noob rear suspension questions

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
Just purchased a '12 Boss 302. LOVE IT !!! :dancenana:

One problem, this thing wheel hops worse than my Pontiac G8.

My plan, maybe taking it autoxing once or twice a year. With that in mind it will be predominately a street car.

Questions:
1) BMR sells a set of rear springs that are a linear rate 160 lb/sq.in. The stock rear Boss springs are approx. 180 lb/sq.in. The BMR springs will lower the rear 1.25". My thought, a softer spring will need a stiffer swaybar to maintain the factory handling. Is this correct thinking? What kind of handing issues are there by just leveling the ride height?? Anyone make a rear spring that will lower the car with the same spring rate as stock??
2) I understand that the wheel hop issue can be solved with control arms. I have also seen LCA relocation brackets. I always thought these brackets were for drag racing. Are LCA relocation brackets suitable and needed for auto crossing??
3) If I can use the LCA brackets for auto crossing, are adjustable UCA/LCA required to maintain pinion angle??

Sorry for the length. I bought a car intended for road type racing and I just want to enjoy it that way. Thanks :bowdown:

kbroush

Established Member
First off with the spring rates if you stick as close to the factory rates as you can you will be better off. If you get a softer spring and a stiffer sway bar they will not equal each other out. You will have less body roll with more front to rear dive. I installed the eibach pro kit springs on my 2013 boss and love them. They are progressive rate and lowered the rear of my boss 1 1/4 inches and the front lowered just a 1/4 inch. This leveled the car out and it has way less brake dive. For wheel hop the best thing is to get aftermarket lca's. BBR makes a nice set. I plan on getting the ford racing lca's which are used on the boss 302r and have urethane bushings. Your sway bars are as stiff as you will need. Other than these things mentioned above tires are the best investment for autox for improved handling. These are just my opinions and i am by no means a pro but hopefully this helps you.

Users who are viewing this thread