Not quite the tick...what is it?

Blue_03_SVT

Established Member
So about a week ago i was sittin in the parking lot at work, about to shut off the car, and i could hear a tick...quiet, but a tick none the less, that hadnt been there before.:cuss: Got out, and near as i can tell it is loudest from about where the drivers side exhaust runs right behind the front tire.

Since then, anytime the car gets hot, i can hear it, and its slowly getting louder. Ive listened to the videos of "the tick" and its nowhere near that loud, but could it be the same thing? Still have warranty on the car, and would like to get it fixed if thats what it is. Any suggestions on other things to check first? It is very quiet when i first start it up, but when it gets hot ( and its been hot out here in SoCal lately) It actually gets loud enough to hear from about...5-6 feet away with the hood closed.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
The injectors are really loud on theses cars!

I though I had the tick on a cooler morning, but I was told its either injector pulse or piston slap on a cold start. I had my friend look at it and he said it was the injectors.

Then...I heard a car with the real tick....there is no mistaking that noise!

Blue_03_SVT

Established Member
I can distinctly hear the injectors, but they are a seperate, quieter noise, and its not piston slap, as it gets louder when it gets hotter, and is almost inaudible when cold.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
I have talked to some other people with same issue as you, but would put a colder thermostat and/or got a programmer to have the fans kick in much earlier, runs cool enough where it never ticks anymore.
But if your still under warranty I would atleast try to get the head replaced first.

Booboo17237

Established Member
do the hose test and see where it is coming from and it will help you figure out what it is, thats how i figured out it was just the injectors

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
corpsedub said:
kinda like this(it's actually louder but the lame camrea has the worst microphone ever made on it)?

http://home.comcast.net/~corpsedub/Project1.wmv

no i have not gotten it fixed. 3 dealers said they coulde reproduce it so i said fugit and twinscrewed it. if it blows, it goes. just another excuse for a built motor.

My car does the same thing...get's quieter when it gets warm, but never really goes away....I always just thought it was a little exhaust leak.

Nicky Pass

...boom goes the dynamite
Established Member
suaveflooder said:
My car does the same thing...get's quieter when it gets warm, but never really goes away....I always just thought it was a little exhaust leak.

+1

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Same here too. Its faint but its definately noticable when driving into my garage or against the barrier. It speeds up with engine rpm but does not get louder. The noise goes away at about 3000 rpm. I just figured its valvetrain noise or a slight exhaust leak. Car made great power over 2 months ago so im not worried about anything serious.

Jsko

Established Member
Yea, mine also, you barely notice it outside, don't even hear it when driving, however when I'm in a garage or something, I cant here it better. As far as I know when I bought the car, the warranty expired, however I have a 6 month power train warranty on the car from the dealership I got it at.

Car feels strong, I don't think its anything serious.

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
Jsko said:
Yea, mine also, you barely notice it outside, don't even hear it when driving, however when I'm in a garage or something, I cant here it better. As far as I know when I bought the car, the warranty expired, however I have a 6 month power train warranty on the car from the dealership I got it at.

Car feels strong, I don't think its anything serious.

I have heard some terminator motors that are very quiet and some noisy as hell. I just put down 470hp 482tq.. i doubt its anything serious.

Jsko

Established Member
Yea, I don't think it is. Plus my friends with a99 Cobra, and Mach 1 have similar noise as mine, so who knows. Ill hear it a little less when the magnaflow goes on, just need a O/R X-pipe.

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Its "THE TICK". Get it on the lift and start the car. Put a screw driver on the engine block near the rear. Buy the starter first, then by the other side. (Long Driver and put your ear to it. If you dont hear the ticking, do the same thing to the valve cover).

ReVviNg HiGh

Rev it up!
Established Member
SmokenGRA03 said:
Its "THE TICK". Get it on the lift and start the car. Put a screw driver on the engine block near the rear. Buy the starter first, then by the other side. (Long Driver and put your ear to it. If you dont hear the ticking, do the same thing to the valve cover).

The "tick" sounds like someone is hammering away on the motor. Its loud. One of my friends had it. This is a small faint tinsley tick that fades away above 3k rpm... for my car atleast.

Corona-Extra

Miles Away From Ordinary
Established Member
I have a similar issue with mine as well. It gets louder and quicker with higher RPM’s and eventually goes away after 3500… this makes me feel better now that I know these cars make a little noise and all that… as far as the injectors, is there anything that can be done to help the problem go away or make it less noticeable/loud?

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
Mine has this noise too.... goes away at higher rpms but is very noticable at low rpms next to a barrier and in my garage... I was kind off freaking out about it and thats how i found this thread... when i searched. So I would definatley know if it was the tick right???
It just started a couple of weeks ago. I'm in need of a 30K mile check-up and supposably they do some injector work then. I also accidentally put to much oil in my car on my last change...
My car is on stock boost and i have only heard of heavily modded cars getting this TICK...
How can we quite this down??

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
okay...well yesterday, I got my antifreez changed and system flushed and my oil changed and the "tick" is gone...go figure.....

Users who are viewing this thread