. Cost. You ever rebuilt a set of 4v heads from top to bottom? It ain't cheap. 32 valves to grind and lap, as opposed to 16. This is in a v8 application.

Someone with a little more knowledge on port designs, and the likes may be able to put a little more insite on the situation too.

I know the duramax, 24v Cummins, 6.0, 6.4, & 6.7 powerstrokes will be brought up, but they're turbocharged diesels that run like crap without any boost. (I work on em, I've experienced it, it's an interesting drive back to the shop when CAC tubing fails, or blows off. Lol)

Dont get me wrong my inner power chasing freak would love to see the 4v 5.7 coyote, but really, it's not in fords interest. If they were going to do it, the 6.2, or 3.5 ecoboost would never have existed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Dude, you're giving away your too-young age. The correct expression for us old guys is, "There is no substitute for cubic inches."

Having said that, with 15 years of Ford showroom-available boosted cars, yes, there IS a substitute for cubic inches. It's called a blower. The only reason GM is boosting 6.2s instead of 5.0s is that they're not going to replace their LS motors with an OHC version any time soon. I'm with Lariat. All the work on smaller displacement boosted motors gives Ford a leg up on keeping cars driveable and economical while still packing a good punch.

It doesnt matter per say, but in the grand scheme of things. I'm not planning on revving my pickup that will be towing things to 7k rpm all the time to use the most power potential that 4v heads offer. I could argue that same logic with the old school 4v Cleveland heads myself, as they were, and still are lackluster under 3500 rpm.

Another thing to look at is cost, lifetime, and simplicity. 4v heads are nothing to sneer at, but in a fleet situation, less things to fail, the better off. Longevity, while I havent heard of any issues with the coyote platform, it makes power at a higher rpm. Back to the fleet, I dont want my drivers revving my trucks all the time to tow a load from A to B. Cost. You ever rebuilt a set of 4v heads from top to bottom? It ain't cheap. 32 valves to grind and lap, as opposed to 16. This is in a v8 application.

Someone with a little more knowledge on port designs, and the likes may be able to put a little more insite on the situation too.

I know the duramax, 24v Cummins, 6.0, 6.4, & 6.7 powerstrokes will be brought up, but they're turbocharged diesels that run like crap without any boost. (I work on em, I've experienced it, it's an interesting drive back to the shop when CAC tubing fails, or blows off. Lol)

Dont get me wrong my inner power chasing freak would love to see the 4v 5.7 coyote, but really, it's not in fords interest. If they were going to do it, the 6.2, or 3.5 ecoboost would never have existed.

Funny you mention the diesel thing. I've blown the CAC tube off a 6.4 Powerstroke towing trailer. It was a struggle to make it a few miles on flat ground and keep the EGTs from going through the roof.

Every engine Ford uses in the F-150 is a 4V. Variable cam timing and intake design has basically removed low-rpm cylinder filling issues.

The 6.2 is dead. Sadly, it looks like that architecture is going away. Though some of the basic dimensions may live on in the 7.3L Godzilla engine.

As for cost, a tall-deck Coyote would be relatively inexpensive. Most of the engineering has either been done, or done in a similar fashion before. The real costs would be lost production efficiencies parts not hared between the 5.0 and 5.7.

I don't think any manufacturer considers cost to rebuild in a fleet situation. They would all rather you buy a new truck.

Funny you mention the diesel thing. I've blown the CAC tube off a 6.4 Powerstroke towing trailer. It was a struggle to make it a few miles on flat ground and keep the EGTs from going through the roof.

Every engine Ford uses in the F-150 is a 4V. Variable cam timing and intake design has basically removed low-rpm cylinder filling issues.

The 6.2 is dead. Sadly, it looks like that architecture is going away. Though some of the basic dimensions may live on in the 7.3L Godzilla engine.

As for cost, a tall-deck Coyote would be relatively inexpensive. Most of the engineering has either been done, or done in a similar fashion before. The real costs would be lost production efficiencies parts not hared between the 5.0 and 5.7.

I don't think any manufacturer considers cost to rebuild in a fleet situation. They would all rather you buy a new truck.
Blowing CAC boots is the bane of my existence on test drives. Lol, I carry an 11mm socket and wrench with me at all times now.

