Non-Ford Issue - Durango R/T - Longish Read

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Yeah, because BMW's are known for not having issues..lol.

I can say that BMWs are much more predictable when it comes to their issues, but yes, they do have issues as they get a few years older and cost for repair is debatable. BMW will run you more as labor is a higher rate and parts are usually more expensive, but time for diag can make up the difference. OP could end up paying for hours and hours more in diag time when the BMW may need as much as 2-3hrs to solve the problem on average. Usually with plagued Jeeps or Dodges we would have to cut the diag time down or negotiate it because we were easily crossing the 8hrs or more in diag time, and so seeing $1000+ in diag time on your invoice doesn't sit well with most people. We specialized in BMWs and I can say that I would take a BMW over an FCA any day.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I can understand harping on fca qa/qc but the transmissions are made by a proven company.

Same one ford wanted to build them a 10 speed until ZF said it wasn't worth building a 10 speed over their existing 8 speed.

SSSSSSSSSSSSVT

Established Member
I can say that BMWs are much more predictable when it comes to their issues, but yes, they do have issues as they get a few years older and cost for repair is debatable. BMW will run you more as labor is a higher rate and parts are usually more expensive, but time for diag can make up the difference. OP could end up paying for hours and hours more in diag time when the BMW may need as much as 2-3hrs to solve the problem on average. Usually with plagued Jeeps or Dodges we would have to cut the diag time down or negotiate it because we were easily crossing the 8hrs or more in diag time, and so seeing $1000+ in diag time on your invoice doesn't sit well with most people. We specialized in BMWs and I can say that I would take a BMW over an FCA any day.
upload_2021-5-1_11-18-32.png

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
If you doubt what I said about them then I don't know what to tell you. I understand the skepticism as I had no clue until I started to work with them on a regular basis. It's the only brand I have ever heard of that has caused shops to stop working on them altogether. Not saying every car is going to have the same issues, but it was at least every 3-6mo that I had an FCA vehicle in that became an absolute money pit for all parties involved. The last two I dealt with were both 2015 Jeeps; a Grand Cherokee and a regular Cherokee. Between the two our shop lost about $12k in the end and the dealer worked on both and couldn't solve the issue. The Grand Cherokee was overheating from the start and by the end of it we had replaced the entire cooling system and the engine with a reman and it still overheated on the customer just the same as it did when it came in. Luckily the customer just traded it in out of frustration rather than bring it back and I'm super glad they did because explain that!? We looked at every aspect of it including the tunes which is why we had the dealer try and diag it so we could get a 2nd opinion. How do you change out every single part of the cooling system to brand new parts and still have an overheating engine that boils out coolant after 45min of driving? The Cherokee was even more perplexing and it ended up receiving the same treatment in the end. Both customer dumped the cars out of frustration because they knew that we couldn't solve it and they knew the dealer couldn't solve it either.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

I've had my share of Bimmers. They were trouble from the start. My point is...it is luck of the draw. Most cars are complete shit dressed up in fancy leathers now days.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Honestly used prices are insane, so I’d fully take a great deal from Carvana or a dealer and get into a new Durango. They still make them I hear.
I’ve had 3 FCA ZF auto trans and no issues.
Other option if you really like your current ride is letting another dealer go at it as it’s under warranty. Bring your papers from previous repairs and push for a new TCM and/or trans. Then I’d get a tune and turn the adaptive learning off. It seems that is clearly the issue.
-J

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I'd roll it while used prices are higher than ever.

Sent from my Potato
This.

Now is the time to sell. People are paying more than new prices for used because of availability shortage at the moment.

Right now, it's the chip shortage, but there is scuttlebutt about a rubber shortage around the corner.

hotcobra03

Established Member
transmission issues are getting tricky

Here's one

We brought a 2010 tundra used
70 k miles

Every morning at the first stop transmission would slip.

Took it back. They reflashed pcm

Truck still did it. Strange it was only on the first stop.

Fast forward 5 yes

Truck now got a new issue.

Transmission goes into limp mode

Clear pcm ,fine for a day or two.

Got a code for some sensor on air tube .

Reading forums said replace part.

I cleaned it. Got code to go away

Now funny. No more transmission slip at first stop and no limp mode

Users who are viewing this thread