Not happy, Tint Removal Experts regarding Back Window with Defroster lines

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Guys,
Pretty furious right now.
My 03 Cobra 7 year old tint on the back window was bubbling bad, so I decided to remove using the sun/black trash bag method. However, the tint seemed really old and my NOOB experience did not help.
I only was able to get the top layer of tint off and now I'm suck with a purple film and the only way it will come off is with a razor blade, little by little in flakes. But I'm near the defroster lines and they are in the way.
What are my options?
I'm about to take it to a professional but I think I really messed it up already:shrug:
Please give me hope.

Thanks for the input...

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
ok, soak it with window cleaner with AMONIA. then hit it with a plastic razor blade. i have de tinted thousands of windows, this works perfect every time. the key is the amonia in the window cleaner, it will eat the glue and it will fall right off with the plastic blade.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Steam is best.

If you cant, Simple green and a non scratch scotchbrite pad, takes time but is safe.

From,

A FORMER TINTER.

:beer:

stang1971

Established Member
ok, soak it with window cleaner with AMONIA. then hit it with a plastic razor blade. i have de tinted thousands of windows, this works perfect every time. the key is the amonia in the window cleaner, it will eat the glue and it will fall right off with the plastic blade.

this is ur best bet... i do tinting for a living and thats the last option... if that doesnt work then ur gonna have to scrape. if you had used amonia and the trash bag method... it prolly would have all come off.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Excellent advice above. Let us know how you make out. I'm betting you'll be able to get it off yourself without damaging the defroster grid.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
this is ur best bet... i do tinting for a living and thats the last option... if that doesnt work then ur gonna have to scrape. if you had used amonia and the trash bag method... it prolly would have all come off.

Thanks for the input guys...so, a plastic razor blade/ammonia/steam should not damage the defroster lines?

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I'm pretty sure I saw a window tint remover kit at either autozone or oriley. In all honesty I would just pay the little extra and let a pro do it.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Well guys, most likely gonna let a pro deal with this as I don't trust myself...Did not do it right from the start so what will change now...Damn, I'm impatient, you live, you learn

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Alright guys, tint is done...decided to get the entire car retinted a little lighter than Limo tint...
I think 35% Lumar which is a shade under legal up front if I'm not mistaken...
Pics to follow soon...

Users who are viewing this thread