While I cant argue the ever present use of the 4v across all engine platforms in the f series, (less the 6.2) and its success for the most part, the power they generate is mostly in the higher range of RPM. Now that's also a given being they have a smaller displacement to boot. Now being a smaller displacement, is a 4v per cylinder head needed? Look at what GM has done with the LS platform. No, I highly doubt ford will up and do away with the OHC/DOHC designs they have came up with

I'm saddened the 6.2 was a short lived powerplant, I honestly think it could have been a stout platform for generations to come, but time stands still for no man, and emissions are crunching down. I think a 7+ liter engine is a bold move, however, I doubt it will be a bad one.

No, manufacturers dont look at what fleets will be spending, but they look at what theyll be buying. I have seen a good bit of local fleets steering away from the newer fords, and going to Dodge vehicles. Why? I couldnt say, I'm not versed well enough, and not going to spew out false/incorrect statements.

I honestly think the lost production efficiency alone would be enough to steer ford away from the tall deck coyote. To have castings made for the other parts would also be enough of a deterrent in my opinion as well. It may not be hard or expensive, but looking at what it may do to the sales of the 5.0, or 3.5 Eco is enough to deter them.

Not so sure.... A tall deck would likely mess with volumetric efficiency and parasitic power loss, which would take away from two of the Coyote's greatest strengths.

Would impact my buying decision. I’d like a stronger truck motor than the current 5.0, it works well and over performs, but I think the 5.7L option would do much better. The additional torque and earlier hp would be very noticeable while towing, and carrying a payload through mountain passes.

Could likely step down to a taller final drive ratio to conserve fuel, and really leverage the 10a’s spread. I imagine it could be set up with variable valve timing and direct/port split injection to deliver roughly 25mpg highway on a smaller cab configuration.

Yall do realize that GM has moved on from LS to LT engines now and has moved even further passed them on a few applications. So all this LS hate is for a dead engine.

I am close to needing a new motor for my Gen 2 Lightning. Was thinking about a twin turbo 5.0, but I really want a BIG V-8.
Please, don't make me beg......(I was even thinking LS....in desperation)

I for one would like to see this happen, although make it an even 5.8L displacement coyote based V8 just for historical sake. What I cant wrap my head around, despite being a former maintenance department supervisor with Ford, is why on earth does Ford cede market share to its competitors in V8 powered vehicles.

I get that for many people, they are perfectly happy with Ecoboost engines, they serve a purpose in the market however they are not representative of what the entire spectrum of potential consumers want. I have a 3.5L ecoboost in my Taurus SHO and while I think it performs decently enough I would have preferred a V8 with turbochargers or even a N/A V8 over this powertrain.

What I would like to see from a potential gasoline V8 line up from Ford for the F series trucks and Mustang would be this:

1) 5.0L N/A coyote V8 - F150 and Mustang GT making around 500 Hp

2) 5.8L N/A coyote V8 - F150 and specialty Mustang model (Mach 1/Bullitt) making 550 Hp

3) 5.2L N/A FPC V8 - Shelby GT350 Mustang making 580 Hp

4) 5.2L or 5.8L supercharged or twin turbo V8 - Shelby GT500 making 850 Hp, base GT500 may opt for 800 Hp on lower boost or CR, and 850 Hp for a GT500KR model

5) 7.0L NA V8 - F series truck (Raptor or other model) and specialty Mustang (Boss 429) making 625 Hp

This would complement the current engine line up offering consumers a wider choice of powertrain options thus stemming potential loss of consumers to competing brands who offer several gasoline V8 options.

I am extremely disappointed that FCA and GM are launching more and more V8 vehicles and Ford management doesnt seem to want to give us the engines and options we want, I cant stand listening to Dodge fan boys brag about the Hellcat and Demon when just a few years ago they had nothing to even remotely compete with Ford cars and trucks

A new 5.7 could be shared with the F150,F250,F350 as a base engine for the F250.

The super duty engines need a bigger engine than a 5.7. it also should be a 5.8 displacement if they do one.

I love the idea but it needs to be a 5.8L and not a 5.7L. The question is how much more would it drive the price up of the already insanely priced F150?

Totally agree with this!

I for one would like to see this happen, although make it an even 5.8L displacement coyote based V8 just for historical sake. What I cant wrap my head around, despite being a former maintenance department supervisor with Ford, is why on earth does Ford cede market share to its competitors in V8 powered vehicles.

I get that for many people, they are perfectly happy with Ecoboost engines, they serve a purpose in the market however they are not representative of what the entire spectrum of potential consumers want. I have a 3.5L ecoboost in my Taurus SHO and while I think it performs decently enough I would have preferred a V8 with turbochargers or even a N/A V8 over this powertrain.

