Not going into reverse.

Kyle03

My throwout bearing went out in my cobra so I went ahead and ordered a McLeod clutch kit and flywheel and a new pilot bearing. I was messing with the shifter today and realized I can’t put it into reverse at all with it running or while it’s off. Should I be worried that’s something wrong with my transmission?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
probably not, but here's a good test...

with the key on/engine off, does it go into reverse easily?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
depress the cutch pedal when you do it.

if it does go into reverse easily, the issue is probably due to incorrect cable tension adjustment. do you have an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant?

best of luck with it.

Kyle03

depress the cutch pedal when you do it.

if it does go into reverse easily, the issue is probably due to incorrect cable tension adjustment. do you have an aftermarket firewall adjuster and quadrant?

best of luck with it.
No sir everything is stock

CobraSam

Established Member
As stated, check the fuse for the circuit that your reverse lockout solenoid is on.
Sounds like a reverse lockout issue. Can you muscle it up into reverse? If so, it’s definitely the solenoid. The solenoid is unlocked anytime under 5mph, allowing u to shift into R. If there’s an issue with the solenoid, it won’t unlock and you’ll have to force the solenoid plunger/spring in so it will go into R.
It might require a little more effort than u think it should, fyi

Kyle03

As stated, check the fuse for the circuit that your reverse lockout solenoid is on.
Sounds like a reverse lockout issue. Can you muscle it up into reverse? If so, it’s definitely the solenoid. The solenoid is unlocked anytime under 5mph, allowing u to shift into R. If there’s an issue with the solenoid, it won’t unlock and you’ll have to force the solenoid plunger/spring in so it will go into R.
It might require a little more effort than u think it should, fyi
Will the solenoid affect it if the car isn’t running?

causajt

Established Member
The reverse solenoid defaults to locked. If you left it unplugged it will make it very difficult to shift into reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraSam

Established Member
Key off/engine on-solenoid remains locked and it will be difficult to get into R.
Key on/engine off or on-soneloind will unlock (under 5mph) and you will be able to shift into R.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread