Noob question!!!!!

Layingrubber

Established Member
Soooo, I recently installed an axle-back exhaust and an offroad x pipe on my 2014 gt500. These are my only modifications besides the intake resonator delete. I have not driven it yet.

Question: Will i need a tune for these modifications, and if I dont will the check engine light come on due to the cat delete? Basically, whats my next step?

Yes, I realize i should have asked this question before install.

sleek98

Established Member
If you didnt change the MAF housing your good to go. If you changed the entire intake out to say a JLT which changes the maf housing size you will need a tune.

Edit* didnt see the off road X pipe. That will cause a light the majority of the time. I would get a tune.

Last edited:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Does your offroad x-pipe delete any sensors?

WVTrakPak

Established Member
You need the tune. It may be ok to drive and possibly not hurt anything but a tune makes such a difference. It is money very well spent.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
You will get a code for cat inefficiency if you don't have cats. System looks for upstream vs downstream and if it doesn't see a difference, you'll get a code.

There's also the cat protection stuff. If the cats get overheated, raw fuel is introduced into the substrate to cool it off. (The reason why you'll see cat protected vehicles go very rich up top).

Federal law has become VERY strictly enforced in the past couple of years and your buds at VW and Harley Davidson have really fanned the flames.

Take that as a little tidbit of info when you look for someone to tune your car for no cats.

bj

Sultan AQ

Established Member
Soooo, I recently installed an axle-back exhaust and an offroad x pipe on my 2014 gt500. These are my only modifications besides the intake resonator delete. I have not driven it yet.

Question: Will i need a tune for these modifications, and if I dont will the check engine light come on due to the cat delete? Basically, whats my next step?

Yes, I realize i should have asked this question before install.

I have done the same "offroad x pipe & intake resonator delete " and I drove my car for two weeks then check engine light went on. If you have intake resonator delete only then you don't need tune.

50stangpower

Established Member
If you have emissions checked know your state make sure you get someone that doesn't just turn the rear O2's off. It won't pads emissions. There are ways around it, just talk to your tuner.

Beercules

Established Member
Wait...a tune will help you pass emissions if you removed cats?

I live in a non emissions state and never thought about it.

Users who are viewing this thread