What I would like to see from a potential gasoline V8 line up from Ford for the F series trucks and Mustang would be this:

1) 5.0L N/A coyote V8 - F150 and Mustang GT making around 500 Hp

2) 5.8L N/A coyote V8 - F150 and specialty Mustang model (Mach 1/Bullitt) making 550 Hp

3) 5.2L N/A FPC V8 - Shelby GT350 Mustang making 580 Hp

4) 5.2L or 5.8L supercharged or twin turbo V8 - Shelby GT500 making 850 Hp, base GT500 may opt for 800 Hp on lower boost or CR, and 850 Hp for a GT500KR model

5) 7.0L NA V8 - F series truck (Raptor or other model) and specialty Mustang (Boss 429) making 625 Hp

This would complement the current engine line up offering consumers a wider choice of powertrain options thus stemming potential loss of consumers to competing brands who offer several gasoline V8 options.

I am extremely disappointed that FCA and GM are launching more and more V8 vehicles and Ford management doesnt seem to want to give us the engines and options we want, I cant stand listening to Dodge fan boys brag about the Hellcat and Demon when just a few years ago they had nothing to even remotely compete with Ford cars and trucks

This is exactly what they need to do.

I would go on to say that the Raptor needs a twin turbo 5.0 option, it really ruins their sales of the raptor when you can only buy it with a V6

While id love to see ford make a tall deck coyote what they really need to do is make a spread bore coyote variant. The tall deck is cheap and great for something like a halfton truck but the limiting factor that has always put ford behind the others is cubic inches. if they made a 7.0L version of the coyote that could later be stroked to 7.5L it would be game over for every other manufacture for a decade.

Ok, so why is everyone debating the cost of the 5.0 and keeping it in the Mustang only? The clear course of action would be to first make it a 5.8L because 5.7 is not a Ford displacement number. Ford made 351s not 350s remember? Second drop the 5.0 all together and make the Mustang and the F150 engine offering simply be the new 5.8 Coyote motor. Problem solved. Now Ford can share the cost of the motor across multiple platforms easily again.

Also, please for the love of God make this motor!

They have to be EPA compliant and the current Gen3 coyote already makes ridiculous power plus the 3.5L V6 will pull a house. Just because ageing boomers "can't see themselves in a V6 truck" doesn't mean its a good idea for Ford to add an unecessary engine. That 3.5L TT will assrape any other engine in the lineup including a 5.8L NA Coyote.

a direct injected 5.8 coyote in truck tune would match or beat the current max torque of an eco and probably have 40 more hp. port velocity would increase significantly, and the 10 speed would play to its rpm range.............and it would sound a shit ton better

Skip the 5.7 nomenclature altogether, too much like gm or mopar...punch it out to a 5.8, aka 351, a number that would play well to the Ford base. The new Boss 351 anyone?

Should have been an aluminum block, direct injected, 4 valve 6.2. It would have been an evolutionary path similar but faster than the 4.6 2V to the 5.8 4V. And it would be superior to any tall deck Coyote power wise. Wouldn't cost much more than a tall deck Coyote (relatively speaking) since the machining line was there. We've been handcuffed by the damn bore centers since what, 1992?..... its enough to make you hate Ford if you dwell on it. An inch in block length would have changed everything.

I swear I thought I was reading a post of mine. You took the words right out of my head.
Aluminum 4-valve 6.2 should have been. Since it won’t then a Coyote based 5.7/5.8 would definitely be my next go to. It just seems to me it is a natural progression to follow imho.

-Ken

a direct injected 5.8 coyote in truck tune would match or beat the current max torque of an eco and probably have 40 more hp. port velocity would increase significantly, and the 10 speed would play to its rpm range.............and it would sound a shit ton better

Compare the dyno graph of a stock 2.7 and stock 5.0 F-150 and get back to us on that. As much as I prefer the power delivery and simplicity of a V8, you're going to have a very difficult time matching the down low torque of a proper TT v6 motor.

Hell, just look at the 6.2 in the Silverado vs the 3.5 Ecoboost.
Silverado:
Peak Torque: 460
Peak torque RPM: 4100

3.5 Ecoboost:
Peak Torque: 470
Peak Torque RPM: 2250-3500

I would love to see it, but no way is a 5.8L DOHC motor making 470 tq at even 3500 rpms. Not if it also wants to be making 400+ HP.

Users who are viewing this thread